How far will you travel for service?

Connor

Name
Connor
How far will you travel to a customer? Is there a mileage or time limit for traveling?

Chris A

Name
Chris
50 mile radius, but the minimum charge gets higher based on how far out they are, and how busy we are...

Mikey P

Administrator
I have some homes that are a hour and a half away but they pay real well.

I have that big ass rug we do up in San Francisco every year for $3000.

but 95% of my work is minutes from my home

Chris A

Name
Chris
Mikey P said:
I have some homes that are a hour and a half away but they pay real well.

I have that big ass rug we do up in San Francisco every year for $3000.

but 95% of my work is minutes from my home

Is that the one you re-latexed and what not? If so, hows it holding up?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I'll go 45 miles with $1.50 per mile and $250 minimum. Usually they end up @ $450 or better.

Less than that usually not worth the drive.

If we have ice and snow, below zero. I usually just stay in town.

Connor

Name
Connor
Royal Man said:
I'll go 45 miles with $1.50 per mile and $250 minimum. Usually they end up @ $450 or better.

Less than that usually not worth the drive.

If we have ice and snow, below zero. I usually just stay in town.

Is that $1.50 per mile after the first 45 miles?

Shorty

RIP
Name
Shorty Glanville
Really, how long is a piece of string. ??

What type of work do you consider as "work". ??

Normally, most of my work is within a ten kilometer radius, (bloody hell, less than six miles).

HOWEVER, this is purely for carpet and upholstery cleaning.

When I was heavily into water damage restoration, I have been asked, (and done), a wdr 684 klm away, that's about 425 miles.

This was a motel with ten rooms under sewage contamination.

Really, it was a piece of cake.

My off-sider and I made more money from the travel costs than we did for actual time on the job.

Anything outside my "normal" area incurs a surcharge on top of the norm;

By the same token, if the payee is willing to pay for my time & travel, plus any other necessary expenses, I'm happy to travel.

This also includes accommodation and meals, within reason.

Point in case, I recently cleaned some leather that was about a hundred miles south of me, this was posted in an earlier post regarding leather.

If a client has the money, and there is not a reputable cleaner in their area, why not do the work and reap the benefits. ??

One thing to remember, we are all business people, we are in this industry to make money, this does not mean ripping people off, but providing a service that no-one else is able to provide as good as what we can do.

No-one, apart from yourself and your accountant, knows how much it costs to run your business.

Many may claim to do the job cheaper, but do they do it as good. ??

Food for thought.

Shorty down under.

rhino1

Name
Chris Bolin
10 to 15 miles tops, and that just covers the city limits. Outside that and there is a trip fee. Had some actually claim I was discriminating against them because I wouldn't go to their area. Discriminating...really.

Name
Lee Stockwell
When I was doing mill claims work we've gone 180 miles each way several times. (Memphis)

The "job" wasn't profitable, but the long term relationship was.

Billy

Name
BH
We go where ever the $$$$s are but of course not for our normal $225.00 min though.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Any where and everywhere provided we can make it worth our while, but generally a 20-minute radius for carpet cleaning, 1-hour for Fire & water Damage work.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Lloyd Dobler said:
Any where and everywhere provided we can make it worth our while, but generally a 20-minute radius for carpet cleaning, 1-hour for Fire & water Damage work.

Took the words right out of mouth!

hogjowl

Idiot™
I do not place any geographic limitations on my work. Once, years ago, I traveled 150 miles north and spent 4 days working. A customer of mine moved up there and I did her house and a bunch more that she hooked me up with. I never wanted to do that again, but I made money at it during a time when I needed it. Another time I traveled out of state and spent another week cleaning Mormon church buildings in Georgia. THAT was a hugely profitable job. Last week, I traveled 45 minutes each way to clean a house for a friend of a friend. The guy did not place any financial restrictions on what I charged, so I was able to charge him enough to make it worth my while. Price shoppers won't pay me to go much further than just outside my city limits.

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
all over.....when i go distances ocer 35 or so miles, i make sure jobs are doubled up with my commercial clients that i have keys for

i have a couple that are 75 miles 1 way.....but i usually hit up 2-4 others that night...every 2 mths

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
I used to go up to Tahoe from Sacramento to clean for a few days. Buddy of mine would let me crash at his vacation home AND paid me to clean the carpets.

We would do about 13 houses ...Until the big fire. Ouch.

No, I didn't cause it.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
i just scheduled a job in Ann Arbor Mi, it is for a great customer and her grandmotherwill only let me do her home, I am 70 miles from the job and they req a saturday morning which is great no traffic and they are willing to pay for my time as well as job,this time of year i will go the 70 miles.even though i am busy due to no snow and 40+ weather.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom