Gum Troubles

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
So......most walk off mats are DESIGNED to hold and trap soil, so it also is a trap for gum. What's the trick? I can heat it up to the point of melting, but it just spreads and sticks to the teflon glide. I've tried HellGell, PIGOUT, WD40, starting fluid spray....and some other "unmentionables", but it's still a bitch to get it completely out without many trys. Is the newer gum "sticky-er"?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
A good helper/tech that doesn't mind working on their knees and charge accordingly.
Score it, heat it and have your helper attack it and get the bulk of it off with a good solvent and repeat.
No easy way...always seems to be a m'fer no mater what is tried. Older the worse.
Better to have hired help on their knees with their face in the carpet than you.

Maybe check out the "Gun and Cuff" method.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Gum on those black mats is tough. We use citrol orange on gum and it never takes more than 2 application. But it starts to eat those black mats before it dissolves the gum.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
FLYERMAN said:
Two things "Clean" from Ultra Chem Labs or the Gun and Cuff. Here's a video that could use better lighting but it shows the basics. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmlm0vnq8Js&feature=plcp

Did you ever try Clean as a prespray? FREAKIN' AWESOME!Good for rust, blood, etc. as well.

P.S. That was a chironomid - still water fished, 15 foot leader , sink tip line or a fuull float, depending on water depth. Any other fly questions? LIKE!

Vivers

Supportive Member
Name
Bill
Blast it with full heat and a pressure gun while using your vacuum to catch rebound water as well as the gum that will peel right up. Then you can treat the little residue with Pro solv. Works killer!

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Goomer said:
A good helper/tech that doesn't mind working on their knees and charge accordingly.
Score it, heat it and have your helper attack it and get the bulk of it off with a good solvent and repeat.
No easy way...always seems to be a m'fer no mater what is tried. Older the worse.
Better to have hired help on their knees with their face in the carpet than you.

Maybe check out the "Gun and Cuff" method.

Here in lies the problem.......a good helper that can put some "muscle" into treating and spotting the gum after it is heated up by the wand. My wife, whom is also my assisitant/helper, can't really kneel down because of bad knees, and when she does, I have to stop and help her up. So I just throw her on the wand, and I get down and peel up the gum.

The BEST gum remover was 1,1,1 triclorethane (? spelling?), which just isn't available any more....besides being extremely toxic.

I swear.....gum is a lot more sticky-er than it was 20 years ago.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I use all solve spray. Runnig some chemical like dry slurry or whatever thru the rinse makes a big difference too. It adds some slickness and will not stick to the the wand. Also try a wand with no glide. I will have to try Chavez idea.

Magic One

Dwell time, use your cti Shark. My muscles are avlailable. Go to Meats store( Harbor Freight) and get commerical goop. Better than Pro Serv.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
steam genie makes a prod called O MAGIC, and i have been using it on gum since 94.put it on the gum agitate wait and the gum will dissolve.NO SHIT,my bro pointed it out a while back."cuz he's always on his knees doin em.......... find o magic at www.modernistic.com
call tom in the store

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom