Help: Used Waste Tank

tmiklethun

Name
Travis Miklethun
I found a used waste tank for a boxxer 421. Overall it looks in good condition, but the unit it came off of had 7000 hours on it.

My waste tank got a hole in it after only 4600 hours. Currently I have a towel shoved in the hole and it doesn't impact my vacuum, but I would like a better tanks.

These things retail for over 2000 and they want 1000 for the used one and $350 to install it.

Is $1000 a ok deal for a tank with 7000 hours on it, or is it likely to fail soon also?

Thanks, Travis

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
doesn't the Boxer use an aluminum tank?

go to Ace hardware and buy a qt of fiberglass resin and a sq yrd or two of fiberglass mesh cloth

pull your tank, clean/prep it well and glass the whole bottom and a couple/three inches up the sides.
(apply it to the outside of tank)

cost you less than fiddy bukz and should last for years ...mine has anyway

..L.T.A.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Can't tell you if that's a deal, the last time I looked for a tank was for a new in-plant installation and I couldn't find a used one.

Tanks don't rot if they're rinsed every day (unless you're sucking up nuclear-grade presprays) so the 7,000 hour tank should be fine if it was taken care of by the previous owner.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
Fiberglass it for now. In the winter pull it and bring it to a welder. They find all the weak spots and fix them. My used tank I got about 15 holes in it. Got it fixed and its doing fine going on 3 years now.

Ken Clean

Name
Ken Schow
I found a used waste tank for a boxxer 421. Overall it looks in good condition, but the unit it came off of had 7000 hours on it.

My waste tank got a hole in it after only 4600 hours. Currently I have a towel shoved in the hole and it doesn't impact my vacuum, but I would like a better tanks.

These things retail for over 2000 and they want 1000 for the used one and $350 to install it.

Is $1000 a ok deal for a tank with 7000 hours on it, or is it likely to fail soon also?

Thanks, Travis

Travis, this will save you about $2000 Plus another $350. Your cost will be about about $30 for materials.
That being said, with out knowing how big the hole is in your tank and the material it is built out of, here is a suggestion - and if you've already thought of this out, ignore my babbling.... If you want to save a bundle of money, get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood or a 3/8 inch steel plate that is 4 or 5 inches larger than your whole, some JB Weld or even heavy duty Gorilla Glue (I am surprised how strong it is). Put a layer of JB Weld or Gorilla Glue on the steel around the hole (that will be covered by the new metal plate), and on the metal plate. When tacky, press together, then find something to hold it in place till dry.
And one more thing - do your best to keep your tank clean.

Ken Clean

Name
Ken Schow
Travis, this will save you about $2000 Plus another $350. Your cost will be about about $30 for materials.
That being said, without knowing how big the hole is in your tank and the material it is built out of, here is a suggestion - and if you've already thought of this out, ignore my babbling.... If you want to save a bundle of money, get a piece of 3/4 inch plywood or a 3/8 inch steel plate that is 4 or 5 inches larger than your whole, some JB Weld or even heavy duty Gorilla Glue (I am surprised how strong it is). Put a layer of JB Weld or Gorilla Glue on the steel around the hole (that will be covered by the new metal plate), and on the metal plate. When tacky, press together, then find something to hold it in place till dry.
And one more thing - do your best to keep your tank clean.
The 3/4" plywood will work great if the hole is not to big.

Ken Clean

Name
Ken Schow
The 3/4" plywood will work great if the hole is not to big.
OPPS -- being new to a forum, I did not check the date you posted your comment -- I hope you solved your problem without a big out lay of cash. From lots of practical experience, the 3/4" or a 1" plywood cover works great, is simple and easy to install...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom