How do you know…

Numero Uno

Name
Caesar
Do plumbers an electricians explain...
It's a worn out nasty.
That is beyond extra effort...
Carpet Cleaners need to man up in there careers...
Service is one thing,stupid is another...
That's a jute back,I bet ya...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Seriously, though, how do you know what you can save?

having seen an over abundance of trashed student rentals and chit pits the first 10-12 years, coupled with rocket surgeon gEEkitus as well as regular side by side evals of juices....

I'll say there's not always a way to tell til the wand or scrubber hits the floor

I've seen some I was sure were lost, but restored wonderfully, and some I thought I would be a piece of cake that wouldn't respond to dynamite

Having said that, what helped me most was making time to do all the side by side evals of different juices on the crappiest chit pits.

I didn't have to take anyone's word for what juice de jour was the "greatest evah"

I "knew" what the heaviest hitters were.
and would hammer the chit out of 'em with it and crank the burner to "hiss 'n spit" temps (250+)

..L.T.A.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
Seriously, though, how do you know what you can save? Do you guys have example pics you can post for me that show something you knew you could save vs something you knew you couldn’t and how you came to that determination?

I inspected a commercial property last week that definitely needs a demo spot done before we know whether it can be cleaned or needs to be replaced, but with commercial I feel like it’s much more obvious. As helpful as you guys have been to me lately, I can’t post pics here every time I have a question. I need to fast-track the learning.
Wear is obviously going to be in the traffic lanes, but it's going to be more pronounced on the pivot points of those traffic lanes.
That's where you will see crushed and distorted fibres that won't look right after cleaning.

Your pics had uneven discolouration in traffic lanes, but not shadowing or excessively crushed fibres on pivot points.

trashed
20201125_124252.jpg

pivot points have shadowing that won't clean out
20201125_132723.jpg

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Wear is obviously going to be in the traffic lanes, but it's going to be more pronounced on the pivot points of those traffic lanes.
That's where you will see crushed and distorted fibres that won't look right after cleaning.

Your pics had uneven discolouration in traffic lanes, but not shadowing or excessively crushed fibres on pivot points.

trashed
View attachment 109932

pivot points have shadowing that won't clean out
View attachment 109933
Thank you. This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I still think it might be a bad Dema on that hydroforce. Those carpets are so easy to clean.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
I still think it might be a bad Dema on that hydroforce.

I got your back, Woody.
It's a legit thought

In particular for a new guy that may not notice the lack of draw .
(Or aware they don't draw above 200 sol temps)

and too, powders in HF don't always get mixed so well .
even worse if there's a metering tip in it

they're tremendously convenient for a one man crew.
but not so reliably consistent

..L.T.A.

steve_64

Matt's comments made me remember a rookie mistake.
The power of the wand made me over confident about sucking up debris. Bobby pins plug wands up pretty easily.

Hack Attack

Name
Dan
I got your back, Woody.
It's a legit thought

In particular for a new guy that may not notice the lack of draw .
(Or aware they don't draw above 200 sol temps)

and too, powders in HF don't always get mixed so well .
even worse if there's a metering tip in it

they're tremendously convenient for a one man crew.
but not so reliably consistent

..L.T.A.
I tend to grab my pump up before my HF

If I had staff on carpets they wouldn't have a HF

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
That carpet is so old, maybe it has Jute backing and thats the problem.
Ive learned that when a customers wants a redo- just DO IT. It does no good to explain your side because its only heard as Excuses.
Even if there is no improvement, the customer appreciate the effort.
If there is an improvement, I thank the customer for challenging me to be better.

Reactions: darcie smith

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
That carpet is so old, maybe it has Jute backing and thats the problem.
Ive learned that when a customers wants a redo- just DO IT. It does no good to explain your side because its only heard as Excuses.
Even if there is no improvement, the customer appreciate the effort.
If there is an improvement, I thank the customer for challenging me to be better.
Exactly, that’s a lesson my tech hasn’t taken in yet

Reactions: Mikey P

Papa John

Lifetime Supportive Member
Name
John Stewart
Exactly, that’s a lesson my tech hasn’t taken in yet
It would be helpful and proactive if he also did a post walk through inspection with the customer; showing all the remaining spots that didnt responded all well as he would have liked.
When I do this, I also point to my spotting kit and inform them of the varies agents a may have used in my attempts.

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
I'm gonna be ignant on this. I still thing there's something wrong with the prespray the tech was using.

There's no way using a different rinse could make that much of a difference.

Will you report back to us on the condition of his HF or like Larry said, if there's an undissolved lump of powder at the bottom of the container Please? Thanks

Reactions: Darkror

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
I'm gonna be ignant on this. I still thing there's something wrong with the prespray the tech was using.

There's no way using a different rinse could make that much of a difference.

Will you report back to us on the condition of his HF or like Larry said, if there's an undissolved lump of powder at the bottom of the container Please? Thanks
It happened Tuesday morning, Matt. The equipment has been used for four other jobs since then, and those four jobs all turned out fine. It’s not that I don’t want to check, it’s just not possible at this point.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
The point of this thread also wasn’t to determine what the tech did wrong. That’s Scott’s job. My job is to manage expectations for a client when things don’t go the way they should. It’s entirely possible that I shouldn’t have gone out there at all, but the lady was emotional and my tech was shook up, so with 15 years of management experience, I figured I’d better go defuse the situation. I could have just said yeah I’ll send Scott out later. I went because I could talk to the client, build the relationship, assess the tech, and give Scott information. I just wish I could have told her from a more knowledgeable perspective what Scott could do to improve it.

I know I’m a different kind of poster because I don’t actually do what you guys do, so my aim was more to ask you all to share what process you use to determine if a carpet will clean up or if it’s damaged. And I may never be able to learn that without the field experience. That’s fine, was just asking.

steve_64

Going back was a great move but instead of telling her what Scott woukd do you just need to be compassionate and assure her Scott will be there shortly to take care of it. You have total confidence in Scott.

The next situation will be different now that the tech has learned this lesson. Until you get a new tech anyway.

You saved a repeat customer. Congratulations. Job well done.

darcie smith

Name
darcie smith
Going back was a great move but instead of telling her what Scott woukd do you just need to be compassionate and assure her Scott will be there shortly to take care of it. You have total confidence in Scott.

The next situation will be different now that the tech has learned this lesson. Until you get a new tech anyway.

You saved a repeat customer. Congratulations. Job well done.
Thank you

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
This is one of Scott’s after pics. He used a different rinse and it came out better in some places, still brown in others. She must have been happy though, because she paid her bill and gave him a tip.

View attachment 109937
In all reality your tech probably could have cleaned it 100% and your customer still may have had a complaint.
Your customer was use to Scott and probably expected Scott to show up for the cleaning. She wanted him.
I ran into the same situations sending out techs after years of servicing clients myself.
I also ran into reverse situations when I was off the truck but filled in for a tech that had been servicing a client.
They would open the door and get that glazed look in their eye and Say "Where is John"? He usually cleans for me. I hope you are as good.
I would just answer I hope I am as I am the one who trained John.

Reactions: darcie smith

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom