How can I clean, maitain and keep the quality of my shag rug

stevejones

I recently bought a shag rug for my hall. Its great piece of rug i got, complementary to my furniture and wall colors. I just want to keep the quality of the rug maintained for longer time.

Can you folks suggest me what all i can do to keep the quality of my rug while washing and cleaning?

Thanks somewhat amus

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Re: How can I clean, maitain and keep the quality of my shag

I just want to keep the quality of the rug maintained for longer time.
Can you folks suggest me what all i can do to keep the quality of my rug

what kind of rug?
"shag" isn't enough info

"in general" ..vacuuming properly/regularly will extend the life and looks of any carpet

..L.T.A.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington

Knowing what fiber is used in the face yarns, how it is constructed and the size would allow more specific help.

A grooming tool - a rake or brush for carpet - helps keep the fibers from being entangled and by keeping the pile opened allows your vacuum to reach more of the soil. Consider a Grandi Groom or Grandi Brush or Perky Groomer.

Vacuum regularly.

Have the rug protected with a flourochemical protector such as Maxim Advanced.

stevejones

Erskine Allin said:
I just want to keep the quality of the rug maintained for longer time.
Can you folks suggest me what all i can do to keep the quality of my rug

what kind of rug?
"shag" isn't enough info

"in general" ..vacuuming properly/regularly will extend the life and looks of any carpet

..L.T.A.

Hey thanks for replying.. My rug is made with Polyester. It is knotted one, around 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide a brown color rug.

Mikey P

Administrator

2 inch yarns will most likely get tied up in any beater bar/ brush roll vacuum cleaner so flipping it upside down and vacuuming the the back, followed by sweeping the floor will be in order.

stevejones

Mikey P said:
2 inch yarns will most likely get tied up in any beater bar/ brush roll vacuum cleaner so flipping it upside down and vacuuming the the back, followed by sweeping the floor will be in order.

Ok .. Good. Interesting somewhat amus

stevejones

And what about washing it? Do i need to take any precaution while washing it? I haven't washed it yet. But sooner i believe i got to wash it..

Name
Ron lippold

put it in a giant front load washer 8.00 to wash. hang dry

Mikey P

Administrator

Steve are you a professional carpet cleaner or a home owner who stumbled across this site and took the time to fill out your profile?

stevejones

Mikey P said:
Steve are you a professional carpet cleaner or a home owner who stumbled across this site and took the time to fill out your profile?

I am neither a professional carpet cleaner nor a rug expert. I stumbled across this forum while searching in the net for rug maintenance. I thought here i would get some tips for maintenance of my rug. Am i at right place?

Mikey P

Administrator

we're happy to help you out but this is a forum for professional carpet cleaners.

Have you ever hired a professional to clean your carpet or rugs?

rhyde

Name
rhyde

it sounds like a hand loomed shag accent rugs from India?

As far as washing, most can be washed without much problems the main issues; They hold allot of water are very heavy wet some moving them and getting them dry can be a challenge particularly in a home setting. IF its a shag accent they use a variety of face yarns from cut woven fabric thick loosely spun yarn.. the poly ones I've seen are fabric. Face yarns can Frey,fuzz or felt if too aggressively agitated during washing.

IF you try a large washing machine/dryer make sure there's no gap between the agitator and the drum( BOLTED ON) in the washer shag yarns can get pinched and tear the rug up I did repair for a dry cleaner on 2 of 3 of these over the coarse of a year of so the third was a loss.

GRHeacock

Just keep it vacuumed as needed, but I say- don't try and wash it yourself- in any fashion.

Take it to a professional rug cleaning plant where they wash rugs on a daily basis, and have the know how, and equipment to do it right. (Or have them pick it up and deliver it.)

Gary

stevejones

Mikey P said:
we're happy to help you out but this is a forum for professional carpet cleaners.

Have you ever hired a professional to clean your carpet or rugs?

Nope!! somewhat amus I thought i can take of that...

stevejones

Great!.. Thats good piece of advise.

rhyde said:
it sounds like a hand loomed shag accent rugs from India?

As far as washing, most can be washed without much problems the main issues; They hold allot of water are very heavy wet some moving them and getting them dry can be a challenge particularly in a home setting. IF its a shag accent they use a variety of face yarns from cut woven fabric thick loosely spun yarn.. the poly ones I've seen are fabric. Face yarns can Frey,fuzz or felt if too aggressively agitated during washing.

IF you try a large washing machine/dryer make sure there's no gap between the agitator and the drum( BOLTED ON) in the washer shag yarns can get pinched and tear the rug up I did repair for a dry cleaner on 2 of 3 of these over the coarse of a year of so the third was a loss.

stevejones

GRHeacock said:
Just keep it vacuumed as needed, but I say- don't try and wash it yourself- in any fashion.

Take it to a professional rug cleaning plant where they wash rugs on a daily basis, and have the know how, and equipment to do it right. (Or have them pick it up and deliver it.)

Gary

Its just 7X8, taking it to professional will take my extra time and money. I was looking for some home based solutions. What you guys think, cant i maintain it my own if i am not a professional? Though not greatly but upto some level.

Mikey P

Administrator

lol!

can we see a photo of this rug..

It must be something special...

So Steve, if you were to hire a professional carpet cleaner how would you go about finding one?

Would you ask a carpet or rug retailer?

Look at online reviews?

Take your chances on whoever has the purtiest website?

Hire what ever vans you see in your neighborhood the most?

Ask your pickiest female friends who they use?

FredC

Village Idiot

probably ask the walmart associate that sold him the rug who he uses...............

the quickest and cheapest way to find one...............plus he can pick up some resolve and clothes in the same trip

Works great...hired my last two Software Engineers that way....tried asking how to do it myself on the forums where the Pros hang out ...but those guys were assholes

The Great Oz

Name
bryan

Steve,
There are lots of good rug cleaners in New That City and professional cleaning will be money well spent. You'll regret trying to clean this rug yourself.

stevejones

The Great Oz said:
Steve,
There are lots of good rug cleaners in New That City and professional cleaning will be money well spent. You'll regret trying to clean this rug yourself.

Really.. it looks. After having discussion here, it made me think to hire a professional instead of i jumped into dirt, let the professional handle it. It does not to seem be as easy as i was assuming it.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and advices.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner

I cleaned a 5X8 synthetic shag rug the other day. Trust me, leave it to a professional.

Just vacuuming it can be a challenge as that shag will hold a lot of soil.
Flip it upside down and run the beater brush over it, and over it, repeatedly! Then pick it up, vacuum up the soil on the floor, lay it back down and do it again.

You won't want to use a rental machine on this.

FredC

Village Idiot

stevejones said:
The Great Oz said:
Steve,

Really.. it looks. After having discussion here, it made me think to hire a professional instead of i jumped into dirt, let the professional handle it. It does not to seem be as easy as i was assuming it.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions and advices.

wow....did you hire a Nigerian scammer to make this post for you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom