Hands Free Devices and the US DOT

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Ban on Hand-Held Cell Phone Use by Drivers of Buses and Large Trucks
Approximately 4,000 Drivers Affected Nationwide

U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood recently announced a final rule that prohibits commercial truck and bus drivers from using hand-held cell phones while driving. The rule, which was issued by the Department of Transportation, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration last Wednesday, is is the latest action by the U.S. Department of Transportation to end distracted driving.

Drivers who violate the restriction will face federal civil penalties of up to $2,750 for each offense. Multiple offenses will result in disqualification from operating a commercial motor vehicle. In addition, states will suspend the driver’s commercial driver’s license (CDL) after two or more serious traffic violations, and commercial truck and bus companies that allow their commercial drivers to use hand-held cell phones while driving will face a maximum penalty of $11,000. This rule will affect approximately 4,000 drivers.
If you have US DOT vehicles, (we have 9) then your state may have adopted the rule. After checking with our state we were told that if you have a dot number you are consider a commercial truck company and had better plan to follow the rules.

While Kansas has not adopted the rule as of yet but they said it will by July 2012.

So what are you using as a hands free device? thathurts

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
plantronics voyager pro
have had a half a dozen or over the years they are great and customer service is 2nd to none
they last a year or so then battery gets weak

Billy

Name
BH
We have been using Hands Free since it was corded. Now we use Bluetooth with current one being Plantronics also.

I also have had very good service from Plantronics as fer as warranty goes.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I use the Plantronics also, and it has been the best I've used so far. I have used the Jawbone and two others but I didn't like them.. I also like the charger that you can use without having to plug it into the wall every time.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
add another reason that I am glad I don't have to screw around with DOT...........

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Richard C. said:
You lucky Jim! They treat us like we are truckers when all we have is box trucks. thathurts

It is my understanding that AZ is the only state that does not have to worry about DOT laws....

as long as I am not carrying goods from point A to point B for delivery then I am not required...even though my GVW is 14,500....

the only stipulation is I am not allowed to cross the state line to clean..( like that will ever happen anyway)....

Life is good in the desert......

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We used to be that way here in Kansas but then they figured out they could gain extra taxes dollars by lumping us in where we really don't belong.

In fact other than the taxing agency, most of them can't believe we are even involved.

Billy

Name
BH
Government doesn't care anything about safety which makes the DOT, FMCSA etc a Farce all they care about is more $$$$s for their agendas.

Richard have you read the actual Final Rule & FAQs on this it is really restrictive in its wording?

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regu...-programs/rule_making_details.aspx?ruleid=347

It seems that only one button pushed will be aloud which can be done in some cases but not all with most phones.

Also says no dialing, reaching, push-to-talk etc etc

Im thinking use of my GPS which technically isn't a handheld phone might work. Although I rarely need to dial while driving myself anyway since I use the handsfree & find it harder to hear in the truck.

They also gave exemptions to State, Political suddivision Tow Trucks on emergency calls.

TimM

Supportive Member
Name
Tim Magaw
Just came across this on another forum. Caught my interest because I do have a CDL and still drive a Tractor Trailer part time. Looks like the DOT is cracking down already on this in Arizona. the Driver got a $2700 ticket. [imgurl=:206db861]
ticket0.png
[/imgurl:206db861]

Name
I'm Rick James
Its against the law here to talk on the phone or text in a personal car. Its a very good law.

When I am behind someone who is driving bad I always figure its someone on their handheld device or they are asian.

Im always right too. Old people just drive slow.

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Seems like it would include a lot more than 4000 drivers. Is that the whole nation or just the states that have adopted it?

randy

Name
Randy
In DC the bums have started ticketing people who are allowing their vehicle to idle. Lets say you are in a parking lot waiting for someone and have the car running to stay warm, $105 ticket. Government is out of control at all levels.

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Dang Richard. you've done it to me again.

You lure me in with this:

Hands Free Devices and the US DOT

Then you hit me with this::::

U.S. Department of Transportation Announces Ban on Hand-Held Cell Phone

I'm confused. :roll: :lol:

If you can't use a hand held cell phone, then what about the millions that use cb radio??

Only difference is, the cb has a loud speaker, but you can also have your cell phone hooked up with speaker phone and speakers (hands free).

Down under, texting whilst driving costs you a AU$300.00 fine and loss of three points out of ten from your licence.

A.T.P.I.T.

I'm lucky, I hardly know how to use this i4 smart phone, let alone text while driving.

shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin shiteatinggrin

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Caleb are you aware your video on you website directs you to a Rob Allen video on how to clean stairs and another about upgrading your unit to a "Junk Yard Dog". :shock:

I wouldn't think either are anything your customers are going to want to see. ???

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Some legislator in our state wants to ban ALL cell phone use in our state.

This would include hands-free operation.

Good thing elections are coming up in a few months.

Larry

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom