Hardwood Floor Screening vs. wet no sanding cleaning & prep

Moser Bros.

I'm getting into cleaning and re-coating hardwood floors.

I tried out the Wood-Solv refinishing system in my spare bedroom and there are just too many steps. vacuuming, cleaning, prepping, moping, drying, and then 2 coats of polyurethane, with an hour of drying time between coats.

And the polyurethane required adding a catalyst which gives the product a week shelf life once you add it, so I mixed up a quart for my 110 sqft room. My floors need to be resanding so I need to try it out on a floor in better shape with scratches only in the finish and not in the wood to get best results.

I would like to try screening to see if I get better results, but I'm afraid of spreading dust throughout the room and having to wipe the walls, and having a mess, but I can skip the, mopping, drying and cleaning portion.

has anyone had better results from the screening method, does it get scratches out better and is it messy?

Also who makes the best finish? I used a satin finish, but I'm only half pleased with the results.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Re: Hardwood Floor Screening vs. wet no sanding cleaning &

Screening is just more aggressive and will take out more scratches.

9 out of 10 Helens agree that the best hardwood finish is polyurethane. I like parks brand.
I use the oil based after screening and the water based after just a machine scrub.

I did see they rent a 175 with dust control at lowes.
That would sure help to keep the dust down with a screen and recoat.

Moser Bros.

ACE said:
Screening is just more aggressive and will take out more scratches.

9 out of 10 Helens agree that the best hardwood finish is polyurethane. I like parks brand.
I use the oil based after screening and the water based after just a machine scrub.

I did see they rent a 175 with dust control at lowes.
That would sure help to keep the dust down with a screen and recoat.

Thanks, I wonder how the 175 collects dusts from a spinning screen. By machine scrub did you mean wet method with a 175?

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes

Moser Bros. said:
Thanks, I wonder how the 175 collects dusts from a spinning screen. By machine scrub did you mean wet method with a 175?

175 machines sometimes have a port on the deck to connect to a vacuum.

Yes the “no sand” or “dustless” method is just a machine scrub and recoat. I have been using the water based polyurethane sold at home depot (pro brand by parks) after the scrub. You can apply 2-3 coats without abrading between coats.

alazo1

Name
Albert Lazo

I have been using the water based polyurethane sold at home depot (pro brand by parks) after the scrub. You can apply 2-3 coats without abrading between coats.

Mike, have you used other water based ones that you can compare the parks with?. I'm wondering how it holds up compared to others like Bona and Basic's Streetshoe.

Albert

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom