High End Upholstery (Attn. Jim Pemberton?)

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Thanks Bob!

Here's something that I find chilling from the article:

“You’re getting things like feather and down cushions as opposed to foam.”

Discoloration from the flame retardant applied to ticking used to wrap down has been pegged as a possible culprit that can cause permanent color damage to the fabric, which often shows up after cleaning, though it will sometimes do so over time either way.

Be careful with anything with down in it.

I cleaned a 30,000.00 sofa many years back. It all went fine, but I admit I was nervous and took all day on what could otherwise have been done in an hour or so.

OK..not "nervous"...scared.

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I won't ever forget the story you told about the lion and the couch.

I've never cleaned anything expensive fabric wise(that I was aware of), but leather goods i've done a few nubuck living room suites that were 10k+.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
If you think these price points are unheard of you just need to get out more.

In every major city there's a "design center" full of showrooms for designers. In reality, these are places for designers to bring their clients to give them a big dose of sticker shock until the client starts to believe the $6,000 chair is actually a bargain. We have one of those bargains in our shop right now, a Christian Liaigre chair that's part of a furniture set.

It's undeniably stylish, so for the people that routinely drop $400 for the wine at dinner or live in a multi-million dollar condo, the price is no big deal. Relative to their net worth it's fifty bucks.

PS: I'll admit to feeling particularly flush at one point and dropped the price of a small car on two pieces of leather furniture. I won't do that again, but at least my kids will have something to fight over.

Last edited:

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
cleaned a silk sofa, don't know how much it was.
These designers are always coming up with fancy expensive fabrics
I wouldn't have to worry about the sofa shown, haven't got into cleaning leather yet

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
LOL- good one Chris- actually what I failed to mention was that 11.5 is the selling price in our Roche Bubois showroom in the Michigan Design Center. The mark up is pretty high in furiture so my cost was much much less for the 2 piece sofa sectional. The leather is unbelievable. I can't remember Chris if you have been to my new place and saw it.

Reactions: glenboy

Chris A

Name
Chris
No I've only ever been to the Oak Park shop, I thought you guys were out of the furniture bidness, dunno where I got that from.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
We stopped being a furniture retailer, but Edgar had bought into the Roche Bubois model in around 2004 and we took it over after he passed.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I have done some high priced upholstery pieces...20-25grand sofas etc..

My favorites are Marge Carson pieces...as a matter of fact I'm trying to sell a Marge Carson cocktail table right now...purchase price was 5400 dollars.
Anyone? Show up with some cash and take it. I don't have room for it right now. I can send a picture of it if you want it..

Last edited:

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I have done some high priced upholstery pieces...20-25grand sofas etc..

My favorites are Marge Carson pieces...as a matter of fact I'm trying to sell a Marge Carson cocktail table right...purchase price was 5400 dollars.
Anyone? Show up with some cash and take it. I don't have room for it right now. I can send a picture of it if you want it..

A carpet cleaner with a $5400 end table?.........thought only Mikey could afford luxury like that. I'd have water rings from my beers on it.

Chris A

Name
Chris
I misunderstood, I thought you were talking about the showroom. I think the last time we were up was 2010 so Im sure I saw it.

pablomoreno

Name
Paul Brown
I clean a lot of high end couches and furniture. I clean many of the Wineries in the Napa valley, as well as for clients in San Francisco and Marin County. I clean for the Swig family that owned the Fairmont Hotel chain... One of the scary pieces I cleaned last year was a hand printed woodblock linen fabric custom couch made for Benjamin Swig in the 1940's....all down pillows inside and with ripe old seams. It was at the country house on 500 acres in Sonoma County. One of the grand kids came out of the pool and sat on the cushion and browned it. I studied cleaning it for about 16 months. No one else around here is stupid enough to touch it. The worst part was removing the pillows, bagging them in plastic, reinserting them for fabric shape stability and repeating to remove bags when dry. I extracted this with a reducing solution and got the brown out. Whew!

Another scary piece was Robert Mondavi's suede love seat in his office. After he died the winery wanted to move it to the Mondavi museum. He ate his lunch there for about 50 years and missed his mouth a few times in the process. As you know, you can't wet clean suede without staining it. I brought it home, put on my respirator, got out my Black and decker Mouse orbital sander and a variety of sandpaper grits and erased the stains. Easier than I thought.

. I regularly clean Fitzgerald, McGuire, Henreon, Karges, Baker, Ron Mann. Robert Lucarini, Eames....

I spent ten years making art glass and selling it in galleries, took a lot of graduate art classes....good training for upholstery cleaning.View attachment 1602

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
A carpet cleaner with a $5400 end table?.........thought only Mikey could afford luxury like that. I'd have water rings from my beers on it.

View attachment 1603

This is it. And no I wouldn't want your beer sweating on it :biggrin:

It is a two men project to lift the thing...it is really heavy!

As far as it being pricey...uummm some of us don't spend money on 4 wheelers or boats or motorcycles or drinks everyday....some of us are non smokers- I can't believe how much money people spend on cigarettes!! That will possibly ruin their health and in the end they will spend even more money on doctors and medications to try to fix the problem. :smile:
So it is not that pricey if you invest into different things in life. :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ken Snow

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
View attachment 1603

This is it. And no I wouldn't want your beer sweating on it :biggrin:

It is a two men project to lift the thing...it is really heavy!

As far as it being pricey...uummm some of us don't spend money on 4 wheelers or boats or motorcycles or drinks everyday....some of us are non smokers- I can't believe how much money people spend on cigarettes!! That will possibly ruin their health and in the end they will spend even more money on doctors and medications to try to fix the problem. :smile:
So it is not that pricey if you invest into different things in life. :smile:

I guess all my money went into raising 6 kids and sending them through parochial school.

Reactions: Bruce Humphrey

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
Wow that is a lot of kids! My former and I did not have kids and very few toys but we both like high quality furnishings.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
I guess all my money went into raising 6 kids and sending them through parochial school.

Yup 6 kids will do that...take up all your resources. I guess different "investments" will yield differently.. Kids are awesome- I have 2 kids and wouldn't trade anything in the world for them. No toys or money can substitue! And I know you are painfully aware of that....

Weebco

Name
Gary Wiebe
re8e9eqy.jpg

We clean and treat Sofa,s like this one all the time. Lots of upholstery from Roche BOBOIS.

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Yup 6 kids will do that...take up all your resources. I guess different "investments" will yield differently.. Kids are awesome- I have 2 kids and wouldn't trade anything in the world for them. No toys or money can substitue! And I know you are painfully aware of that....

Thanks, Zee......

Reactions: Weebco

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom