how do I toot my own horn, with out sounding pompous?

Mikey P

Administrator
We did the free cleaning for the SPCA last week and want to put something on my blog about it

Whats the saying about not talking about charitable acts or donations...?

need some suggesting on how to go about it politically correct..

20130213_100214_zpsdc25b3ad.jpg

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Those pants are just Horrid Bossman :dejection:

and it looks like ya pissed yurself :eekk:

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Chris I looked at the picture, agreed with Mardie about the potential grab but NOT once did I check out the boss man's pants.

WHUTT are you doing lookin there? :eekk:

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Chris I looked at the picture, agreed with Mardie about the potential grab but NOT once did I check out the boss man's pants.

WHUTT are you doing lookin there? :eekk:

Not that far from the tata's fellas !

Plus being an Apprentice in the Industry, I tend to observe and absorb ALOT!!! (horseplay included)

Here is a step into my mind Doc;
First thought was surely those aren't stained, second was H20 due to his Gorilla Sized Figure, after that it was FB or sumthing ;)

Chris

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
Contact the Human Interest Editor for your newspaper and put a Press Release together outlining what you did for them, what they do for abused, abandoned animals. Explain how you are a big softie pet lover at heart and have 6 dogs, 4 cats, 30 chinchillas, (or whatever) and if you have adopted from there before that would prove you practice what you preach. Add some of their statistics as well so it helps raise awareness to their service and not just a "look at me, I walk on waterr". Get them to give you a glowing testimonial too!!!

Maybe you could include a offer a limited time only special of free protector for 2 rooms for a donations of cat/dog food, scat box litter, old sheets or blankets for kennels, treats or whatever. Then you could do another press release/blog thanking all the individuals by name that donated items during your "Raising Awareness" Campaign.

Maybe you can mention it in your blog and link the press release to it. Might get you more pet stain/odor removal work?

I don't know what I'm talking about any more..I'm just rambling, but maybe there are a couple ideas you can run with...?

Keep us broke dicks updated on what you put together because I've thought about doing something like this myself but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Last edited:

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I like Bill's idea. Are donating goodie bags for every adoption ? If so maybe a gift cert(or postcard). I have this silly idea where I have a dog frowning like its been scolded/shameful(had an accident). Text something like "Sorry I made a mess, but let my animal lover buddy ______(Mike) help you out! Thank you for supporting the SPCA...ect ect.

BLewis

Supportive Member
Name
Billy Lewis
Garden hose hook up nailed me..
That's exactly why we wear black pants in the winter and black shorts April-November, don't show mishaps near as bad. Same reason I wear black shoes although they burn my feet up in the summer, and that is why I wear clogs in the summer

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
You really need to let it go on it's own merits. To try to cash in on your generosity is not going to play out well any way you do it.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
Contact the Human Interest Editor for your newspaper and put a Press Release together outlining what you did for them, what they do for abused, abandoned animals. Explain how you are a big softie pet lover at heart and have 6 dogs, 4 cats, 30 chinchillas, (or whatever) and if you have adopted from there before that would prove you practice what you preach. Add some of their statistics as well so it helps raise awareness to their service and not just a "look at me, I walk on waterr". Get them to give you a glowing testimonial too!!!

Maybe you could include a offer a limited time only special of free protector for 2 rooms for a donations of cat/dog food, scat box litter, old sheets or blankets for kennels, treats or whatever. Then you could do another press release/blog thanking all the individuals by name that donated items during your "Raising Awareness" Campaign.

Maybe you can mention it in your blog and link the press release to it. Might get you more pet stain/odor removal work?

I don't know what I'm talking about any more..I'm just rambling, but maybe there are a couple ideas you can run with...?

Keep us broke dicks updated on what you put together because I've thought about doing something like this myself but I just haven't pulled the trigger.

Good idea right there!

amygeorge

Supportive Member
Name
Amy Lorance
Is there a place to display any marketing materials on their counter? I think a flyer promoting the urine \ deodorization process would be good. If this was a one time deal, I wouldn’t ask them to do anything other than thank you on your website and ask for referrals.

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I think a simple mention by them on their facebook/twitter pages would go a long way for that type of organization.

Maybe they would allow you to post some helpful tips on the facebook page.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Reminds me of around Christamas and shopping at a grocery store frequented by older people.

I was looking at the steaks and a little old lady was trying to find the cheapest package of burger meat.

I checked out before she did as she was right behind me.

I waited around just a few more min. so she could check out.

As we both headed to the exit door I took out a nice steak and put it in her grocery bag.

I told her Merry Christmas.............she smiled and hugged me.

I felt like I should do more for her but older people have this pride thing and I respected her.

I look for her now everytime I go to that store.

Now I could have went out and called all of my friends and neighbors and told them what I did but that would defeat the purpose.

And the moral of this story is?

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
You could talk about it in your newsletter in terms of thanking your clients for their support and patronage. You could talk about how this is a passion for you and your company. I'd end it by circling back to thanking folks for their support of you and your company. You can do well by doing good - nothing wrong or immoral with that.

Reactions: Bill Morgan

hogjowl

Idiot™
I understand the marketing benefits of self promotion, even in relation to "charity" work, but like jImMY, I have a hard time doing it. Yesterday, I cleaned for free the carpets in our local crisis pregnancy center. As I was rolling up my hoses and preparing to leave, Mikey came to mind and I thought I should probably go back inside and allow them to thank me for what I had done for them and maybe place a few business cards on their counter. If I had done that, most savy business people would have thought nothing of it, but I simply shut my doors and drove away.

If they are grateful, they already know it without me having to remind them.

Reactions: truckmount girl

Bill Morgan

Name
Captain Morgan
You could talk about it in your newsletter in terms of thanking your clients for their support and patronage. You could talk about how this is a passion for you and your company. I'd end it by circling back to thanking folks for their support of you and your company. You can do well by doing good - nothing wrong or immoral with that.

Jeff summed it up pretty well for me. I got carried away with a little too much self promotion rather than raising awareness of the humanitarian efforts of the ASPCA. It's a fine line and a little blurry too. Someone else mentioned if they could mention you on their website or facebook page would be the best promo not initiated by yourself and thus not smell of obvious "tooting your own horn" syndrome.
Thanks Jeff Madsen!

Bill

Mardie

Name
Mardie VanBree
I understand the marketing benefits of self promotion, even in relation to "charity" work, but like jImMY, I have a hard time doing it. Yesterday, I cleaned for free the carpets in our local crisis pregnancy center. As I was rolling up my hoses and preparing to leave, Mikey came to mind and I thought I should probably go back inside and allow them to thank me for what I had done for them and maybe place a few business cards on their counter. If I had done that, most savy business people would have thought nothing of it, but I simply shut my doors and drove away.

If they are grateful, they already know it without me having to remind them.

Leaving like that without looking for brownie point is a class act and will go a lot farther in the end.They know what you did and you sure a heck dont have to stick it in their face.
Anything no matter what, you ask for when doing work like this just degrades it and the recipients will see you as a player and not charitable donator.

Mikey P

Administrator
fyi, I've not mentioned it to anyone.

I did stop buy today while I was at the mall business fair/leTip booth.

I was pleased with how the carpet came out, heartbroken by the dogs that were still there three weeks since I first looked at the job and just smiled at all the employees who thanked me for the donation.

beagleboy

Fancy SPCA down there. How many square feet is that baby and who are they leasing it from a what cost ?

Mikey P

Administrator
That is a store in the mall here.
They are only open three days a week.

Animals are not kept there full time.

The mall lets them have it at no charge as well.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i must be weird. w/e way i could use it to my company's advantage i would. i do a decent share of "charity" work that i do not mention in my biz or online. but that right there i def would mention without shame. you did something good, who are we to say you shouldn't mention it on your site or in advertising. i'd rather do biz with a company that is charitable than one who isn't.

Reactions: Jeff Madsen
Back
Top Bottom