Hoss 2 month review

I bought Hoss's for both of my cleaning vans two months ago. We've been using them on almost every job we come across.
A little back ground: Before the Hoss we were pre-srcubbing with a CRB or Conquerer and extracting with a wand. We almost always have two people on a truck and one person pre-scrubbing and the other wanding. It was really efficient for us. I did however feel that some carpets should clean up better despite our pre-scrubbing. Also, since I can't be on every job I wanted to make sure that the results would be the same no matter who was cleaning the carpet.

Set Up: We're running them with no flow discs and the flat Teflon glides. Both of our vans have 47 blowers.

What I like about the Hoss
is that it cleans really well. I have no doubt that the Hoss cleans better than pre-scrubbing and extracting with a wand. On some of our jobs we have felt that the carpets have looked noticeably cleaner than our previous attempts with the wand. With this said, a lot of the carpet we clean doesn't look dirty to begin with so I can't see a noticeable difference between the wand or the Hoss when we're done.

We don't spend as much time post spotting. We hardly have to go back over a spot that didn't come out and don't have to use nearly as much gel. Also for commercial, most gum spots come right out with the Hoss.

The machine seems really well built and I think it will hold up well over the long term.

What were struggling with: Our production times are seriously slower. Especially with a two person crew, one guy is standing around. If we're going to continue to use the Hoss on every job I will probably have to go to a one person crew to get my labor rate right. With that said one person can pre-scub and wand a house faster than they can with just running the Hoss over it.

I find it a pain to have to unhook the Hoss and hook up the wand to edge.

I dislike fighting the cord and hoses.

I was dissapointed that a $2,900 machine doesn't come with an electrical cord.

Our dry times are considerably longer with the Hoss. With a pre-scrub and wand, the carpets at my house usually dry in the 4-6 hour range. When I used the Hoss, my carpets dried in about 18-24 hours. Like I said earlier we're running without the flow disc. I'm going to put in a flow disc to try and improve our dry times.

You can tear seams with the Hoss when using the metal glide. On my fourth job of using the Hoss, I tore open a seam. I had to pay an installer to patch it back together. The carpet was old and I should have been more careful and we haven't had any issues since putting on the Teflon glides.
The Hoss sometimes leaves weird patterns in the carpet that don't rake out. I assume they go away with some foot traffic and none of my customers have called to complain about them, but the lines bother me. I guess I'm just used to seeing a nicely groomed carpet when I'm finished.

I've had issues with the spray bars clogging on one my machines. This problem only occurs on the Hoss in my older van with an older fresh water tank. I think the corrosion from the tank is making it past the filter screen and clogging the spray bars. The orifices on the spray bars are super fine and a pain to get cleaned out. I think I've fixed the problem by placing a mesh filter between my fresh water tank and pump.

Overall: We're going to continue to use the Hoss. We're just going to have to make adjustments to allow us to be more efficient and get better dry times.
I had been wanting a rotary extractor for many years and I think that I had only thought of the positives about rotary extraction and none of the drawbacks.

Ron K

So would a CRB- Zipper Combo give him what he needs. Speed and Quality and better Drying times????

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
Guys while the hoss and the zipper are great tools, there is no silver bullet that I know of.

we are professionals, so part of being a professional is the experience that comes from the time and different scenarios that we have worked in and around. You will need to use such experience in choosing the best tool for every job as needed to achieve the level of cleaning and overall efficiency desired.

Trust me I wish there was a silver bullet I could give to the guys in the form of a tool, but to this day I have not found it. Just train and keep training to do the best ensuring your guys are motivated correctly and have the necessary tools to do the jobs you send them out to do.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan

Attachments

• 47C30A21-067E-4925-AEAB-102348495055_zpslj22sqgq.jpg
    47C30A21-067E-4925-AEAB-102348495055_zpslj22sqgq.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 209

hogjowl

Idiot™
Seems to me that controlling the flow is completely paradoxical to the reasons for using that tool. Increasing the vacuum efficiency should be the focus.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Gives you control for every carpet as apposed to running back and forth to truck.

Louis

Supportive Member
Name
Louis
We used to use the hoss on every job. Started getting home later and later. Now we use the crb/host on almost every job, If the traffic areas are bad we hoss them and wand the rest. If it's bad the hoss does the job. The hoss takes longer but on a bad job it makes you look like a professional cleaner. I'm looking at the zipper next.

Russ T.

Supportive Member
Name
Russ Terhaar
Whatever tool you use, the customer has to be made to understand the difference...and happily pay more. It does take more time to use a RE. I work alone and in residential situations, I usually clean bedrooms with a wand and use the RE in the living and high traffic areas. I've even started using the wand to clean a large border around the living room. I'll cover everything the furniture covers with the wand, move the furniture back, get it on blocks/tabs and then switch to my RotoVac.

We have made a prey big deal about RE in our marketing efforts so I want the homeowner to receive what they are expecting when they hire us. Our prices have gone up more than enough to cover the difference so I think it's justified to continue using RE (at least a little bit) on most resi jobs.

There are quite a few occasions where the custy has left me to clean while I do my thing. I'll sometimes shoot them a picture message of the RE in their living room.

Remember, we need to create real fans who are excited about what we are doing and will help spread the word. They have to be made to KNOW that all carpet cleaners are not the same.

The Clean Machine

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Whatever tool you use, the customer has to be made to understand the difference...and happily pay more. It does take more time to use a RE. I work alone and in residential situations, I usually clean bedrooms with a wand and use the RE in the living and high traffic areas. I've even started using the wand to clean a large border around the living room. I'll cover everything the furniture covers with the wand, move the furniture back, get it on blocks/tabs and then switch to my RotoVac.

We have made a prey big deal about RE in our marketing efforts so I want the homeowner to receive what they are expecting when they hire us. Our prices have gone up more than enough to cover the difference so I think it's justified to continue using RE (at least a little bit) on most resi jobs.

There are quite a few occasions where the custy has left me to clean while I do my thing. I'll sometimes shoot them a picture message of the RE in their living room.

Remember, we need to create real fans who are excited about what we are doing and will help spread the word. They have to be made to KNOW that all carpet cleaners are not the same.

The Clean Machine
I like to RE everything with the exception of transitions, thresholds, fireplace cutout or around air vents. I use the wand only in areas I can't reach with the RE. I'll even do landings with it. :icon_cool:

I just find it hard to compare it for pile restoration, I don't really believe it is slower, only appears to be. I think you're fooled by the wand speed because if you have to go over an area a second time and or cross traffic areas the RE will be faster.

That reminds me I need to clean my carpet before Thanksgiving!

Reactions: Russ T.

hogjowl

Idiot™
What? So we're fooled into thinking it takes longer, but it's just some kind of time warp created by the tool?

Get real.

I'm wondering more about the reported increase in drying time than I am cleaning time.

I can deal with increased production times.

Joel D

Name
Joel Darker
I dont have a RE yet. I'm wondering does anyone just clean with it, forget dry passes and just dry pass your way out with the wand while you do the edges? Would that solve the longer dry time issue?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I like to RE everything with the exception of transitions, thresholds, fireplace cutout or around air vents. I use the wand only in areas I can't reach with the RE. I'll even do landings with it. :icon_cool:

I just find it hard to compare it for pile restoration, I don't really believe it is slower, only appears to be. I think you're fooled by the wand speed because if you have to go over an area a second time and or cross traffic areas the RE will be faster.

That reminds me I need to clean my carpet before Thanksgiving!
Please take the "I" from your post.
Substitute with "my poor, god have mercy on their soul, employees" who follow (well they have to, or at least they say they do) the book instructions parachuted down from pencil pushing headquarters.

And anyhow to make the whole process more manageable, I (here you can keep the I) stick to staying in the office while they...............................well.............do......... whatever the hack they want to do.

upload_2014-11-10_14-59-20.jpeg

Yours, R.C. Havez
upload_2014-11-10_15-0-3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom