How do you handle Too Busy

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I am too busy. I have guys out 45-60 hrs a week and I am out 6-7 days a week. We have property managers, schools, and businesses plus our residential and everyone wants it now or within a week. We have a hard time with a week now because the huge jobs take so much man power. Without adding a 4th van how do you schedule that makes everything easier, extend the day? Certain area certain day? something anything

Name
Lee Stockwell
Sounds like last week here with the university turns. Start earlier, work later, work smarter.

Fortunately our guys are the best. Thank you Jonathan, Jason, Justin, and your wives for making it go smoothly.

Time for your 4th truck Greg. Our 4th is still "backup" but ole' Murphy's Law put it to work anyway. Jason did one of his 3 hr switcheroos moving one of the 405s into the extra diesel van by the next morning.

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
You know what I would do....Of course.

But for the rest of the people reading this thread....

If you're going to lose a job because of scheduling....sub it out to a local company you trust.....If there isn't one? Chances are the customer will wait.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
we won't be doing that brian. I am stuck because I know payroll and benefits will kill me but we do need some help and it gets busier in Sept

Bob Foster

Seems your choice is to put them off and then you may loose them to a competitor, besides disappointing them that you couldn't do it when they needed you.

Why not go a town over and recruit some newer company that is just starting out that you could trust and sub it to him. Being out of your trading area he likely won't come back and steal your customer.

Surely you have a B list of job types or clients.

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
I am with Ron. Raise your prices and tell them that if they wait until it slows down again they can have the old prices.

There is of course the scheduling and routing of jobs that could free up a ton of time. For a small fee I will come to your place and see where I can make improvements.

F

FB7777

Take Ken up on his offer...

Better yet, have brokum come out to your place. Both will have you down to 1 POS van in no time

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Just say fook it and add another truck.

You won't regret it and if it turned out you slowed down and didn't need it, sell it off.
Ton's of good used TM's out there.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
James J. Braddock said:
Just say fook it and add another truck.

You won't regret it and if it turned out you slowed down and didn't need it, sell it off.
Ton's of good used TM's out there.

Yep that is what I would suggest too. Payroll and Benefits are a good thing if yo are producing the revenue stream. If you can add another 800-1000 a day and your incremental costs are 300-400 a day you just made a nice increase in profit. The key is determining whether the level is sustainable or a blip and only you will know that. If it is not sustainable then extend hours, and put everyone on 6-7 days to get caught up. I would not raise prices at this time with your model.

Ken

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We just finished 6-weeks at "break neck speed" but now this week is back to normal and next week at this point looks slow. :shock: Carpet cleaning, commercial carpet cleaning, air ducts, bio clean up, fire, water & sewage.

It was just nutz, the shop is destroyed, I hate walking around until it gets cleaned up. While I know this is when we really make money it will be nice to be able to restore order to the place.

A spare truck really can't hurt you much, plus your father in-law loves seeing new trucks. If it ends up sitting too much, start pushing out to the next closest town.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
should I start dabbling in restoration? I want to keep the company straight forward carpet cleaning but the concern is it will dry up at some point. A fourth truck to me is crazy and getting out of hand. I am actually building a tall garage at the house to keep a van in so i don't have to go in everyday.

I was thinking scheduling and support services were more important

LisaWagnerCRS

Name
Lisa Wagner
Ron Werner said:
raise your price
those that you keep will make up for those you lose
You can still sub them out, or just be generous and give them to another cleaner you respect

Exactly.

Lisa

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
should I start dabbling in restoration?
Well...Yea, average carpet ticket $300.00, average water loss $3,000.00.

Carpet cleaning is labor intensive work, WDR majority of billing is equipment rental.
Training available without leaving your shop, check out Reets TV. Borrow a 20-bill from your father in-law and gear up. You have the client base, it's happening now, you just keep passing them off as referrals. DO IT!

You can pay me $200,000.00 as a consultant and I'll fly in and tell you everything you need.... or you can just ask here and I'll do it for free. I hate flying! shiteatinggrin

Seriously you could have Hooty come out and get you all setup. He has everything, software, paperwork, ties to equipment. He knows the drill, he has helped others before. :mrgreen:

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Renting high visibilty office in town with shared services with a company I know very well. The girl was excellent and wanted to go from her current 20 hrs a week with rockwood architecture to 40 hrs. Me and the owner of the other business agreed to pay her for 40 and just share her for the whole time. 2 office suite with great signage area. This will give us a second location and one with high visibilty. The shop isn't that visible.
Going to drop the rug pick up and cleaning service too much agravation for right now. Next is to set out sites on some restoration work. Our only issue is staffing off hours. With my home situation I can not be on call 24/7

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Here is what you do,

Supervisor "On Call"- You until you can bring your lead tech's up to speed.

Weekly you rotate two guys, your "On Call Team".

They cannot go out and tie one on that week, they must respond with 10-minutes of your call to them and be able to show up with in 30-minutes to get the truck and on site within and hour of the call.

You pay them $10.00 each a day for being on call.

If they get a call during that week they receive a bonus for coming in after hours. $30.00 Lead, $20.00 for the assistant, plus over time till midnight then double time till 6:00 Am.

Next week second set of guys take over.

* The guys can cover for each other as long as you know who is covering for whom. That way if someone has a date or a birthday party they still can go and you still have coverage.

Like this:
On Call...............................Lead Assistant

August 19-25..........................Nick - Jason

August 26-Sept 1.....................Terry - Aaron

Sept 2-8th................................Matt - Steve

Sept 9th-15th............................John - Gabe

We have an answering service after hours that screen calls so only the answering service calls you when it's an actual WDR loss. Once your leads get experince you eventually move yourself out of the On Call team so they answer the calls from the service. When they can do that they deserve a pay increase or something for taking the additional responsibilty.

As an oversight, we have the answering service email us with the calls just so nothing gets missed or done on the side.

Easy cheezy!

NO Thanks Needed, I'll send you my bill! :p

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Plan in place for that. My Mother inlaw is actually moving into my house when I go and I have staff lined up. That is one of the reasons for allocating phones and billing.

Ponyboy my Father inlaw did "loan" me the money for the last two van set ups. He wasn't cashing the checks so I give him cash every month and he is pissed but close to zero percent who could turn it down.

We just bought wifey a new lexus SUV and I was going to give up the beemer but Big Daddy laid out the green for her too. Can't say enough about my Father inlaw. I am the only 41 or 42 yr old man with an allowance.

I do have to say I owe the growth of my company to my wife, Father inlaw and Mikeysboard

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
XTREME1 said:
Plan in place for that. My Mother inlaw is actually moving into my house when I go and I have staff lined up. That is one of the reasons for allocating phones and billing.

Ponyboy my Father inlaw did "loan" me the money for the last two van set ups. He wasn't cashing the checks so I give him cash every month and he is pissed but close to zero percent who could turn it down.

We just bought wifey a new lexus SUV and I was going to give up the beemer but Big Daddy laid out the green for her too. Can't say enough about my Father inlaw. I am the only 41 or 42 yr old man with an allowance.

I do have to say I owe the growth of my company to my wife, Father inlaw and Mikeysboard

You've got a kickass father in law Greg, but he's lucky you're not a slug. The money he's loaning you is actually being used judiciously for business expansion and you have some good ideas. It's working out for both of you.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
it is an interesting dynamic. He is a business professor and a fulbright scholar but he is very interested in how business really works. He hates debt load but I point out percentages but he thinks if it is zero it is better so he buys stuff.
When my sister inlaw got married I eyed the guy up and down and besides being a religious freak he is a great guy. One of the best. My mother inlaw said when I was checking him out, Greg don't worry we have enough for everyone

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom