Hey Connor, tell us how the scumbag plumbers screw people

Bob Foster

Lets hear some stories.

How long do they last?

What happens to them once they earn their bad reputation?

Connor

Name
Connor
Re: Hey Connor, tell us how the scumbag plumbers screw peopl

How long do they last? They get by forever. Some go out of business, then change their name and start a new corporation. It goes on and on.

Man, I can write a book on the attempted screw jobs I've been behind. From technicians telling absentee landlords that the toilet has a hairline fracture in the bowl, which wasn't cracked, but a flange problem, to lying about drain conditions to attempt to sell a repipe on a DWV system that's under concrete.

Plenty of salesmen say replacements are "needed" when it's easily repairable.

I even had a competitor tell a customer's fiancee that they're entire under slab sewer line under their rental house was totally root bound and busted, but when I came out for a second opinion, the video camera told the truth that there were roots in the sewer, but in the middle of the yard, not under the slab. That customer was charged $900 for "services" when all it really was was a clogged sewer line and it had exterior clean out access. Took me less than half an hour to clear. The cost for opening the slab and replacing everything was starting at 20k. 20k on an 80k dollar house.

My customer was out of town and his fiancee mistakenly called this other guy instead of me. When my customer came home the next day and couldn't believe that guys dishonesty, especially considering that he put an untrue, supposed visual, diagnosis on paper, only to be refuted by a second opinion and disproved by customer witnessed CCTV testimony of the real condition of his drain lines.

Same guy charged $200 bucks a week later to a different person and wouldn't clear a washing machine drain. He said the pipe was collapsed, but it wasn't, it ran suspended off the ground in the crawlspace. I was complete and loaded up in 27 minutes. The customer suspected something was wrong, so he called for a second opinion. Same company, same technician. I read his name and diagnosis with my own eyes.

Every plumber that has endured employment and quit with this company has always said the same thing when asked why they quit..."The money was good, but I don't want the headaches anymore". Headaches means having to find something to sell on every job. The word "headache" is always used.

It's funny how these guys find total wrecked systems all the time. Most of my stuff is easy in and out repairs in a couple of hours.

The problem with such companies is the management, they don't necessarily tell the guys to lie to customer, but if they're sales aren't high, then they are threatened with termination and belittled. Sales are posted on the wall and competition is encouraged among technicians.

They have their employees go through "training" videos and seminars about how to properly "serve" the customer with the "right" kind of repairs and replacement. The management knows they lie and crook customers, but self-absolve, feigning ignorance, for the sake of profit.

I don't care what your selling price is, you charge what you want to earn, that's free market, but when you won't offer honest repairs when your customers are expecting it, is just as scumbag lowlife as it comes.

B&BGaryC

Name
B&BGaryC

Why are we asking Connor about plumbers?

John Olson

Name
John Olson

Because he is a plumber......gotta keep up Gary :)

Connor

Name
Connor

B&BGaryC said:

:lol: You didn't know? I suppose the next question is going you'll ask is "why is he on Mikeysboard with a bunch of carpet cleaners?"

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L

And what's up with those low flow water conserving toilets?

It takes me 3 or 4 flushes to get my turds to go away.

Wheres the savings?

People want to know!

I'm telling you now that there will be riots in the streets.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

Speakin' of terlets...

what toilet did you say was the best, ConnOrhEd??

Kohler Cimeron or sump'um like that??

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter

Connor said:
B&BGaryC said:

:lol: You didn't know? I suppose the next question is going you'll ask is "why is he on Mikeysboard with a bunch of carpet cleaners?"

an' what's more....
WTF did he sen me flurres....?

Connor

Name
Connor

Cimarron is one of the better ones, I also like the Toto Drake. If you want a good flush on a budget or just cheap, Western Pottery is my recommended line. I actually carry Western on the truck. My office toilet is a Cimarron and I dumped paper towels in it for weeks and didn't have any trouble.

b]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RLXfxtouEb]

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Jimmy L said:
And what's up with those low flow water conserving toilets?

It takes me 3 or 4 flushes to get my turds to go away.

Wheres the savings?

People want to know!

I'm telling you now that there will be riots in the streets.

I always flush twice....it's over 130 foot to the main sewer. Gives it a little extra flow.

Had a neighbor a few streets over that was shittin' in his back yard and burying it, cause he didn't want to spend the money on the water bill. Neighbors finally bitched. Health dept came out.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Connor said:
Cimarron is one of the better ones, I also like the Toto Drake. If you want a good flush on a budget or just cheap, Western Pottery is my recommended line. I actually carry Western on the truck. My office toilet is a Cimarron and I dumped paper towels in it for weeks and didn't have any trouble.

c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_RLXfxtouEc]

I got the American Standard oval, handicap tall toilet. Ain't that far to sit down anymore.

(Just a little potty humor)

Bob Foster

For a really good test you need to put a throne in a hotel room that was shared by Eckman and Brevic. After a few days of eating including Waffle House breakfasts we'll see. I bet the plating will even come off the flush handle and there will be more than hairline cracks in the porcelain. :lol:

Connor

Name
Connor

rwcarpet said:
I got the American Standard oval, handicap tall toilet. Ain't that far to sit down anymore.

American Standard has design issues with their mechanical parts. By the time they get it right, they remake a whole different problem with the next model. Their Champion model had bragging rights because they said it can flush a couple of dozen golf balls. I said, when I start crapping golf balls I'll consider their product. When they make a can that can flush three cans of Play-Doh, I'll be impressed.

American Standard used to be the best money could buy. I'd rather rebuild their old stuff from the sixties than install any of their new stuff.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink

Do you work with any carpet cleaning and or restoration companies where you're at ?

How many of them have thrown money at you to refer them ?

Do you work with any in case you make a boo boo ?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave

Ours are Gerber, I thought they made baby food? :shock:
Careful what ya feed your kids. :p

Connor

Name
Connor

Hoody said:
Do you work with any carpet cleaning and or restoration companies where you're at ?

Naah, I've sent a few referrals to those guys offering spiffs and never heard a call back or even a thank you. I even called them from the customers house and they didn't even acknowledge it, so screw em. It ain't like they're recommending me for repairs if they get the call first anyway. One guy I met on a sewer restoration told me that he'd "make it worth my while" to refer him, so I did several times and he never kept up his end of the bargain, so I quit, a few weeks later he caught on that I wasn't sending him anymore work and he got all buddy-buddy and wanted to take me to lunch. I didn't even call him back.

Local green truck franchise owner bothers the piss out of me regularly. There is too much face time there. He thinks because he's got time to sit around that I can, if I am at the office, then I am busy, the internet ain't gonna search itself, right? I just throw his cards in the round file now. He's burned that bridge by being a nuisance. Cold calls aren't always welcome.

I just let my customers insurance guy either recommend somebody or let them figure it out for themselves.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge

Connor said:
rwcarpet said:

American Standard has design issues with their mechanical parts. By the time they get it right, they remake a whole different problem with the next model. Their Champion model had bragging rights because they said it can flush a couple of dozen golf balls. I said, when I start crapping golf balls I'll consider their product. When they make a can that can flush three cans of Play-Doh, I'll be impressed.

American Standard used to be the best money could buy. I'd rather rebuild their old stuff from the sixties than install any of their new stuff.

I use American Standard cause my Daddy was in the plumbing business well over 50 years, and he insisted on AS. Plus, it seems to be the big seller around these parts.

Mikey P

Administrator

Connor said:
Hoody said:

Naah, I've sent a few referrals to those guys offering spiffs and never heard a call back or even a thank you. I even called them from the customers house and they didn't even acknowledge it, so screw em. It ain't like they're recommending me for repairs if they get the call first anyway. One guy I met on a sewer restoration told me that he'd "make it worth my while" to refer him, so I did several times and he never kept up his end of the bargain, so I quit, a few weeks later he caught on that I wasn't sending him anymore work and he got all buddy-buddy and wanted to take me to lunch. I didn't even call him back.

Local green truck franchise owner bothers the piss out of me regularly. There is too much face time there. He thinks because he's got time to sit around that I can, if I am at the office, then I am busy, the internet ain't gonna search itself, right? I just throw his cards in the round file now. He's burned that bridge by being a nuisance. Cold calls aren't always welcome.

I just let my customers insurance guy either recommend somebody or let them figure it out for themselves.

boy there is a hell of a statement right there.

I know Carpet Retailers that feel the same way.

Connor

Name
Connor

rwcarpet said:
I use American Standard cause my Daddy was in the plumbing business well over 50 years, and he insisted on AS. Plus, it seems to be the big seller around these parts.

Their quality today is nothing like it was then.

They get spec'd by engineers and architects because of their ratings in lab testing. Real world they are hit or miss. I take a lot of their stuff out of new commercial buildings that's barely two years old and into the dumpster it goes CRASH! The first generation Champion toilet was on the border of a class action suit. Their exclusive mechanical lavatory pop up drain that has to be installed with their faucet is the biggest hunk of name brand crap I've had the joy of yanking out. I don't want to risk their shaky product installs. Just not consistent, but depending on your time of purchase YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom