Hearing loss....

Mikey P

Administrator
After spending the holiday weekend with my aging parents who are loosing their hearing I vowed to wear my ear muffs more while working near my running truck...

The eh's?, who? what's!!!!" and huh's were driving me nuts...

Besides the V/AT's who else makes TMs that are TOO DAMN LOUD!!!!!?????

R

R W

Now that I replaced the Gennys vac relief with one from Steamway, the vac relief is a lot louder. Don't spend much time near the truck under full power.

G

Wait until you go with 2.5 hose. You will need those ear muffs when you are inside the house.

Dave

JohnnyV

My wife wears a hearing aid in one ear.I' pretty sure I could use one too. Yes my EZ is loud! I keep a set of cans hanging on the door. I'm not sure if its the engine,blower or both. I just know it does a real fine job of being noisy,hot and it helps me do a good job.

F

FB7777

You just mentioned another feature I love about Butler units.

I lost considerable hearing in my youth playing in bands, so the constant sound of blower exhaust was something I listened for when looking at units.

Mind you, no manufacturer/distributor discussed decibel levels with me and less than 1% probably ask anyways.

I would never want to operate slide-ins, even my old Spitfire 3.2 seemed awfully loud to me. Larger engine units must scream even more.

For owner operators, which is a great majority of this industry, I think it would be nice for all manufacturers to consider noise reduction in part of their building platform

Jack May

That Kiwi
Name
John
I used to have a liquid ring van powered CC machine and hardly needed ear protection and could talk to someone right beside the running machine, it was that quiet.

When I got my new Genesis, I went to having a set of ear plugs on a cord around my neck and they are just part of my clothing now. Doesn't matter what I'm doing, I just pop them in and out as needed.

My Legend XL is WAY louder than my Genesis with only half the performane for twice the noise and vibration.

My tech prefers actual ear muffs but I get headaches from them and way prefer the plugs. so quick and easy to pull out and tuck inside my shirt when the phone rings or when I client asks me a question.

Soemtimes a spotting machine can be worse for your ears than a TM running outside.

John

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
My hearing blows as you well know Mikey. That's why I take Kirk everywhere I go. Cheaper than hearing aids and I just have to turn and ask 'what'd they say?'.

I wear hearing protection every day now. I have it around my neck and put it on when I go to the TM.

Those that don't will have problems in the future IMO.

The Wizard

IMG_4625.jpg

Rex Tyus

The cleanco quad 56 is too damn loud as well. I have started wearing earplugs while cleaning as well as near the machine. The constant high pitched scream from the wand head has left me tone deaf to too many frequencies.

Rex

-JB-

Name
JB
How about tinnitus ? Anyone else ?

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
in your ears, all the f'in time!
NO quiet ever.

Seriously, ware ear protection you cannot correct or replace your hearing, tinnitus sucks !
It makes having conversations quite difficult at times, also makes it hard to tolerate rooms with a lot of chatter or lots of people talking.

Jay D

Name
Jay D
What did he say? My Ez is louder now. Nick adjusted the throttle from 3200rpms to 3500rpms for me. It really increased the vacuum and heat big time. But it is definately louder even with a stroddard silencer. I need to start wearing ear plugs. Hard of hearing already, I don't need to get more deaf.

Mister Sir Hack-a-Lot BDCCFellowship

Studebaker

Name
Studebaker
tinnitus
- persistent noise in ear: a continual noise in the ear, e.g. a ringing or roaring, usually caused by damage to the hair cells of the inner ear

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ian it seems your tachometer and temperature gauge have gone south. Other gauges indicate the machine isn't running, but temp is near pegged.

Is it a Prochem temperature gauge?

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
The temp gauge on my LOUD Powermatic is near pegged til i turn the key on. Then it goes to where it's supposed to.

ear plugs on a string like John.
I use them when ever I'm at the TM or using the hand tool we use to detail steps

Fred, I have always been impressed with Bulters quite operation.
However, I was SHOCKED the first time I heard a 47 blowered B running at vEganfest.
From the driver's side (silencer side) it ROARED just as loud or louder than my PM.
This was a brand spanking new Butler.
Didn't have 20 hours on it

..L.T.A.

Jim Morrison

Name
jim
Got hearing aids (BTE) a year and a half ago. Lots of damaging exposure at previous career (backhoes, plowcats and whatnot) I'm sure all those ACDC,Rush,etc concerts didn't help.

Ya tinnitus sucks, if it isn't too bad you learn to ignore it.

I figure there is going to be a big explosion in hearing aid sales in about 20 years. It will happen when all the guys with "Boom Cars" realize they have no high end hearing left. :) been there done that.

I use a porty and always have muffs on (Peltors like in wizzies pic only light grey low profile with neck band)

All I can say is be nice to your ears and use protection!

Jim

Billy

Name
BH
I have been wearing ear protection for the whole time I have been in business & also whenever I use loud tools around the house. Now that I have two Air Paths I will need to wear ear protection in the house also LOL.

Blue Monarch

Supportive Member
Name
Dirk Wingrove
Yes, tinnitus blows. Had it for about 20 years now. Loud as hell and never ever goes away. Drives some people bonkers.

Getting married helps. Ringing sounds much better than nagging.

-JB-

Name
JB
I now wear ear protection, but as Joan Jett say's-

"It's a little too little... a little too late."

But I suppose I keep it from getting worse.

I took a yoga class the other night, and at the end the instructor rang some little cymbals that sound just like the ringing in my ears...

SUPER, THANKS FOR ASKING!

Anyhow it was all I could do to keep myself from sitting up to ask if anyone else heard that ringing. I restrained myself, my to my wife's pleasure.

G

Exactly Mikey..

Exactly what? Exactly why Butlers will always rule the day.

I havent heard a V or an AT... but that factor in itself.. would keep me from buying one.. 'in a heartbeat'.

The Butler , as many know.. is comparable to a leaf blower with a pillow under it.

I dont think that using an AT.. or a V.. is any different than spraying Butyls and hazmat type presprays.. from the ceiling.. and cleaning in that environment.
Dangerous is dangerous.. I'd lose my sight before I lost my hearing.
But thats me.

I've pretty much taken V, AT.. powermatic.. or any slidein for that matter off the table.. for this very reason.

And its not me.. its the most disrespectful thing we do as cleaners.. is to disrespect the hood.. neighbors.. etc.

and why? if you know how to clean.. you dont need all that vac.. (tweak the smaller blowers)...

Many think its great advertising..
I for one.. take the other side of the argument.. and say you'll lose more custies than a loud machine will gain ya.

Esp at night commercially.

I was at the INdy airport this week.. cleaners there.. @ night.. and every single person that went by.. frowned and had a rude stare on their face.
I think its the same in the hoods when cleaning.

But you know me.. i'm getting to take the other side of most issues.

G

Dobs,

It's too bad you feel that way. I had a Butler guy ride along and he thought the trucks were comparable in noise levels. I would never go back to an underpowered truck because I hear the comments about my machine (way more than when I had Butlers). I know this machine helps me way more than it may hurt me for business.

Ride with me for 1 day Dobs and you will see it differently. I'm only a few hours away from you.

Dave

P

peter

gekko too loud

well, I recently jumped into a brand new van...but went from the CD CTS-450 to the CTS-330...not very loud....but whenever I clean tile/grout with our White Magic 1200, that damn gekko is way too damn loud...it screams!! Hate it.

Mikey P

Administrator
Dobs not only turns off the heat on his Butler so he doesn't bother the Ants and Catypillars under his exhaust he also only runs the truck at 300 RPMs so the neighborhood Sparrows can hear each other tweet.

Real Cleaners are sensitive to all of god's creatures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom