Help with my ADD

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
What kind of add on services are you pushing and how are they sold. I’m not talking about bait and switch (it cost more if you actually want it clean). I want to raise my average job total by 50% but the market is too tight for me to bump up my cleaning rate much. I want to find a way to do this without any high pressure sales techniques.

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
I would say do like a referal program . I have ran a ad for one free room of protector with a minumum purchase. You could also try getting a commercial contract at night if you have the time. I am gonna be focusing in the years to come on making my services more complete for commercial. I would like to have added strip and wax, t&g , plus some marble and stone polishing into the scheme. I figure if I can stay solid in the winter months and all year round with commercial when the residentials come in the spring and summer I will be makin some duckets .

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Protectant is your number one add on as a carpet cleaner. Do you do Tile and Grout cleaning? That would be your next one. How about upholstery...probably your easiest add on as far as making the sale goes.

I am finding that house cleaning is starting to work out.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I am going to start really pushing Protestant. I have not really been doing so because everyone is worried about dry times. 6-10 hours to dry is normal this time of year. Anyone that thinks that’s too long they are likely not from the Mold Belt. I’m picking up an airpath today hopefully that helps with dry times. I think I’ll order the marketing kit from Scotchgard. I guess I can have some kind of ongoing sale and free demo on tile & grout cleaning and upholstery cleaning. I might start using the Stanley Steemer demo trick on upholstery. Put towel between hose connections, take a couple dry strokes and show them the black spot. Any other ideas?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
It is Ad not A.D.D. I thought you were having attentional problems.

I would focus on Protector and upholstery. I think one of the most undermarketed products is upholstery cleaning and people really want to get the most out of their furniture.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I thought it was Add like as in math.
Not Ad like as in advertise

Until I read the post I thought it was going to me an attention thing too.

what was I talking about?

juniorc82

Supportive Member
Name
Jon Coret
If you order scotchguard through jon don they give you the scotchguard demo cards for free upon request. then you just show people the card after you run water over it and half the card is mushy the other half that is scotchguard is still firm and that usualy sells it

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
shouldn't use the water trick Junior. You should put it in a bag if dirt and shake it up then just shake it off. if you do the water trick it will only work for 1 job a day

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Sometimes the straight-forward approach of simply raising your prices is a better approach. Worked wonders for us.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I walk away from allot jobs feeling like I left money on the table. A price increase and changing over to per SQ FT pricing makes since, but I can’t do it now. This is only my second year with my new company. I think my existing customer would tolerate a reasonable price increases, but my customer base is still small. Some new customers may be willing to pay more, but it would require in home estimates and some salesmanship on my part. It takes time and effort to build a premium customer base that is willing to pay for value not just looking for the lowest price. Only 1 in 4 of my new customers is worth marketing to. I hate sales but, I need to do it to make the business viable. I just got some nice embroidered polo shirts in and am going to start working on some new marketing materials. Hopefully refining my professional image will help justify higher prices soon. My problem is that I am usually to busy doing the low bid cash flow work to change anything.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
Is there ever a good time to raise your prices? We were in business for ten years before we took a price increase seriously. We started going up incrementally and what we found every time was that no one noticed or much less cared. We went up 85% over two years or so. As long as they're happy with the price, how you get there is academic. Per room or per square foot, if the job comes up to $158, $258 or $358 what does the pricing mechanisim matter?

It didn't take any salesmanship either. If people value you as the fellow who cares for their furnishings there's not much selling involved. And, if you're targeting the right demographic price is a secondary issue. My philosophy is there are plenty of people who value clean stuff and have the discretionary income to get what they want. When someone can park a couple of $40K vehicles in their driveway they can certainly pay for carpet cleaning. Their biggest frustration is finding someone who can meet their expectations. Those are the folks to target.

Chris A

Name
Chris
like Greg, I focus on protector and upholstery. These two items you can usually tackle without ruining your schedule. It doesn't take long to clean a sofa.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
juniorc82 said:
If you order scotchguard through jon don they give you the scotchguard demo cards for free upon request. then you just show people the card after you run water over it and half the card is mushy the other half that is scotchguard is still firm and that usualy sells it
Actually, Jon, you can get even more sophisticated than this. I've got a whole stable of techniques to bump up the price (and value) of the job. Just e-mail me at stoburen@StrategiesForSuccess.com and put the word "upsell" in the subject line. (Actually, my spell-check says that upsell is not a word. In this economy I would say that not only is it a word, but it is absolutely essential too!)

Island Boy
www.StrategiesForSuccess.com

PS I do agree that Scotchgard (or another protector) is the easiest and fastest money out there!

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Wayne Wrote

My philosophy is there are plenty of people who value clean stuff and have the discretionary income to get what they want. When someone can park a couple of $40K vehicles in their driveway they can certainly pay for carpet cleaning.

Me speaking as someone who had a couple of 40K vehicles in their driveway (and couldn't afford them) sometimes people's possessions take all their resources and then they feel like they have to be cheap in the service areas. IE: Hiring illegals, price shopping etc. Although it usually takes one bad job to realize their mistake. Experience.

I used to find that "rich" people will look for the best deal. Sometimes that's how they got their money to begin with.
It is usually newer money that will do this.
Where some football star will not think twice about spending 40K on a diamond ring for his ear, they want 20 dollars off the cleaning price.
The Coach of the big team will want the better value.

That's why I think our demo closer to the 40 years old mark with money is some of the better ones. They know what the value of value.

I cleaned for an ex 49er and he was cool about the price.

I cleaned for a Sf Giant that was still new to the game and he was a cheap MO Fo...but had at least an 80K car in the drive.

Go figure.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Brian, so your advice is to market to ex NFL players over 40? With the recession you west coast guys are just now seeing the kind of price shopping and hesitancy to buy that was the norm for the Midwest.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
ACE said:
Brian, so your advice is to market to ex NFL players over 40? With the recession you west coast guys are just now seeing the kind of price shopping and hesitancy to buy that was the norm for the Midwest.

Ha, no....I want to market to their wives and daughters.
They make the spending decisions...as long as the Hubby isn't around.

If this is a recession, I would be overwhelmed if it wasn't.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I hate to break it to you, but yeah, this is a recession. In fact, it's been quite a while since I've seen a 50 cents a sf post even on ICS.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
"Me speaking as someone who had a couple of 40K vehicles in their driveway (and couldn't afford them) sometimes people's possessions take all their resources and then they feel like they have to be cheap in the service areas."

And, sometimes that's not the case. It's not typical, but I spent the last two days in million dollar homes. Well, one is probably more like $800K. Neither do services on the cheap. Neither made they're fortunes clipping coupons. I'm sure they've heard something about a recession but they aren't feeling it. That seems to be true for many of the folks I've been working for. Not everyone feels the recession the same way and there's no point assuming they all do.

It's no accident we live where we do. The median income in the county we live in is nearly $102K. Last time I checked job listings online there were hundreds. Nothing I was qualified for, but there doesn't seem to be a big shortage of good jobs in the Washington/Baltimore Corridor. Naturally, it's easier to be optimistic living here.

Regardless, there's a good arguement that you look for what you think you should expect and, generally, you find what you look for. I can find a big, fat zeros all day long when I'm looking for them. It's near impossible to find the nuggets when I've already convinced myself they ain't there for the finding.

When I see two or three $40K+ cars in the driveway, whether I assume they're cheap and/or broke or whether I assume it's a sign of discretionary income, either way, I'll probably be right.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Wayne wrote

When I see two or three $40K+ cars in the driveway, whether I assume they're cheap and/or broke or whether I assume it's a sign of discretionary income, either way, I'll probably be right.

You sound like a student of the secret.

I am the same way. Stay positive on the sale and it will come through.
Works that way with most things.

I was just playing devil's advocate.

Wayne Miller

Name
Wayne Miller
My son Graham taught me a great object lesson some years ago. When he was 6 or 7 he decided to go find a turtle in the woods. Despite my best fatherly instincts to tell him you don't just walk into the woods and find a turtle I shut my face and took him into the woods to find a turtle. Literally, within minutes, he found not one, but two turtles.

The Secret is a little too New Age for me. What I will say, though, is it's way more fun to stay positive and live in the possibilities.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Confession,
I only said protector because that is what has been the norm. But what Fred sed makes a lot of sense as I have seen the same thing.
Letting people know what you do seems stupid really "they should know what I do, Right?"

But you have to tell people everything you do or they won't get it.
I learned that in Letip. You can tell people all day long that you clean carpets but after a year when somebody says "you clean upholstery too?" who's fault is it that they didn't know? Mine.

I try to list my services whenever I can now and always bring it up over the phone and in the home when I do estimates.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
Repairs and Re-stretch are good. I took repair class last year and am still slow and work up a nervous sweat often but, it’s fun work. When you solve a tough problem with a repair you earn allot of respect from the custy. Repair work is also something the bigger companies and franchise have a hard time doing. I sold protector yesterday! The airpath kicks butt! Extended dry times are no longer an excuse not to buy protector.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Ace,

Wayne, Brian, and Fred are giving you some great advice. The one thing nobody has said is that you are really a sales person. Such a terrible word, but it's true. The end result of doing a good sales job is a happy customer and a large check for you. It's very seldom that I leave a house without a add on or two.My background is sales and it provides me with a little different perspective. Fred is right when he says people don't like to be sold. In general people don't like to be sold, but they do like to buy. I have a Tri-fold that I hand out when I first get to the house. Full color, professionally done. Nearly every one I hand it to reads it. I don't hand it to them until after I have looked at everything they want done. I simply say, Here is a little information about additional service we can provide if you ever need them. I'll just leave it with you to read at your leisure. We start setting up and usually I see them reading it. It's surprising how many people add on upholstery and mattress cleaning just from reading my flier. Not all but most will ask for an estimate for their tile. The number one mistake most sales people make is not asking for the order. At every sales meeting I went to that is the number one thing that they drill in your head. If you want to get technical you are never supposed to ask a yes or no question. Instead of asking "Do you want protector", say "Would you like protector in just the traffic pattern or the whole room." People are conditioned to say no to things. I'm not trying to tell you to trick someone, but the second requires that they actually think about if first. There are plenty of great books on the subject of sales. You might find a book about it makes your more money then any machine you can buy.

Gene

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Steven Hoodlebrink said:
How many of you have single sales sheets to leave your customers ?

I was working with this...but I am going to come up with something else.

[center:3g0ehhux]Thank You[/center:3g0ehhux]

For letting us into your home and trusting us to perform our services.

Other Services We Offer
1. Scotchgard
2. Tile and Grout Cleaning (Floors, Counter Tops, Shower Stalls Etc.)
3. Tile and Grout Sealing
4. Upholstery Cleaning
5. Deodorizer
6. Repairs and Stretching
7. Emergency Flood Service
8. House Cleaning
9. Pool Cleaning

If you would like any of these services Today or any other day, please feel free to ask the Cleaning Technician or give us a call at the office.
Thanks Again,
Brian Robison
Brian Robison
Owner
Service 1 Carpet and Tile Cleaning
916-729-2900

Def a work in progress, but it's something.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
Brian,

Just a thought , instead of a check list of the services you preform I would recommend a detailed description of how each service can benefit them.

Gene

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
GeneMiller said:
Brian,

Just a thought , instead of a check list of the services you preform I would recommend a detailed description of how each service can benefit them.

Gene
Brian Robison said:
Good idea

Hence the single sales sheets.

I recommend having them like:

Sheet one: Carpet, Upholstery, Protector
Sheet two: Tile/Stone, Clear Sealant, Color Sealant
Sheet three: Urine Treatment (Topical/Subsurface, Subsurface/Subfloor treatment)
Sheet four: Extending the life of your textiles, and furniture(Go in depth on Carpet Protector, and Tile Sealing/Color Sealing; as well as how important regular maintainence is, as well as tips (Vacuuming, spot cleaning)

Ect...

They can be used as mailings, or part of the goodies you leave behind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom