high steam carpet cleaning.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
Replace.

You don't need 300 degrees to clean carpets. The right chemistry and agitation with decent heat (220-240) should be perfectly fine.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
bahrahm said:
what is gonna happen when carpet clean with higher than 300 F temp?

if you could actually get 300 to the carpet , you'd start melt/distorting olefin fibers
Which i believe starts at 280F
Not sure what nylon's melt temp is, but i know it's higher

you'll never get that high a temp to the fiber though ...not with any "regular" CCing machine anyway

..l.T.A.

AmyBrown07

What are you using? I remember seeing some carpet damage after someone's machine had malfunctioned and overheated. Back when I was working with a Boston house cleaning company. Let's just say we were still learning! :/ Bad news bears!

Definitely don't TRY to get the temp that high.

Mike Draper

The rubber inside your hose would melt and then you would have black melted rubber all over the carpet. I think about 210 at the wand is premium for most all residential situations.

Zee

Supportive Member
Name
There is definitely a sweetspot to good carpet cleaning. Too little flow or too little heat and low pressure is a problem.

Also too much flow and too high heat and high pressure is a problem as well.

You need to adjust to your machine's heating capabilities and blower capacitiy.

Small blower with heat exchanger: lower pressure smaller flow number moderate heat will clean just fine.
Larger blowers with fuelfired heat: higher flow higher pressure with the higher heat is perfect.

Too high heat will result in less actual flow and lose the flushing action.

I think Jim Martin said it well: find the sweetspot where your unti will do the best job.

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
I can get great results with 180 ATW. 210 ATWis ideal and anything much above that you end up replacing hose and brass more offten than needed.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
wouldn't even think of using Neptune hose at those temps!

the Parflex hose is only rated to 230F
I just had some cut off, had several pin holes from jobs I was doing this past week with the 4HT cranked
Odd thing was, it was where the anti-bend coil was on the far end of the hose, not the closest to the truck but 120ft away. Go figure.

not many hoses capable of 300. The Toronado is rated for it, but you better be wearing gloves or you'll scald your hand when moving it. Its hot enough when just over boiling

300 at the truck is insane, no need for it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Ron Werner said:

I agree, but 300 ATM will be nowhere near 300 at the "fiber"

Drapes, did you buy a digi thermometer?
I know you have a temp gauge on your wand.
I'd love to see the temp difference from wand to fiber .
NO that thermal imaging thing won't work , just get a $5 digi meat thermometer at Harbor Freight .
Stick the probe on the fibers under the jet spray .
The temp gauge read out head will be in front of the wand so you can read the temp

.L.T.A.

bahrahm

reason y i post this cuz all the dry cleaning place use steams to remove spots n press all fabrics. so i was thinking mayb we can use steam vapor system to cleaning carpets. i know many ppl use steam to clean car seats and some upholstery also check this out .. steam car wash ... www.sjecorp.com

Jamesh921

Name
James
About 10 yrs ago Steamway had a sales rep named Dusty who would drive around the country and demo machines and such.

He came by one day and hooked up a temp gauge to my wand with 50 feet of hose and cranked the heat to the max (I have a Powermatic 2100).

I don't know what the temp was at the carpet, but ATW it topped out a 294 degrees.

Steam was rolling off the hoses and all the brass fittings - it was actually SCARRY! It looked as if stuff was going to start coming apart at any moment.

"IF" the industry ever got to the point that we start cleaning at those temps, the equipment would need to be upgraded in order to keep pace.

On a side note - Could you imagine if a hose broke at those temps?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
meAt said:
Ron Werner said:

I agree, but 300 ATM will be nowhere near 300 at the "fiber"

Agreed. As soon as the water is released it will vapourize and drop so fast in temp that heating the fibre won't be an issue.
However, the heat in the hose on the carpet, the wear on equipment, safety, etc are of more concern.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
unless its kept under pressure, then you can superheat it. That of course becomes the danger.

If at around 220 at the truck, by the time it gets to the wand its below boiling
even at 240ATT, by the time it comes out the jets its cooled considerably, still hot enough to scald

lance

I think Ron Lippold dual wands at 220-225 degrees with a 24 flow wand and an 18 flow wand.

If he's happy with that then it must work really well.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
lance said:
I think Ron Lippold dual wands at 220-225 degrees with a 24 flow wand and an 18 flow wand.

If he's happy with that then it must work really well.

but ........he has the machine that can recover that type of flow and the type of system that can produce the heat.....

try doing that on a lower scale machine...you will be flooding carpets and be lucky to get anything over 150 at the wand.......

it all about finding the balance between your equipment and your tools.....

heat rules when it comes to cleaning carpets....but really..anything over 220/230 is just getting stupid....your doing noting but fatiguing your machine and your tools..

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Having a small high-temp boiler in our plant would require 6-inch concrete containment, quarterly inspections, daily blow-down and record keeping, and it's use wouldn't be allowed in a residential area. Even a small steam boiler has enormous explosive potential; not something I want to park and use near a home. Dry steam can remove yarn twist and otherwise damage heat-set crimps, so is probably better suited for getting spots out of flat-woven cloth than cut-pile yarns. Amazing how it can take the dyebleed out of an Oriental carpet fringe...

A portable lower-temperature steamer could be useful on-location.

Brett

205 temp at porty got me 130 at the jets, not in the carpet. My dry vapor steamer at 285 says for carpet spot work hold it 6 inches from carpet to prevent damage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom