Help me setup a Rug Shop

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Here is the schematics of my new building. I'm wanting a Centrumforce wash tub, centrifuge, Tumbler/Polisher, and maybe a Hanta Systems Rug washing machine. Is a wash pit still necessary with a tub? Obviously this will not happen overnight, but I would like to have a plan. The 6 squares in the middle are support beams because of the 12ft drive-thru roll up doors.

Outline of entire building including offices.
NewShop.png

Area of just the shop.
Newshop2.PNG

Mikey P

Administrator
woah Tiger just how many rug owners in that town of your are going to WANT to spend $5.00 a ft plus?

350 on that building, another 200 on Rug Fag equipment, 60k for a employee ('s) to do the work

IMHO you need to be in a very large metro area, LOADED with persian rugs to pull that off

Your competitor top washes for a reason...http://www.bauersrugs.net/pricing-for-cleaning.html

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
lets think about a few other challenges..

Are people unhappy with the existing rug guy? if so what is he doing poorly,

-Price? You'll have to be higher than him.
-Results? Don't think for a second that great result can't be attained with out all that fancy equipment and maybe you're only hearing shit talking done by customers with ruined shit rugs.
-Will you be able to Out Fag him in rug knowledge?
-His location is more conducive to Reddites for dropping off and picking up

Lets hear your thoughts on the above before we move on to the next ugly reality.

T Monahan

Supportive Member
Name
Tom Monahan
Naturally, I would be glad to assist you. Let me suggest that you first determine where the sanitary drain is located. I do not recommend a pit, but rather floor trench drains. Skip the curbs, they get in the way. Floor washing inside of perimeter trench drains can be done effectively with flooding, shampooing and power washing. The wash tub saves time and floor space for production labor saving prewashing of rugs. Call me anytime to discuss short term and long-term plans. Let your volume of rugs determine what equipment you buy at various phases of development along the years.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Naturally, I would be glad to assist you. Let me suggest that you first determine where the sanitary drain is located. I do not recommend a pit, but rather floor trench drains. Skip the curbs, they get in the way. Floor washing inside of perimeter trench drains can be done effectively with flooding, shampooing and power washing. The wash tub saves time and floor space for production labor saving prewashing of rugs. Call me anytime to discuss short term and long-term plans. Let your volume of rugs determine what equipment you buy at various phases of development along the years.
Cleanout is on the south side of the schematic near the red #13, near the man-door. I'm mulling over how to connect to it. I like the floor trench drains.

Mike, hillbillies aren't the only people that live in this town. I'm turning down rugs all the time. I only took on the 10 rugs last week because I was a bit slower and I needed to train my new guy. I'm not planning of firing up a rug washing facility overnight. It is something to build toward. There is a gap in our market here for it. Also, the guys that are doing it, aren't getting any younger. There is no one stepping up to take the torch. Why not me? If it was easy everyone would do it. I get it will be a climb, but i've been through tougher challenges.

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator

Lets pretend Damon finds a way to buy all your stuff because Damon is impatient and won't wait for his rug volume to get to a logical flow rate as you suggest, a neon sign and some ads in print and online, takes enough classes to talk the walk and has a beautiful check in area that really wows the customers, in a county population of 170k, an existing rug shop, a median house price of 183k...

How many hand tied wool rugs can he hope to process ten years from now?

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Before you nuke yourself, you better be sure that it's even viable. Mike touched on serious concerns.

Having the building and equipment will do you no good if you don't have enough business. Last thing you would want is for your new service to take down the existing business.
Like I said, there is a gap in the market. I'm turning down rugs all the time.

Mikey P

Administrator
SCruz has three rug shops and one that pretends to be but sends his rugs to a laundry washer in Fresno.

None use the equipment you are dreaming of. None are turing a decent profit .

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
SCruz has three rug shops and one that pretends to be but sends his rugs to a laundry washer in Fresno.

None use the equipment you are dreaming of. None are turing a decent profit .
Scruz to Fresno is quite the haul!

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
We clean a lot of rugs but none at the wash prices. Not enough people with money to make it viable in our market. KC plenty of people but also plenty of competition. Much of them very established.
I thought everything was big in Texas :) No rich ranchers with Persians?

Mikey P

Administrator
I think a key to a busy rug plant is to offer a few options of "clean"

One designed for cleaning rugs that the owner spent under $200 on

One for nice synthetics and tufteds

and the Uber RF Deluxe method

I would suspect your middle choice will be 80% of your work.

Build your wash floor like Tom suggested.
Save room for flat, top down drying and tacking,
a drying room,
a dusting area (can you use air to dust outside in that area? Are their neighbors who will complain?
get a strap whacker Wolverine thing too
a good squeegee and a super high flow hose schnozel

and start with that.

Last edited:

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
:oldrolleyes: gotta love your enthusiasm Damon. Good luck.
Like I said before, you guys would be bored without me around.

I'm getting older everyday. I can pass the time doing nothing and get nowhere, or pass the time trying to better my standing. Carpet cleaning is rocking and I got that down. I'm ready to add something else with legs.

Reactions: Condog and hogjowl

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
a dusting area (can you use air to dust outside in that area? Are their neighbors who will complain?
Not too sure, that may be a challenge. On the edge of large subdivision. Easy to find off the freeway though. two streets down from I5 exit and close to hwy 273.

I think a tumbler may be the best option.

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
I agree with all the advise Mikey has given you. Sometimes going too fast, ends in a crash. But again i wish you the best. Ill be "eating my popcorn" while watching this "damon show".

I am envious to how affordable that warehouse is that you're buying.

Reactions: Mikey P

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom