How do you know…

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
…if you can get it clean? I know Scott bases his assessment off of years of field knowledge. I got a call from our new tech this morning, who has been doing well on his own for a week with no callbacks. He said nothing he was doing was pleasing his customer. She kept telling him it was still dirty after he’d cleaned it three times. He told me he thought it was wear, but she kept insisting it was dirt. I told him to pack up and come back to the shop and tell the client I was on my way out to assess the situation.

I’ve been doing this long enough that I can tell what’s wear and what isn’t and I know how to both explain that to the customer and soothe them until we have a solution. I can also tell a shoddy tech’s work (which is what I was looking for and hoping I wouldn’t find).

I get there and it’s old blue carpet that’s brown in the traffic lanes. The tech’s before picture shows it was a lot worse, but he said the brown turned bluer. By the time I got there it was brown again. The client told me she used her home scrubber and it came out better than today’s job and the tech must not have cleaned those rooms. I felt the carpet, just barely damp, so it got cleaned, dry strokes on par. It didn’t look crushed down, it didn’t feel like it had any residue on the fibers, it just looked stained. There are some spots that look darker that I think are coffee or something else and may come out, but the brown I think is damage.

Scott’s going out to look at it later, just was wondering what you guys thought. I tried to set her expectations by explaining wear (which she refused to hear a word out of my mouth. She kept repeating “it’s dirt, it’s dirt, it wasn’t like this when we bought the house, it’s dirt”) and by reminding her that Scott has sixteen years of experience behind him and he will try a couple things but not everything can be saved.

C418AE01-B8D0-4D82-8A1E-BB5F6A8B20B3.jpeg FF36E7DC-330B-48B1-891A-E5D20E6BCEF8.jpeg 4A6EA972-EFC6-44D9-9F59-1099C6FC3316.jpeg

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
He said nothing he was doing was pleasing his customer. She kept telling him it was still dirty after he’d cleaned it three times.

after the first time he should of grabbed the rotary and mechanically scrubbed, then flush/rinse extract.

then he'd "know" know he did all he can.
If she still wasn't happy, refund her money and tell her to piss-off

this contingent on using top performing pre-sprays in sufficient quanity and not pi55water juice like Procyon and other weak juices

..L.T.A.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
it looks like dirt, some of it will be wear

old school nylon like that generally clean up well

small spray bottle of good encap juice and microfibre cloth is what I use to give an indication of expected results

Reactions: Shane T

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
That's some really old carpet. I believe we had the same exact one in our home back in the late 80"s. Sometimes trying to do a deep clean can be a mistake.

Mikey P

Administrator
regardless of you southern boys white trash hillbilly realities, I'd hit that carpet with Silver Solution and AFR and teach the new hire how to exude confidence in his abilities.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
When you get time, check the hydroforce to see if it's spraying correctly. It might've crapped on your tech and just sprayed out plain water. It's happened to me a couple times

Reactions: Dolly Llama

steve_64

Blue carpetalways turns brown when dirty.
Looks like asphalt tracking to me. Or dirty garage floor.
I've also seen it from dirty kitchen floors and the oils splattered from cooking.
Baby oil or other products from the bath and shower too.

Use an acid to clean it.

steve_64

Vinegar and a bonnet will brighten it up easily.

And keep from resoiling too fast that you don't get blamed for not doing it right I again in a few days as they track it all back in again.

• Dislike
Reactions: The Boot

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Seriously, though, how do you know what you can save? Do you guys have example pics you can post for me that show something you knew you could save vs something you knew you couldn’t and how you came to that determination?

I inspected a commercial property last week that definitely needs a demo spot done before we know whether it can be cleaned or needs to be replaced, but with commercial I feel like it’s much more obvious. As helpful as you guys have been to me lately, I can’t post pics here every time I have a question. I need to fast-track the learning.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom