~H202~

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Ok thanks, i don't know the actual percentage of it but it did look like it removed the color, if it was not just the residue(which i doubt it is).

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John;

It would be foolish to buy it @ >50% concentration.

Heat and slight contamination can cause immediate problems. Have you ever seen a drum rupture from overpressure ??

It is also in a higher hazard class (UN2014).

The safety agencies would demand to see your HAZCOM training program, if you had a spill.

Not worth the combined RISK.

Larry

Name
Shawn Forsythe
Larry Cobb said:
Sodium Percarbonate - if full strength, is equivalent to 27.5% Hydrogen Peroxide (90 Volume).

Larry,

It's a tad bit misleading to indicate an equivalent "volume" figure, as you would have no way to use the potential 27.5% in a powder form, "at full strength", so to speak. whereas with liquid hydrogen peroxide, the volume figure is presuming liberation at a particular strength, not the volume of pure 100% hydrogen peroxide. Similarly, the "volume" equivalent of percarbonate should be expressed at potential use concentrations, not the dry powder form in which it is stored. Moreover, when we say that Percarbonate is 27.5%, it is the available oxygen, NOT the percentage of Hydrogen Peroxide by weight. Albeit the error is low by some arguments, as the available oxygen of 100% H2O2 is somewhere around 94%. (edited)

Solvay's Percarbonate FB 400 powder is indeed 27.5% available oxygen, by weight. However,practically speaking you would need to dissolve it in some sort of aqueous solution first, just as liquid hydrogen peroxide is dissolved in water. FB400 is solubility in water is 120 grams/liter, and it's density is pretty darn close to 1 gram/ml. Presuming you are not actually going to use the product in a concentration that exceeds its solubility in water, at saturation, a liter of Percarbonate & water is going to somewhere nearer 3% available oxygen.

Chads

Supportive Member
where do i get the powder form I have never seen this stuff. and what is the usual use to add to a pre spray or to mix in a bottle for a spotting treatment, do you mix it just the same as with the liquid and add amonnia as acellerant .

G

Larry,

If I mix 4 oz. of sodium percarbonate which I plan to buy from you, what volume will it be in a 2 gallon sprayer? Or anyone else that can answer this question.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Matthew;

4 oz (by weight) X 27% peroxide = 1.08% Peroxide = 3.3 volume

4 oz (by weight) is slightly over 4 oz by volume.

Larry

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I always find myself debating the practical use of these products. Yes, It’s nice to be able to remove that problem stain when the customer points it out, but most or the time I resist the temptation to use oxy products. I just have an image in my mind of a customer getting a mild chemical burn and freaking out.

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
Larry Cobb said:
John;

It would be foolish to buy it @ >50% concentration.

Heat and slight contamination can cause immediate problems. Have you ever seen a drum rupture from overpressure ??

It is also in a higher hazard class (UN2014).

The safety agencies would demand to see your HAZCOM training program, if you had a spill.

Not worth the combined RISK.

Larry

Meha008.jpg

John

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
John;

It is still dangerous....

Quote from a manufacturer:

"Small amounts of other materials that contain catalysts (silver, lead, copper, chromium, mercury, and iron oxide rust) can cause rapid decomposition and an explosive pressure rupture of the containing vessel if it is not properly vented."

Larry

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
John,
You live in a wonderful land with few guardrails, because if you're stupid enough to drive off the edge you deserved to crash. In the US, anyone connected with a misused product gets sued, and everybody pays.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom