Help me spend money!

Chris A

Name
Chris
I am thinking about building a truck before the end if the year. I currently have two newer Sapphire pro 1200s and one old ass hm cds. I am transitioning more and more to techs cleaning but I will be running this truck, at least for the first year or so. My 1200s have been problematic to say the least, and as with most direct drive trucks, the vans are starting to show premature wear, but their still in great shape overall. Here's what I'm considering.

Option one- Butler system, the absolute Mack Daddy of direct drive trucks, amazingly engineered and built to perfection, fit and finish second to none, but $77000 is a lot of fookin money 😲

Option two- Transit mid roof with a Sapphire 570, I have zero experience with slide ins other than the boxer 421 I owned briefly, and a legend that my dad put 8000 hours on when I was a kid. I haven't gotten a quote yet but I imagine I'll be around 70k all in.

Whatever I chose I will want to switch our entire "fleet" to within the next few years. What say you guys?

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
If you're going to switch all of your trucks over eventually, having techs operating them, I would go with butler, Cleanco or Hydramaster, in that order. Much easier to train your techs on. All of them have extra heat and vac options. All are fairly reliable.

Reactions: Chris A

Chris A

Name
Chris
Curious what problems have you had with the 1200's?

Idler pulleys shearing of the front of the engine 4 times (Sapphire part)

5 ruptured heat exchangers

Water pond completely rusted out on both trucks within two years

Replaced spark plugs/wires on both vans by 30000 miles, Sapphire offered boots for the plugs after this

One machine won't engage after sitting for 2-3 days (it's my truck and I normally don't clean Friday and Saturday), Sapphire keeps trying to tell me the blower is locked up yet I can spin it with my finger, it's some type of electrical gremlin.

The 2015 has 58000 miles and 2900 hours, the '16 47000 miles and 1500 hours. To Sapphires credit most of this stuff has been warrantied but I have zero faith that I won't continue having these issues in the future. So I am a little leery of a "bran new" Sapphire slide in that's supposed to be the next great thing, bc these 1200s were supposed to be the next great direct drive.

Reactions: SamIam

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Idler pulleys shearing of the front of the engine 4 times (Sapphire part)

5 ruptured heat exchangers

Water pond completely rusted out on both trucks within two years

Replaced spark plugs/wires on both vans by 30000 miles, Sapphire offered boots for the plugs after this

One machine won't engage after sitting for 2-3 days (it's my truck and I normally don't clean Friday and Saturday), Sapphire keeps trying to tell me the blower is locked up yet I can spin it with my finger, it's some type of electrical gremlin.

The 2015 has 58000 miles and 2900 hours, the '16 47000 miles and 1500 hours. To Sapphires credit most of this stuff has been warrantied but I have zero faith that I won't continue having these issues in the future. So I am a little leery of a "bran new" Sapphire slide in that's supposed to be the next great thing, bc these 1200s were supposed to be the next great direct drive.
plugs and wires seems to be a common problem on Chevy's, no matter what unit is installed.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
If you will have employees and your main concern , as it should be, is dependability- Butler.

The extra $ will be more than paid for in appointments kept. And that is exactly why I switched from a pro-1200 to Butler. Sapphire does not get it yet. Constantly trying to make the "newer" "better" "more ultra violet lights around the grill" machine and not the most trouble free & dependable machine.

I had CDS, Apex, Pro-1200 and now a Mid Mount Max heat and blower Butler. Butler has been the most trouble free machine I've ever had. And awesome heat and suction to boot.

I bought the van through Aztec (fleet pricing) which was a much better price than buying from Butler.

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Gee wiz Chris.....remember that jus like new all stainless...new 47......and new pump Genie I sold...for 10 grand. .what 3 or 4 years ago.....

Should a bought it....not a break down yet!

Jus sayin

Reactions: Chris A

encapman

Name
Rick Gelinas
I'm not a truckmount guy. You guys already knew that, didn't you. But we talk to carpet cleaners all day long at Excellent Supply. And from what we've seen, a lot of Butler owners are super satisfied with the longevity and reliability of their Butlers. The Butler owners we talk to are generally well-organized guys who run successful businesses. Seems like Butlers are paying back handsomely on their investment.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
I am thinking about building a truck before the end if the year. I currently have two newer Sapphire pro 1200s and one old ass hm cds. I am transitioning more and more to techs cleaning but I will be running this truck, at least for the first year or so. My 1200s have been problematic to say the least, and as with most direct drive trucks, the vans are starting to show premature wear, but their still in great shape overall. Here's what I'm considering.

Option one- Butler system, the absolute Mack Daddy of direct drive trucks, amazingly engineered and built to perfection, fit and finish second to none, but $77000 is a lot of fookin money 😲

Option two- Transit mid roof with a Sapphire 570, I have zero experience with slide ins other than the boxer 421 I owned briefly, and a legend that my dad put 8000 hours on when I was a kid. I haven't gotten a quote yet but I imagine I'll be around 70k all in.

Whatever I chose I will want to switch our entire "fleet" to within the next few years. What say you guys?

Suck it up and go with Butler.

It's possible to get them a bit more reasonably if you shop hard for a good deal on the van and time it right. The Butler price is non-negotiable, of course, but I got around $1,000 in credit when you take off the wand, stair tool, etc.

SamIam

Name
sam miller

Quick question???

What problems have you had with you pro1200????

I had a bad bearing on a pulley at 126 hours no problem since.

And I’ve had fuel pump related issues one time replaced under warranty.

And it starting to act up again like every 20k Miles.

I’m in the desert and they get cooked.

Does butler do anything to make it so the fuel pump lasts?????

If not aren’t all direct drives subject to the vehicle they’re in?

Lastly Mark had one sitting for practically 6 months all van related.

So I’m wondering if it’s van or unit related?

SamIam

Name
sam miller
Lastly I love my direct drive and may be resigned to buy a fuel pump every few years.

Acp

Name
Bjorn Marshall
Transits are having a lot of tranny issues around 40k-60k miles.. they recalled 370,000 of them. Theres a guy on the fb group with a transit down at 40k miles, covered under warranty but the parts are so back ordered he cant even get it fixed because the tranny problems are so common.

the promasters are just fcking Durangos lol and I just cant stand the old chevy express body style anymore.

If I was shopping it would be Aero Tech no contest... I think u can lease for around 1200/month?

Chris A

Name
Chris
Quick question???

What problems have you had with you pro1200????

I had a bad bearing on a pulley at 126 hours no problem since.

And I’ve had fuel pump related issues one time replaced under warranty.

And it starting to act up again like every 20k Miles.

I’m in the desert and they get cooked.

Does butler do anything to make it so the fuel pump lasts?????

If not aren’t all direct drives subject to the vehicle they’re in?

Lastly Mark had one sitting for practically 6 months all van related.

So I’m wondering if it’s van or unit related?
See above post. I think Mark's ended up being a bad starter after everything was said and done

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Transits are having a lot of tranny issues around 40k-60k miles.. they recalled 370,000 of them. Theres a guy on the fb group with a transit down at 40k miles, covered under warranty but the parts are so back ordered he cant even get it fixed because the tranny problems are so common.

the promasters are just fcking Durangos lol and I just cant stand the old chevy express body style anymore.

If I was shopping it would be Aero Tech no contest... I think u can lease for around 1200/month?
That recall is from 2017 and I had my 2016 taken care of in 3 hours, the week after I bought it.

Meter Maid

The Undetective
Name
Chris
Anyway... I have an old-ass uncle who's a retired master-mechanic.

He doesn't know much about truckmounts, but he's tinkered around with my Legend a few times.

When I talked with him about a direct drive vs. slide-in, my uncle said: "why would you use the truck motor to run that thing?"

For what it's worth.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Anyway... I have an old-ass uncle who's a retired master-mechanic.

He doesn't know much about truckmounts, but he's tinkered around with my Legend a few times.

When I talked with him about a direct drive vs. slide-in, my uncle said: "why would you use the truck motor to run that thing?"

For what it's worth.
Because you already have a motor in the truck, you don't need a second one just to power the unit. Pto's are usually lighter than slide ins and normally take up less floor space. Easier to run and to train new techs how to operate. All the manufacturers now have max vac/heat options that compare in power to large slide ins. If money was no object, I would always go with a pto unit.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom