Hoss,RX20,360i,Zipper Showdown!

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Got all the big guns together for a shootout.

GEDC0018.jpg

hossrx360izipperGEDC0017.jpg

GEDC0019.jpg

Well, it seemed like a good idea. I met up with Erik because he wanted to see the 360i that I like so much, and we tested it against his Hoss which he doesn't really like, and I brought my RX20 (wiped off the cobwebs) and his Zipper Tool. A nasty dirty commercial job by the airport where they import/export. Even had a customs cop with a sniffing dog walk across the job into a holding room. Just trashed. We both use Grease Eraser so there wasn't any differences in chems, his Vortex and my Pro1200 seemed to have similar outputs. Turns out there wasn't much difference in the cleaning abilities of any of the tools even the Ti wand was peeling the black tar after a good soaking by the GE. We all agreed the 360i was our favorite rotary, it was the most aggressive, but the old RX and the Hoss cleaned well also though the Hoss doesn't put out the pressure like the others. Turns out my favorite, and the go to tool on the very large, filthy open area was the Zipper just because of it's raw speed (and no need to go back over the swirls from the rotarys).

So I guess it all comes down to personal preference. If you have any of these tools they'll all do a good job for you with theh right prep.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
I just figgered out how to post pictures Bob. I'm now a dangerous man.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
that is a funky looking rx....

got pics of each doing the work???

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
floorguy said:
that is a funky looking rx....

got pics of each doing the work???

The RX is 20 y/o and for equipment in Arthurville is about 145 years.

I was only able to take three pictures before the memory was full on the camera, but each machine was doing the same thing to the carpet: erasing heavy black soil and making the carpet look great. The owner saw it near the end of the job and said this was MUCH better than the last guys did.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
The Hoss and the RX felt smoother on the CGD then the 360i but they weigh twice as much, and lifting them back into the van requires a pretty good dead lift if you're doing it by yourself. You get used to the way each machine feels and does it's job and all perform very well. I like using the 360i for everyday work because it does such a kickass job and it's weight makes it very convenient. The RX/Hoss have very large heavy motors that should last decades. I'm not having any problems with the motor on the 360i, it stays cool after long periods of hard work and should last a long time also, but I expect it to burn out in a few years just because it's a teeny lil thing and gets used a lot.

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Hey Art, thanks for the comparison.

Since I was just in the market and bought a new rotary, there was really great information on here to at least start/base my comparison.

Why do we still keep talking about the Zipper? No one can buy one, use one, demo one (unless your Art 8) ), or steal one. I probably would have given this one more thought since I already had an older RX. Until we can actually get our hands on one, the Zipper is worthless.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
boazcan said:

Since I was just in the market and bought a new rotary, there was really great information on here to at least start/base my comparison.

Why do we still keep talking about the Zipper? No one can buy one, use one, demo one (unless your Art 8) ), or steal one. I probably would have given this one more thought since I already had an older RX. Until we can actually get our hands on one, the Zipper is worthless.

In two and a half years you'll be able to buy one again.
What rotary did you buy, Bryan

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Art Kelley said:
boazcan said:

What rotary did you buy, Bryan?

boazcan

Name
Bryan C
Art Kelley said:
boazcan said:

What rotary did you buy, Bryan

Hoss. I have been very happy with it so far. However, I have limited use over my career with the RX - so my comments are still forming as I use it. Very happy with it on commercial - which was my main goal.

Joe Couch

Yeah, it's too bad about the Zipper as I bought the last one that could be sold. On CGD it kicks butt!! Easy to use, cleans awesome, and built like a tank. If you can ever come across a used one I would pick it up in a heartbeat.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
What? No Orbot?

That's a shame. Coming back the next day to see all the wicking from the hwe tools and the perfectly clean area from the OP cleaning may have changed your mind on things. :mrgreen:

Some Hot Knife and a Microfriber scrubby works wonders on that carpet.

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
Brian R said:
What? No Orbot?

That's a shame. Coming back the next day to see all the wicking from the hwe tools and the perfectly clean area from the OP cleaning may have changed your mind on things. :mrgreen:

Always have to get in the conversation. Well at least it isn't about a pyramid deal

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
idreadnought said:
Brian R said:
What? No Orbot?

Always have to get in the conversation. Well at least it isn't about a pyramid deal

What pyramid deal?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Jimi said:
Art excluding your concerns about the lifting weight, which cleaned better?
Faster (more sq/ft) and with the least effort?

All the rotaries cleaned about the same, the Hoss has a wider path but doesn't have the aggressive cleaning power of the 360i so you move a little slower so it's a wash there. The RX is the old slow speed one so it chugs along in third.
I don't use the RX at all except for sucking basement floods.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Lee Stockwell said:
I somehow missed the demise of the Zipper??

Exclusive deal with Cintas?Chem Dry? Some other big player...or maybe he just doens't want to sell to Mikeysboarders since they are for sale on ***...

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name

Exclusive deal with Cintas?Chem Dry? Some other big player...or maybe he just doens't want to sell to Mikeysboarders since they are for sale on ***...[/quote:279gcusp]

They're not for sale for two and a half years, not even on ***.

Joe Couch

I post on both boards and they are not for sale anywhere. He has an exclusive deal with someone but can't say who. I was fortunant to buy the last one he was able to sell. As for the Hoss and 360I, I did my own testing in a trashed out rental and the 360I was far better than the Hoss. I just sold the Hoss and am going to replace it with a 360I. Test results don't lie.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Ok before it gets out of hand I was just teasing....How have you been Joe? The 360i is good choice. There are a bunch of folks on here that got them from us (Art being one of them) over all the feedback has been great. AJ Ruiz just got the 4 Head to try out in comparrission to the 3 head that came with the one he bought from me. I am sure he will be happy to share his opinion on both heads.

Joe Couch

Hey John, I knew you were kidding. It does suck that Eric had to go the route he did but I am sure it will work out in the end. As for the 360I, my guys really like it a lot better over the Hoss. It's smaller, easier to get up and down stair cases, and cleans better. We are using the quad head and we are very happy with it. I really wanted the Hoss to work out as the wider cleaning head would speed our times up but after we tested in the trashed apartment you could not deny the results. The Hoss had to go.

Just to clarify, the Hoss is not a bad machine, but 95% of our work is apartments and the 360I works the best for us.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Art Kelley said:
We all agreed the 360i was our favorite rotary, it was the most aggressive, but the old RX and the Hoss cleaned well also though the Hoss doesn't put out the pressure like the others. Turns out my favorite, and the go to tool on the very large, filthy open area was the Zipper just because of it's raw speed (and no need to go back over the swirls from the rotarys).

So I guess it all comes down to personal preference. If you have any of these tools they'll all do a good job for you with the right prep.
Art;

Thanks for taking the time to do the side-by-side testing.

The Hoss 700 has a flow restrictor in the pressure line from the factory.

Was the factory restrictor in place ?

Larry

P.S. The RX-20 is the older low-speed heavier model.

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Loren Egland said:
Does anyone know when the new Mytee rotary will be released? Lots of fun options to look at now-a-days.
It was released and discontinued years ago Loren where ya been? If someone told you something different I'm sure it was just speculation and talking about it will just cause mass confusion....

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Hey... lets have an Artsfest sorta like a miny Mikeyfest....
i bet ya we could get fi ....
maybe six people......

whuddya think Art...
YOUR house?

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
dc klaatu said:
Hey... lets have an Artsfest sorta like a miny Mikeyfest....
i bet ya we could get fi ....
maybe six people......

whuddya think Art...
YOUR house?

We could have a major Mikeyfest here. We could torch entire blocks in Detroit, do some fire resto, flood houses and dry them. No one would mess with us. It's been a few decades since I did the nightlife thing here. Did you ever go to the Zoo Revue on Eight Mile, Bob? They used to have mud wrestling; girls in bikinis wrestling drunk guys, girls on girls, whatever. That was a good place.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom