How many feet of hose can I run??

jstucky

Name
Jordan Stucky
With Roots 45 blower.

250? Without losing any power????

Guy who sold it to me said 500. I'm skeptical of that.

Jeff Madsen

Supportive Member
Name
Jeff Madsen
You'll lose vacuum with every fifty foot section of hose you put on your machine - doesn't matter how large your blower is. With larger blowers it's less noticeable over medium to long hose runs. Anything over 200 feet of hose and you will see a drop in your vacuum. You'll be rich and famous at 100 to 150 feet.

Name
Jesse
It depends on your vacuum setting. 16 hg will pull decent at 500ft, 10hg and you'll be looking in the end of your vacuum hose like wtf

FLYERMAN

Supportive Member
Name
Ken Raddon
You may have asked How long without losing significant power? Well for me and my 4.o blower it is 200' before I even notice a drop in suction or an increase in dry times. However when I am running longer than that I am cleaning ccd and the drop in power has less impact due to the the nature of that kind of carpet.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jordan;

Jeff - You'll lose vacuum with every fifty foot section of hose you put on your machine - doesn't matter how large your blower is

There are ways to maintain vacuum @ lengths over 200/250 ft.

1. Set the blower lift as high as practical (we use 17" on the #4MR blowers)

2. you can utilize 2.5" Vac hose, but it is cumbersome.

3. You can use an electric booster (40#) to make up for the reduced lift:

http://www4.cobbcarpet.com/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=85&products_id=4823

We have customers using 400/500 ft. of 2" hose with the booster.

Larry

Mikey P

Administrator
if I needed a booster (god forbid) I would buy one of THESE units.

The owner is a bit of a nut job, his site is horrible, he may not sell me one due to redneck politics, but I can assure you that his boosters are tried and true and no broke dick guinea pigs were harmed in the development of his machines.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
Last night I ran 500 feet of hose off my Butler with 45 blower. I ran 2 250 foot 2 inch lines and set the pressure around 350. 5 guys and we cranked out upholstery. I know it's not exactly what you were asking but I was a little concerned going to the job but it went well. I was running Butler at Mach II for about the first 30 minutes and turned down to Mach I and nobody noticed so thats what I ran all night. We kicked some ass last night and my old Butler proved as always that she is a 95 and still kicking ass too.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
The key to running longer hose runs is to use non foaming cleaning agents.
Foam kills vacuum.

Kleenrite's PCX powdered emulsifier is one to try.
And seek out a non foaming prespray.

hogjowl

Idiot™
I run 200 ft off my 47 frequently with very little noticable loss of vacuum. And I don't change a thing ... like adding a booster, changing to "low foaming chemicals" or doing a Duane Oxley indian prayer dance.

However, if I were using a Castex wand, I'd consider doing all three.

Reactions: Jeff Madsen

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
How much hose can you run from a given blower?

The question (and answers given so far) seems to assume that all blowers of a given size perform the same regardless of how fast they're turning, how much the inlets are choked- down and how much the exhaust restriction they encounter.

It's not that way at all.

Assuming that a 45 / 4M / 4005 is running at highest- rated RPM, there's no inlet restriction (i.e., no bushings in the blower port restricting the diameter there, etc.) and no restriction on the exhaust (i.e., silencer is sized correctly and not full of corrosion... exhaust isn't being forced through an exchanger, etc.), you can routinely run 500 feet of 2" hose and be satisfied with the performance.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
The how much hose question also depends on whether you're going uphill or downhill to the truck. 100 feet of vertical drop to the truck almost doesn't count, while the slight uphill to the truck when cleaning yachts can make a big diiference in vacuum. If you had a long stretch and the vacuum was similar to a portable, you're still better off using the truck.

You can also use a drop tank at the hose joint nearest the wand so the unit isn't pulling water the whole distance. The shell of an old portable is perfect for this use.

Reactions: Newman

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
also depends on hose size
if you run all 2" you'll be working in slow motion
run 2.5" and you'll be able to keep a good pace.
I notice a huge difference at 100-150ft of 2" over the same length of 2.5 + 50ft of 2"

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
You can also use a drop tank at the hose joint nearest the wand so the unit isn't pulling water the whole distance. The shell of an old portable is perfect for this use.

Great idea from the Great OZ! I do not think I would want to keep emptying the thing on a big job but it is an option I never thought of.

How significant would the vacuum loss be having that open chamber in line?

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I wouldn't think the vacuum loss would be significant if any. It would all be part of the same vacuum system. If anything you would gain airflow as there would be no water in the remaining vac line.
I think this is the premise behind that portable system they designed to fit over a toilet. It would fill to a certain point and then simply flush. Could have something like that for a modified auto dump, where it sits at the front door but auto dumps to the customers toilet.

The Great Oz

Name
bryan
How significant would the vacuum loss be having that open chamber in line?
Once you've built up negative pressure in the chamber and there are no air leaks there is no vacuum loss. Works using a drum, an in-line pump out, anything that lets the water drop out.

Jeremy N

Supportive Member
if I needed a booster (god forbid) I would buy one of THESE units.

The owner is a bit of a nut job, his site is horrible, he may not sell me one due to redneck politics, but I can assure you that his boosters are tried and true and no broke dick guinea pigs were harmed in the development of his machines.

Do you have to call the guy to figure out much they cost?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom