Help me settle a discussion

Sonrise1

Name
Jerry
We run an Aerotech for our floor and fiber care division and it is lettered up for carpet cleaning. In our window cleaning division, we also do pressure washing and softwashing of homes and need to make a further investment to improve our capabilities there. My salesman just asked me why don't we use the carpet cleaning truck to do pressure washing and softwashing since it is high flow (6gpm) and low pressure and would save us the investment of a new rig. I told him that that would do damage to our image, (why is that carpet truck doing pressure washing?) cost more money to operate, etc. He thinks it would be ok. I know I am right. Thoughts? (Besides the fact he should be selling more commercial carpet cleaning to keep it more busy.

By the way, we run two shifts with that truck, residential during the day and commercial at night. During spring/summer/fall, it is kept busy. We did over $325k with it last year.

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
We run an Aerotech for our floor and fiber care division and it is lettered up for carpet cleaning. In our window cleaning division, we also do pressure washing and softwashing of homes and need to make a further investment to improve our capabilities there. My salesman just asked me why don't we use the carpet cleaning truck to do pressure washing and softwashing since it is high flow (6gpm) and low pressure and would save us the investment of a new rig. I told him that that would do damage to our image, (why is that carpet truck doing pressure washing?) cost more money to operate, etc. He thinks it would be ok. I know I am right. Thoughts? (Besides the fact he should be selling more commercial carpet cleaning to keep it more busy.

By the way, we run two shifts with that truck, residential during the day and commercial at night. During spring/summer/fall, it is kept busy. We did over $325k with it last year.

Thanks everyone!
I wouldn't worry about the image. Most people wouldn't even notice in my opinion. I would be more concerned about the operating cost. Also, when the Aerotech is cleaning windows, you are not cleaning floors. Not too expensive to put a good power washing set up on a trailer to specialize in your house and other washing business.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
A $12k pressure washing trailer is much better than the Aerotech that's made for floor cleaning. Your last part about it having full schedule should be the only answer needed. And you're right, the salesman needs to focus on landing more jobs, not adjust Your structure of business

Kenny Hayes

Name
Kenny Hayes
Matt’s a former trailer puller and I pull trailers, and he’s right about it if you have the vehicle for it. Image is not a concern. I use a portable power washer along with my truckmount for the heat.
I bet your image is set though, so in that regard, your salesman is correct. We do tend to overthink it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
if running two shifts on one truck, how do find time to pressure wash with it too?

nevertheless, I'm not sure I understand the "image" thing you question.
Is pressure washing "beneath" carpet cleaning in the public's eye?
Is that what it's about?

I'd be more concerned about fuel, expense, wear 'n tear, spinning a big blower for nothing and hours on a $100k unit to do the job of a $4-$6000 dollar Hotsy

that don't make cents to me :headscratch:

1645064872969.png

..L.T.A.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
That's a lot of abuse on the Aerotech just to do windows and pressure washing. Would rather get a trailer or one of those flatbed utility trucks and outfit it with onboard water and DI/RO if you do Water Fed Pole window cleaning. You can bypass the DI/RO system and switch to pressure/soft washing using onboard or the customer's water. A lot of the pressure/window cleaners have that setup. Might be able to do it from a standard pickup if you set it up right.

Willy P

Name
Willy P
See above. Tell your salesman to stick to sales because it's obvious he doesn't get it. Too much in wasted resources to run that beast to pressure wash.Kick him in the ass and tell him to get busy and fill the book.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
why not do the pressure washing n window softwashing while cleaning the carpets. ie. Dual/triple wanding.

steve_64

I keep a pressure washing wand on the van.
I clean porches and sidewalks quite a bit.
I use it to clean other tools also like the brush on the floor tool.
Cleaned two enclosed porches on a project job.20220627_152424.jpg

Reactions: Kenny Hayes
F

FB7777

Matt’s a former trailer puller and I pull trailers, and he’s right about it if you have the vehicle for it. Image is not a concern. I use a portable power washer along with my truckmount for the heat.
I bet your image is set though, so in that regard, your salesman is correct. We do tend to overthink it.
I’ve had over 50 different contractors at my 3 properties over the last year

iDGAS what they drive

Show up on time and at bare minimum, deliver what you promise

Reactions: Numero Uno

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Show up on time and at bare minimum, deliver what you promise

I hear numerous stories about people and companies who will call more than one carpet cleaner to do the same job, hoping at least one will actually show up.

Unfair as hell to the multiple cleaners that might show up, but I guess cleaners who don't show is a pretty common problem.

Reliability and a consistent level of mediocrity has kept a lot of companies in business for a long time.

Fast "Food" would be an example....

F

FB7777

I hear numerous stories about people and companies who will call more than one carpet cleaner to do the same job, hoping at least one will actually show up.

Unfair as hell to the multiple cleaners that might show up, but I guess cleaners who don't show is a pretty common problem.

Reliability and a consistent level of mediocrity has kept a lot of companies in business for a long time.

I really don’t blame people… with an abundance of work for contractors, people need to hedge

I have two stamped concrete patio guys scheduled for the coping and skirt around the pool

When the trenches are back filled, the guy who shows up first gets the gig

😂

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott

That's one of the things my customers comment on. I am usually 5 minutes early. If I am delayed for some reason, I always call

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I really don’t blame people… with an abundance of work for contractors, people need to hedge

I have two stamped concrete patio guys scheduled for the coping and skirt around the pool

When the trenches are back filled, the guy who shows up first gets the gig

😂
Sooooo Thurgood.......how big is that pool of yours......?

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Well try it out a few times with the truck? See if it helps promote sales. Put out a grass sign and say ask Tech about cleaning your carpets or a lawn sign . With a discounted this day only promotion. Give it a try ? Especially in nice area's . Make it seem like the salesman has a idea and give it a shot ? Make him happy meanwhile run a Worx power sprayer or something inexpensive to use if you choose. AS Boyle said most do not care as long as you show up on time and deliver what you said your gonna do. For driveways the drive thru cleaner from Kay chemical works great. Spray -agitate and plan pre major rainfalls watch every stain pop out . No need to rinse -God does that . But if the salesman is doing good by you-Do not alienate...Always encourage never discourage ! Good Luck and Regards...Hydrate...Watermelons juiced and regular chompin are great for Summer Dawg Days.

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
P.S love the Mister Howell approach .He was the best part of Gilligan's to me .After Mary Ann and Ginger...Iffn I was Gilligan I would have never wanted to leave that dam island ...I would go from sailor boy to plow boy so very fast...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom