High-End Homes?

G

getdusty

We're struggling with narrowing in on a target market. We've been in business for almost 3 years and currently serve mostly high-end homes (4K sq ft+), but seem to be more profitable with the average home (2500 sq ft).

How would you describe your ideal client? What are some of the pro's and con's of each market?

Thanks,

Dusty

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Mid level homes are ideal.

They have money, but not so much where they won't spend it.

They are a little more level headed about paying for a service than the higher end.... and can afford to get quality service more so than the low end.

My entire demographic is female homeowners of mid level houses (2000 to 3000 sqft). Kids, pets and a husband.

It helps when the husband makes above average money but his wife keeps him grounded with the spending.

These are typically the people that buy Groupons and Living Social Vouchers and actually care about the service AND the company providing it.

They are givers, consumers and real people.

Other than commercial accounts, not sure why anyone would try for any other.

G

getdusty

Brian, interesting comparison. I never looked at it like that before, but I think you're spot on. Yes, pun was intentional.

How crowded do you think that mid-market is as far as competition?

Thank you.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
There is always enough work for everyone. Until that changes... I think you'll be fine.

Here's some advice.

Go after the 60% of the people who don't think about carpet cleaning until it hits them in the face.

Go after the customer, not the job. Go after their emotions, not their money. Go after their contacts, not just them.

The mistake some companies make is they think they're not dealing with real people.

Size of home has nothing to do with a person's wealth or what they will pay for carpet cleaning!

You can tell how well off a person is by the type of furniture, how the home is decorated, fixtures, and the homes overall appearance and upkeep. Not what is in the driveway or the size of the home.

High end to me means someone that is ready for my services, appreciates good work, and does not ask me about price.

G

getdusty

Daniel, I completely agree. I was just using the size as an example. I've been in 6000 sq ft homes that look like crap, and 2000 sq ft home that look like model homes. 2 completely different clients, and that 2000 sq ft "high-end" home is what we love.

How do you find what you consider to be a high-end client? Is it a particular neighborhood? Is it from a mailing list?

Thanks.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
danielc said:
Size of home has nothing to do with a person's wealth or what they will pay for carpet cleaning!

You can tell how well off a person is by the type of furniture, how the home is decorated, fixtures, and the homes overall appearance and upkeep. Not what is in the driveway or the size of the home.

High end to me means someone that is ready for my services, appreciates good work, and does not ask me about price.

That just sounds irresponsible to me. :lol:

I understand that a 4000 sqft dump may not be the same as a 1000 sqft penthouse.... I think it was just a measuring tool because generally the houses we look for in a mid to high level are going to be similar.

Dusty,
You don't find them.... They find you (for the most part).
The key is to have the image consistent with their needs and be ready for them when they call.

If you have an image that says "mid level" homes with a little bit of common sense advertising, they'll find you....It's up to you to help MORE of them find you by placing yourself in the places they are looking.

G

getdusty

Brian R said:
Go after the 60% of the people who don't think about carpet cleaning until it hits them in the face.

Brian, can you explain this a little? Are you referring to people who don't clean their carpets often, or maybe to those who just wait until they are visibly dirty?

Thanks.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Some think of it as a normal maintenance process. Others only think about it when they need it... Moving out or in, had something happen like a heavy spill or other etc.

You have to wake people up... Groupon is good for this.

So is TV, but that's real money.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Brian R said:
Some think of it as a normal maintenance process. Others only think about it when they need it... Moving out or in, had something happen like a heavy spill or other etc.

You have to wake people up... Groupon is good for this.

So is TV, but that's real money.

LOL- TV and Radio are for sure real money.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom