Hard to get good advice...

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
So, I did a little test while changing oil on my two truckmounts.

I have a Legend GT (23/45) with around 800 hours in one truck.

Almost new Boxxer 318 (18/36) in the other truck.

We do virtually all residential and almost never over 150 feet of hose. So, I cleaned half of my living room with one and half with the other. Used the same 150 ft hose and a Mytee Bentley at 7.5 flow. The paper towel test was about the same, and as I type this, both sides dried in about the same time. Took same time to clean both sides.

My totally non-scientific finding is that any TM over a 33 blower will produce similar results at 150 feet or less. The Legend did produce perhaps a bit more heat but nothing crazy.

It would be good if people stop telling newbies asking for opinions that they might as well stick with a portable if they can't at least go with a 45 blower.

Reactions: Living The Dream

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
People “find” the results that support their convictions
I own both. I wish the Legend was better so I could justify the spending of more money for it a couple years ago.

Kacy from Reliabilt tried to tell me there is no a huge difference between 36 and 45 blowers. 33 - 36 is a huge difference.

The redneck way of comparing blower CFM is multiplying the numbers:

33 = 9
36 = 18
45 = 20
47 = 28
etc.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Big truckmounts and expensive tools are a reward for the success of years making it by with crap. They are better, but they are not a substitute for technique. Don’t be a xxxxx about what you may think is bad advice. It’s just friendly elbowing between men.

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Anything is better than a portable. They are production killers. Too much time setting up, breaking down, dumping and refilling.

Being paid by the sq/ft or room locks you into a rate, you only control the process time. The more efficient you can be the more you keep.

Portables are not nearly as efficient, effective or productive as even the smallest TM.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
You’re not stupid, so you have to understand what I’m saying, which is don’t speak from your asshole when uneducated people ask for advice from “experts”.

That’s how people go bankrupt from buying Butlers to clean ranch houses in the valley.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I agree. With some old fashioned hustle you can cover your monthly equipment payment in a day or two.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
What I’m saying is it’s not necessary to have a monster machine to get started.

A Butler isn’t going to get you jobs, so buy an entry level machine if you’re doing residential and spend the rest on marketing.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I truly believe those that fail do so because they didn't put in the effort. They thought it was going to be easy and at some point became disenchanted with the dream.

Reality sets in that this is going to take more work than they planned. They either are not capable of it or they just don't want to work it.

Reactions: Meter Maid

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
I’m only saying be careful when a newbie come to you for equipment advice. You might not be doing them justice when you tell them a 36 machine is not much better than a portable. That person will believe you and might spend money they don’t have.

That statement has been repeated numerous times by a very prominent member of this board. His name rhymes with “Mikey”.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I think a problem is that people factor in failure. Have a solid plan and follow it. Not a guaranteed marketing plan that you pay big bucks for, but a well thought out plan specific to your area. Ignore the competition. It’s about you.

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
I’m only saying be careful when a newbie come to you for equipment advice. You might not be doing them justice when you tell them a 36 machine is not much better than a portable. That person will believe you and might spend money they don’t have.

That statement has been repeated numerous times by a very prominent member of this board. His name rhymes with “Mikey”.
People are going to find the justification to buy what they want to buy no matter what people tell them

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
What I’m saying is it’s not necessary to have a monster machine to get started.

A Butler isn’t going to get you jobs, so buy an entry level machine if you’re doing residential and spend the rest on marketing.
It is also not necessary to have a monster machine to finish, unless the work you do requires some very long hose reaches.

I started with a #45 blower, and I will finish with a #45 blower because it does everything I need it to do on every job, including dual wands to be more efficient.

Did a BIG church this past week, with 200' going out to one wand, and 160' going out to the other. Vacuum was screaming at each wand, as well as scorching heat.

BTW, I am also in Dayton, Ohio.

Reactions: Meter Maid

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
I started out using a portable and it is a time waster.
Bucket brigade etc. Any TM will be better than that.
Get a standard 45 blower and it will cover most of the situations you will encounter. Being a one man op you have to be efficent, time is money

Deke Hatley

Name
Deke Hatley
The Rage, like my Boxxer, is an excellent residential machine and all that’s usually needed.

Leaves tons of money left for making sure you don’t fail.
Although I am definitely not a newbie. Quite the opposite. I am working a few more years heading towards retirement. So I recently was in the market for what I hope will be my last machine. I did a ton of research before making my final decision. I also do primarily residential. The Rage was actually a finalist as well as the SS 370. Instead I decided on the Dynachem DC 534. Oh I know it’s one of those uncivilized “garage builds” but, when comparing what you are actually getting for your $ it was a no brainer for me. More hose, both a recovery and fresh water tank, installation, more power, heat, tax, all out the door for $16,000. It may not be a head turner look wise. But I’ve ran this thing pretty hard for the last 10 days or so and it’s been a beast so far. Just my personal opinion make your own decision. We all have different views. I was hesitant at first due to some negative views on here towards this machine. But I really researched the actual components and how it was designed and I am very happy with my purchase and that I didn’t have to break the bank. Happy Fathers Day to all!

63381CD9-027D-4075-A078-143452DAEB71.jpeg

Reactions: Cleanworks

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Although I am definitely not a newbie. Quite the opposite. I am working a few more years heading towards retirement. So I recently was in the market for what I hope will be my last machine. I did a ton of research before making my final decision. I also do primarily residential. The Rage was actually a finalist as well as the SS 370. Instead I decided on the Dynachem DC 534. Oh I know it’s one of those uncivilized “garage builds” but, when comparing what you are actually getting for your $ it was a no brainer for me. More hose, both a recovery and fresh water tank, installation, more power, heat, tax, all out the door for $16,000. It may not be a head turner look wise. But I’ve ran this thing pretty hard for the last 10 days or so and it’s been a beast so far. Just my personal opinion make your own decision. We all have different views. I was hesitant at first due to some negative views on here towards this machine. But I really researched the actual components and how it was designed and I am very happy with my purchase and that I didn’t have to break the bank. Happy Fathers Day to all!

View attachment 91640
Your opinion doesn't count. 😉 All machines should be great after only 10 days! lol

Seriously even a garage built Cobb is better than a portable...well...ok...yeah it is. 🙂

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
I ran a machine with a Roots 45 for 14 years. I now run a machine with a 36 blower that gets better dry times. The machine design has a lot to do with with it. Manufacturers are doing a good job these days using bigger plumbing to the blower. My 36 blower also has no heat exchanger to slow down the air flow. It’s a propane heat unit by TCS. It will do all I need it to on residential and commercial with great dry times.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You need to buy the right machine for the work you are planning to do. Under 150 ft any machine with a 36 or larger blower will do. Larger machines produce more heat and give you the capability of longer hose runs or dual Wanding. Stop comparing portables to truck mounts. Portables should only be used where truck mounts can't go.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Yeah but your van is hot, you have fuel fumes on everything and you can’t lock your doors while cleaning
Idiot
Vans will be hot inside, but turning on the A/C when you leave the job takes care of that in hot weather. There are no fuel fumes with propane, only with kerosene burners. Why would you need to lock your doors?
Idiot!

DAT

Name
Bill Cheryl
Who was that CC that never bought anything new, only bought used every few year and built a multi truck company? He couldn't care less what size blower it was as long it was decent and got the job done..

Reactions: Deke Hatley

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Who was that CC that never bought anything new, only bought used every few year and built a multi truck company? He couldn't care less what size blower it was as long it was decent and got the job done..
He went out of business. Equipment kept breaking down. 😉

Reactions: DAT

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If you're going to buy used, know how to wrench on it yourself. I have always had used, except for my custom built unit in my dodge. I am putting together a little unit in my Hyundai box truck finally. It's an old Steamway unit with an 18 hp Kohler, a cat 3cp pump, a sutorbilt 3lp (36) blower and a lg Ht3 Propane heater. My mechanic has gone through the unit, compression is good, done a tune up and now it's up to me to install it. The blower is rated at 350 cfm at 3600 rpm. I will be running it somewhere around 3000-3200 rpm. Should be good for 200 ft of hose. Even at 300 ft, it will still be better than a portable. The propane heat isn't dependent on the engine or blower and is consistent. If any component fails, it is easily replaceable. I'll post some pics later.

IMG_20190616_145450.jpg IMG_20190616_145518.jpg IMG_20190616_145544.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom