How do you pay yourself ?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
How do you O/O's pay yourself ? Take a draw, 1099 yourself, have a payroll company and pay yourself an hourly or commission(w-2) ?

And for the guys that have employees, do you still pay yourself the same way when you first started, or did you switch and why?

Chris A

Name
Chris
A combo of taking a draw/ modest salary. The salary goes through a payroll company which keeps me semi-caught up on taxes.

Derek

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
i am not the best business person in many areas. i say that as a precursor to how stupid this might sound or be lol.

we get the client's check in the mail, it goes into our checking account, we write checks to pay for stuff.

what other ways are there?

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
Chris Adkins said:
A combo of taking a draw/ modest salary. The salary goes through a payroll company which keeps me semi-caught up on taxes.

Do you guys do the same with Steph, and consider her an employee of the company, or do you both do the same ?

Name
Bruce
At the end of every week I take a draw , cutting a check to my self then it gets deposited into my personal account.

You can do it like Derek , at the end of the month when doing your books everything that was personal still gets logged as a draw.

My accountant advised us to only write one check to ME and not my wife , says it would work much better to our advantage when tax time.

bensurdi

Name
Benjamin Surdi
I know that I am going to be doing it differently than I did for 2011! I have to write a check for 34K to the IRS that I really would to have loved prorating over the course of a year... but I guess thats the learning experience!

Chris A

Name
Chris
Hoody said:
Chris Adkins said:

Do you guys do the same with Steph, and consider her an employee of the company, or do you both do the same ?

She's going on payroll jan 1, up til now its just been my tech and I drawing checks. We do some stuff as a corp. for taxes that our cpa says saves us money but that's out of my area of expertise.

Jim Martin

Supportive Member
Name
Jim Martin
Tia writes me a check.......and she has a rubber stamp with my signature..stamps my signature on the check and then god knows what she does with it......I probably don't want to know.....

Mike Draper

I'm going to get another accountant. I've got money pouring out of my pants pockets. My quarterly check to the IRS is usually about $13,750.00. hey Marty, blow me. I might build a few more trucks for my fleet this winter just to delay the taxes burden.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
In the early years I took a draw. Paid taxes to IRS quarterly.

Later we became an S Corp. Then got a salary paid twice per month as did all our employees. Profit at the end of the year was taxed differently than payroll. Still had to pay income tax but no FICA/ Soc. Sec/ Medicare taxes on the corporate profit.

S

sam miller

scottw said:
In the early years I took a draw. Paid taxes to IRS quarterly.

Later we became an S Corp. Then got a salary paid twice per month as did all our employees. Profit at the end of the year was taxed differently than payroll. Still had to pay income tax but no FICA/ Soc. Sec/ Medicare taxes on the corporate profit.

Went to that 2 years ago saved a bunch! S corp baby!

davegillfishing

Supportive Member
Name
dave gill
S corp here too. Pay myself every 2weeks and. Acct has my est tax burden figured out so I just pay it with the eftps thing weekly with employee taxes. Makes it lots e asker than cracking that nut quarterly. Wife handles that side of business with accountant and I hate the every 6 month meeting to go over things.

Back
Top Bottom