How Did You Do for 2012?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Well all jobs are in for 2012, not a banner year but acceptable
Report for Steve T.
Goals:
#1- Increase Commercial Business 15% / Actual 18% (This without doing the 81K job that we did last year)
#2- Inc. Overall Sales 26% / Actual 17.4%
#3- Have one tech and office trained on Winning on the Home Front / Actual about 20% accomplished
#4- Have 3 carpet retailers on Board for My Floor Warranty Program / None as of yet (but no fault except my own)
#5- Complete 90% of Weekly Development Meetings / 25% complete
#6-Tech to at least one IICRC class / Didn't Happen (But I attended SFS)
#7- Inc. Church Business by 30% / Hit 15% increase on this
#8- Get 1/2 of my SFS Goals completed / Got to research this / maybe 25%
#9- To go on couple fishing trips with my son, & a couple camping trips / No to fishing, yes to trail-riding (even more fun) no camp outs this year
did attend a HUGE cup scout bonfire and box car derby race & more

I think I sucked for the year on most of my business goals, however on the family side of things I did ok. 2013 has to bring price increases for residential starting in March, I went up on the restaurants that I thought I could and didn't lose any. 2012 was a banner Jan & Feb for mild winter season so that's why I am disappointed in the overall outcome. Will work on 2013 goals next week, but #1 will be to have a tech solo-ed.

Last edited:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
not as much detail as you but up $15,000 from last year

could be up more but turned down a couple cleaning accounts, physically can't do anymore work

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
We list it as Church Commercial Business, we do about 10 church's on a yearly basis and would love to double/triple this avenue. We charge churches slightly more than restaurants but less than normal commercial. Church cleaning is much easier and day/evening shifts
We do of course carpets, upholstery, VCR tile, ceramic tile, this year we even vacumned curtains for a stage.

I guess I'm ashamed to say that our actual residential work is probably only 30-40% of our overall business, probably because I don't like to start before 10 am cuz we're up late at night.

Last edited:

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
We are up this year too. good year just to be up with the economy so bad.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Well all jobs are in for 2012, not a banner year but acceptable
Report for Steve T.
Goals:
#1- Increase Commercial Business 15% / Actual 18% (This without doing the 81K job that we did last year)
#2- Inc. Overall Sales 26% / Actual 17.4%
#3- Have one tech and office trained on Winning on the Home Front / Actual about 20% accomplished
#4- Have 3 carpet retailers on Board for My Floor Warranty Program / None as of yet (but no fault except my own)
#5- Complete 90% of Weekly Development Meetings / 25% complete
#6-Tech to at least one IICRC class / Didn't Happen (But I attended SFS)
#7- Inc. Church Business by 30% / Hit 15% increase on this
#8- Get 1/2 of my SFS Goals completed / Got to research this / maybe 25%
#9- To go on couple fishing trips with my son, & a couple camping trips / No to fishing, yes to trail-riding (even more fun) no camp outs this year
did attend a HUGE cup scout bonfire and box car derby race & more

I think I sucked for the year on most of my business goals, however on the family side of things I did ok. 2013 has to bring price increases for residential starting in March, I went up on the restaurants that I thought I could and didn't lose any. 2012 was a banner Jan & Feb for mild winter season so that's why I am disappointed in the overall outcome. Will work on 2013 goals next week, but #1 will be to have a tech solo-ed.
CONGRATULATIONS, Billy! Did you make all of your (admittedly ambitious) goals? NOPE. But at least you tracked them and know where you are. That puts you ahead of 98% of the cleaners out there!

And congratulations on including and working on #9. Life should be about more than financial and business success. Let's go for four camping trips in 2013!

Steve

PS Billy, one huge help on employee training for 2013 is we are releasing a series of online Value Added Service training videos to SFS members. I'm shooting them now and will keep you posted.

Reactions: BLewis

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Good report Billy!! I'm up for the year too. I don't do much commercial and some of what I have has is slipping away because of the recession. It seems that maintenance is one of the first thing that gets cut to save money. My residential is up though. In recessions people want to hang on and take care of what they have instead of replacement. Cleaning is very competitive here too many cleaners per the population. I strive hard to differentiate from the pack.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Great point Scott, concerning presidential election years I found in the restaurant business that this was always a very soft fall leading up to election and usually afterwards approx 50% of voters would either be pleased or not but things would usually settle down soon thereafter. I hadn't really noticed this (cuz I've been gone from restaurant business now for 5-6 years) but looking back at monthly results your point is right on.
Jan +77.7% Feb +36.6% March +49.8% April +58.3% (all attributed to a mild winter) May +40.2% June +17.1% July <31.6%> (up against the 81k sf job previous year) Aug +19.6% (up against the V being down 10 days previous year) Sept +25.% Oct<1.9%> Nov +3.8% Dec +8.2% (last quater could be attributed to election and also last couple months due to falling off the face of the earth on goole places)

I am used to reporting quarterly from being a dist mgr over 7-10 restaurants, so I put this out there to gain insight from what others are accomplishing and look for ways to improve both the business and more so my attitude toward that approach. 5 years ago I set out to reach 10k in sales from restaurant business monthly and somewhere about middle of summer I reached that goal and have been able to maintain it. I have a major brain storm (for me that's not alot) for the direction I want to head in for the next 2-3 years. I have set up some meetings with a new marketing person to help me head in that direction and when I have it ready to roll out I will share it with you guys.

I'm also like Frasier I have reached my phsical ability to take on more work myself, so either expand with tech soloing or raise prices and be happy being a owner/operator with assistance.

I have taken on a restaurant company in the past 6 months that are paying really good money for my services and there are more in the market but I have not persued it simply because I can't handle any more currently.

Last edited:

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Ok Pigs Ass tell us about your great year! And I still have no heat!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Up 12k but its not saying much considering how bad last year was for me.
If I could get another 12k this year I'd be feeling better about this little endeavor.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
5 years ago I set out to reach 10k in sales from restaurant business monthly and somewhere about middle of summer I reached that goal and have been able to maintain it.

Holy crap! That's awesome... You clean all that by yourself?

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
I was at every restaurant job everynight Sun-Thur for the past 5 years! I do use another tech, there's no way I could do this my myself. I do have 6-8 small accounts that I can knock out out solo if need be, but I usually work the smaller ones in with bigger ones.

Pork Chop I thought you were being sarcastic as usual

dealtimeman

Everyday is Saturday.
Name
Michael
We went just about even but I feel we did a lot less actual physical work. About a 3 % increase in totat gross but net was about 12% higher due to lower labor and lower overall operating cost - more restoration.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom