Help Set Up My Box Truck.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I recently picked a 15’ Ford box truck and a Steamway 2100. All they toys I play with don’t fit in a van anymore.

Do I need to do anything to protect the flooring if so, what are some cost effective options?

I need to decide where to place the machine before I can think about where everything else goes. The truck has a rear door only. I am guessing that Steamway weighs somewhere close to 800 lbs with no water. Is that too much weight to have setting at the very rear? If I center the machine over the axl what do I do about the exhaust? Any danger if it blows on the wood floor? I thought about trying to vent the exhaust but that raises other problems. I am sure that the heat from the exhaust could do some damage if I had to pull up on a lawn.

Insulating / heating: I may winterize the unit this winter but want to be able to use it if I have to. I have some ideas about insulating the walls but am not sure what to do about the roof which is fiberglass. Would it be a good idea to try to heat it with kerosene or just use electric space heaters?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
check out the posts about the CanAm that Bob put togther for me, also there are other threads with pics of the box truck layouts. Depends on what you want in there.

For flooring, we used G Floor, its a rubber/vinyl flooring for garages that I got at Costco, 7x22ft for $200.works really well, very durable. Just lay it out and seal the edges.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
I vote for the rhino lining. I had it sprayed in everything I have owned and never had any rust issues. I have them spray it up the sides about a foot. I also like that it's non-slip.
I draw my truck and equipment to scale and then laid it out.
Move it around until you get the best arrangement. Ron has a great idea, go back and look at some of the old threads.

Gene

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I guess my main question is about placement of the machine. If I put it at the rear my center of balance might be off, If install over the axle, I might have issues with the exhaust.

Able 1

Name
Keith
How much would it cost to have a side door installed? I think it would be a pita to have to get in the truck just to start it every job JMO... MeAt uses some kind of propane or gas heater you just would have to leave the door cracked for oxygen, I think that would be your best option.

Bob Foster

used - seventy five bucks at a rv repair store. Two hours for complete install in aluminum truck or one hour in a frp truck.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
The side door is a good idea. I had not really thought about doing this because I figured the cost to be much higher.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
When I designed my box the first consideration was air flow. I placed 2 4' door directly across from each other. They are pull up doors so that I don't have to worry about clearance. Their are arguments for both types of doors but I don't need the extra storage on a door and I prefer roll-ups.

The sketchup program works great for designing absolutly anything. I use it all the time.

tankchange.jpg

2009_07_20_1643.jpg

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I think I paid $1500.00 to have side doors put in at Brown Cargo, dual doors, but you contact Russ Briney he is a sales rep there.

They can install anything you would want, roll up, single, dual, you name it.

We just had them put a flip up door on a used box truck last month because we had the door. I don't recommend flip up's

His number is 842-6506 Ext #121

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Would it really be bad to mount the unit near the back door?
Here is an Everest mounted at the back.
972-1.jpg

Of course I would want the reels there also. I could add auto pump out to keep the weight down. The truck weighs 9600 empty if it goes over 12000 Lbs, I could get a ticket. If I can keep the waste tank empty I might stay just under half of the time.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
They can pull you over anywhere and weight you, but it's much more likely if you head west towards Manhattan.

If the box is unmarked you can sneak by, Servicemaster has an unmarked white truck for this. :x

We have to have them all marked and inspected by the KCC each year.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom