Holmes Inspection.....

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Any body watch this cable show? Last night Mike Holmes had a mold remediation job. The attic had mold groth between the rafters, the basement ceiling had mold groth, the drywall basement walls had mold. He had a mold remediation company come in to rectify the problem. Lots of use of the "dry ice" machine to remove mold from bare wood.

Great show.

Bob Foster

Regularly. Mike Holmes is Canadian and the old series was called Holmes on Homes. It was almost as good.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Dry ice can work well on framing, they just need to keep back away from it and keep moving or it will be to aggressive and chew up the lumber a bit.

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
He's the best!!
I've seen all his movies!!

images

Becker

Name
Becker
No other guy uses the word "proper" so often.

The shows are great.. One of the best home improvement shows.

Big Dude...

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Becker said:
No other guy uses the word "proper" so often.

The shows are great.. One of the best home improvement shows.

Big Dude...

Kinda crazy how his people aren't too safety aware. They rip out drywall and ceilings without gloves or eye protection or masks. They didn't even use gloves on the mold tear out.

The thing I like about his shows is.......there really isn't any budget. Most dumb ass reality shows are always focusing on budgets. If it's needed, Holmes just does it.....worry about paying later.

Becker

Name
Becker
I have a bathroom to demo soon.

Holmes would love it.

Nylon tile spacers are embedded in the grout besides having been used wrong in the 1st place, tiles popping everywhere, grout coming out everywhere.

Formica counter top installed wrong, top 1st trimmed then edges glued on, peeling up in areas.

No exhaust vent.

No shut off on toilet up under sink ( guess they budget ran out )

I think the drywall is original and tub, but I'm sure under tile is cement board screwed or glued right to vinyl flooring over pressed board.

No GFI, but was not code when built.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
Holmes production company has a budget to help compensate the homeowner for using their problem as a show subject. The homeowner pays the remainder, knowing they get it fixed right this time and at a lower cost due to the show subsidy. I'd guess the documentation of issues by the show makes for an easy court win against the offending contractor, so the homeowner gets that assistance as well. There have been occasions where the repair was more than the budget, the homeowner was broke from paying the initial rip-off company, and the contractor fled. His show producer says Holmes has often paid for the overage from his own pocket but never tells anyone he's done it.

He seems to be a real deal good guy.

PS: An interesting show was when he took his crew to New Orleans to try and help out. They rebuilt a community center and could have had the work finished in far less time if they didn't have to work with the lazy locals. The politicians also showed up at the finish to get on camera and take credit for everything.
We all got to see why money and good intentions won't fix New Orleans.

Back
Top Bottom