Has the zipper wand been knocked off the throne?

Trip Moses

IMOL
Name
Trip Moses
Zipper. Residential.
E70F2C01-74B3-41FF-A807-5B047F438ABD.jpeg

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I don't feel like looking. Is there a non-swivel devastator or can it be locked?
Mine Locks
Devastor by far, but Mikey hates Tom so he’ll now ( used to promote it) say his choice is best. Just realize it’s because Tom makes his own g l i des.

I bought my father-in-law equipment to process the rice we get from the field.
These machines take the Whole Kernal and harvest material into five different sellable items, with white rice being the main ingredient.

He stopped using it because this service is his neighbor's business and livelihood.
My father-in-law chooses peace and harmony with his neighbor instead of profit. :hopeless::eekk:🤔🥰🤷‍♀️
This neighbor processes our personal use rice and in exchange, he keeps the 4 other items.

The Capitalist in me has difficulty with this. But The Buddhist side understands the importance of Peace and Harmony.

icleancarpetz

Name
Rafael Samson
Make you? Hominy is delicious. Big grits....butter and pepper mmm
I slam jelly into t grits….yum!

I have a friend that mixes ketchup and grits yuk! We use to have it out every time we went out for breakfast. He got on me for jelly and I would get on his case for using ketchup with grits.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I’m not saying you guys are wrong but my experience is the rotary isn’t ideal for commercial

I used it for about 10 years we do a lot of commercial

The zipper needs a big blower truckmount (my opinion) Everest or bigger especially for long hose runs

The zipper will out clean and be more efficient every time

I don’t like to use it in the home
You don't need a large blower to use a Zipper, because we run an over-driven Roots 45 vacuum blower to 2 wands out 180' if necessary for the Zipper, and 150' to a 2" wand for the second wand.

Jim Williams

Name
Jim Williams
When I nearly lived on the road showing truck mounts in the 80s and 90s, I learned to stop eating at most restaurants.

First, walking into a restaurant after closing when there wasn't any fresh cooking odors revealed the stench that is otherwise covered up.

Second, I looked at the carpet more than most diners, and that in itself is usually gross.

Finally, back in those days I didn't carry fresh water on my unit, and hooking up water in the kitchen was a lesson in nausea control.

Of course my prospective customers always gave me the worst jobs they had for the demonstrations.
I was just thinking, if the above pics were scratch and sniff, I know exactly what that would smell like.
After working 7 years as a Pepsi service tech, I too find it hard to eat in restaurants. There's some nasty stuff that goes on behind the scenes.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
You don't need a large blower to use a Zipper, because we run an over-driven Roots 45 vacuum blower to 2 wands out 180' if necessary for the Zipper, and 150' to a 2" wand for the second wand.

Would like to see how you rig that. Vacuum valves on wand ends to close when they're not on the floor? What blower rpm?

How do you keep the solution pressure consistent between the two wands?

Reactions: Rob Grady

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
everyone is different I guess we have used multiple zippers and honestly I don't think it works well with even our 47 direct drives
I think it's an amazing tool with a big blower setup I don't think I would be happy with a 45 blower unless 100ft or less with it I would rather just wand at that point

an over driven blower means spinning it faster at higher hg?

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
everyone is different I guess we have used multiple zippers and honestly I don't think it works well with even our 47 direct drives
I think it's an amazing tool with a big blower setup I don't think I would be happy with a 45 blower unless 100ft or less with it I would rather just wand at that point

an over driven blower means spinning it faster at higher hg?
also we run the ss spinner a lot so that is even more vacuum hungry

Name
Steve Lawrence
I have had the Zipper 15" for 6 oor 7 years. Awesomely built, cleans very well, dries VERY well. I have told my guys: "We have tried most tools, the wand was the fastest, the RX-20 got carpets the cleanest, and the Zipper cleaned well and left carpets the driest." Silly me, I was trying to point them to the RX-20 or the Zipper but they still choose the wand 85%-95% of the time (lighter and easier). They've got new wands, new Dev Pros with windows, so all ain't lost.

Sigh.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
I love my Zipper SS but it just sits. I find myself VLM'ing most CGD like a good little hack. As for residential, I don't know how guys use it in homes. It's just too cumbersome. Probably the smaller ones are better suited for residential. But that's just my opinion, do what works best for you.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
I love my Zipper SS but it just sits. I find myself VLM'ing most CGD like a good little hack. As for residential, I don't know how guys use it in homes. It's just too cumbersome. Probably the smaller ones are better suited for residential. But that's just my opinion, do what works best for you.
I think the Zipper SS is great for restaurants and heavily soiled commercial carpet. I am vlm ing most commercial carpet as well.

Mr Brightside

Name
Jay Wags
I feel like I am falling behind I couldn't imagine vlm working as good as a zipper in any situation but that's all I hear. I will tell you that I am buying a vlm machine this year and gonna jump in a van or go to training with someone

Reactions: Steve Lawrence
Name
Steve Lawrence
Hey Raser: We do about 80% residential. Actually, we work for whoever wants us. Kinda like most. (BTW, I have admired your commercial cleaning biz and have wondered how you do it. I am retired now so I won't ask, hah! I take it that you don't like being under the watchful eye of Mrs. Piff.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Kenny Hayes
Name
Steve Lawrence
I feel like I am falling behind I couldn't imagine vlm working as good as a zipper in any situation but that's all I hear. I will tell you that I am buying a vlm machine this year and gonna jump in a van or go to training with someone
Hey Jay, most VLM systems are fast and profitable however you may need good old hot water extraction for entries, lunchrooms or more soiled areas. Good luck!
Steve

Dwain Ray

On Vacation
Name
Dwain Ray
I think after reading all these comments going back and forth, im going to stick with my tried and true method of rotary for clean antique drag wand for rinse and dry , if it ain't broke don't fix it
for 43 of the 45 years ive been in business it's worked just fine for me, plus when i get a new customer on the phone whos shoppin around . Just as their about to hang up i say " if your shopping around the difference between me and other companies is they either clean or rinse your carpet, i do both and with that i usually got um

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Hey Raser: We do about 80% residential. Actually, we work for whoever wants us. Kinda like most. (BTW, I have admired your commercial cleaning biz and have wondered how you do it. I am retired now so I won't ask, hah! I take it that you don't like being under the watchful eye of Mrs. Piff.)
Sounds like you and I do it the same way. Let someone else do it now. Why not. Being a delivery boy is a great old man gig.

Reactions: Steve Lawrence

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom