How many, if any TRUE one man shows do we have here?

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
you two crab cakes can KMA

Let's start with these..

If you are true one man show..

-How is your lower back?
-Do you have signs of carpal tunnel?

-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..."
-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running?
-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..?

-Five or 6 days a week?
-When was your last vacation and for how long?

-Are you fully content being a OO?
-Did you use to have employees or office help?
-Do you hope to?

1.Back was fused 15 years ago...."Not an injury from CCing"

2.Carpal tunnel..is more prevalent from posting on BB's

3.Recording says..."Please leave a brief message..will return your call with-in 5 minutes..!"
3.b. What ever is necessary
3.c. NO

4.What ever is necessary

5.Obviously

6.Every day is a Vacation..."Not having to answer to the MAN is relaxing."

7.WTF...."I am a 1 man show."

8.*****-pLeAsE...?

"If you are a one man show...!".... :roll:

You don't NEED all that stuff...You can do 10 to 15 jobs a week ...and you can be "PHAT"
Phone calls are NOT an ISSUE... :shock: You can't do the VOLUME any way... :idea:
"If you are this small of an operation..."You are on a 1st. name basis with your clients...they
will wait for you to call back.....!!!

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
I've been one man show since the beginning. There was a time 20 years or so ago that my teenage son would help me do some theaters once a week. I do it all including the bookkeeping and my taxes.

Mikey P said:
"If you are a one man show...!"....

You don't NEED all that stuff...You can do 10 to 15 jobs a week ...and you can be "PHAT"
Phone calls are NOT an ISSUE... You can't do the VOLUME any way...
"If you are this small of an operation..."You are on a 1st. name basis with your clients...they
will wait for you to call back.....!!!
That's the way I see it except I'm not "PHAT"

Doug D

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Dimick
Mikey P said:

Let's start with these..

-How is your lower back? Lower back is fine, mid-back is what gets me.
-Do you have signs of carpal tunnel? no
-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..." I usually push the ignore button and let it go to voicemail.
-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running? Clients usually leave me alone to work. Most of the time, clients are not at home in this area. If they are I take the time after to talk to the client
-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..? Yes. Have a calendar book to book appointments. Usually doesn't take that long to book appointments

-Five or 6 days a week? Most of the time 5. Very few 6 days a week.
-When was your last vacation and for how long? Was in July 5 days in Vegas. Prior to that Denver summer before for 4 days over 4th of July weekend. Usually try to plan around 3 day weekends.

-Are you fully content being a OO? No-Did you use to have employees or office help? Had 1 lady help in cleaning a lawyers office 2 times per week. now I do it alone.
-Do you hope to? Yes, would like to someday, can't afford to now though. Credit card debt is why plus going into the slow time of the year. Winters here in SD can be brutal!!

Able 1

Name
Keith
Mikey P said:
You answer the phones, you run the suck mop, you implement the marketing and you keep the books

The wife might only take the checks to the bank other than that, it's all you baby.

I do most everything I do have a CPA for the end of the year.. I also work on my TM and don't take it in much..

But things are changing here.

-How is your lower back?Shitty, but I think I have more of a hip issue (going to have the "Arod" surgery)
-Do you have signs of carpal tunnel? Had surgery on one so far...

-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..." Let it go to message, my customers understand if they don't leave a message I'll call back right away..
-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running? I don't..
-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..? I like the At-A-Glance schedule book and I have it all the time

-Five or 6 days a week? I use to run 7 days a week but now I hardly ever work weekends.
-When was your last vacation and for how long? July 5 days

-Are you fully content being a OO? NO
-Did you use to have employees or office help? No, but I'm hiring a guy Thursday..
-Do you hope to?
F hope! I WILL.. LOL

lust1kiddo

Supportive Member
I am one man..only take someone like my son with me when I have a commercial job.

Lower back is good...Bikram yoga..and Gym...and regular dosages of Poon Tang

If I am in the home i let the phone ring out..
I dont have a truck mount so my truck is never running..
6 days a week i am doing some kind of work.
I would love to have at least one guy out there cleaning while I stay on top of new bookings..
I am sure I am losing a few bucks in the shuffle..

But I defintely need help with all the accounting shit and stuff..I'm in shambles. But just signed up for service monster for help.

Marc Imbesi

Mikey P said:

Let's start with these..

I've been a true one-man show selling, installing and cleaning since 2001 when I dissolved my partnership.

-How is your lower back?

I need to see a chiropractor routinely when I'm working steady.

I was diagnosed with carpal tunnel in the late 90's, before I started cleaning. Aleve and a hand brace overnight when it flairs up.

-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..."

Phone is on vibrate as to not disturb the household any further. It goes to VM.

-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running?

I can talk all day to Mrs. Piff while Orbot is running. :-)

-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..?

Paper is inside briefcase.

-Five or 6 days a week?

I schedule Tues-Thursday first, then Monday, then Friday. Saturday is by request only.

October 2008 for 11 days.

Yes. I have a hard time accepting lower quality of service from employees b/c my name is on every job.

When I was installing, my partner and I had 6 other employees and 3 trucks. 2 installing and 1 cleaning. I was the office help, and my partner felt office work was for after all the labor was done for the day (while he was eating dinner and kicking his kids around. I never had any kids.).

-Do you hope to?

I don't know. I haven't been to a SFS class yet...

Mikey P

Administrator
Second round of questions

- Does she play dot to dot with your liver spots and try to find Brittney's or Hanna's face in the constellation on your back?

-Have you taught her how to floss around her braces yes?

-What are the intervals you go between the Golf Channel and the Disney Channel on your remote?

-Does she have pet names for or ever performed a puppet show with your skin tags?

-Just how far down the block do you have to park from her house on date night?

-Does she think your AARP magazines are about furry aliens that live in the basement?

-Did you convince here that it really is good for her digestion and complexion?

John Buxton

I'm a one man show. Have other O/O's that will help if the need arises. I had a school flood once and had 4 O/O's show up before the news team could get there.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
Mikey P said:

-How is your lower back?It's been bad with a herniated disk and I had to learn to deal with it. Would sometimes spasm up for days or weeks. It's been good for a few years now.
-Do you have signs of carpal tunnel? No

-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..."I try not to be rude, but sometimes I will finish to conversation quickly and answer the phone.
-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running? Very little chit-chat.
-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..?I have a pocket calendar and a cell phone.

-Five or 6 days a week?6
-When was your last vacation and for how long? Bought a beach condo so we could take frequent 3 day vacations.

-Are you fully content being a OO?I love it.
-Did you use to have employees or office help?I had a helper for ten years when I used portables, didn't need him any more when I got the TMHad a gal answer my phones and book my jobs for 20 years. She was replacwed by my cell phone.
-Do you hope to?
no

AJR

Supportive Member
Name
Whatshisbutt
I know I am kind of new here but I really enjoy the board. Actually its kind of addicting lol.
Actually I have always been a one man show. I started cleaning carpet about 22 years ago. I did so at first for about 5 years and got out of it when the 4.99 a room deals started coming out in the late 70’s, I hated that bait and switch crap. The only thing I hated more was explaining the scam to idiots over the phone when they thought I was insane to charge 14.99 a room. Any way I gave up and went into the remodeling biz for years and started up my carpet cleaning again when I relocated to Alabama about 8 years ago. I still did all my calls, estimates, sales, truck repairs, ordering, bill paying, trouble shooting like calls to yellow pages, phone probs, etc….. And the WORK yeah lets not forget the work. Then there is the taxes to which I found my second calling I should have been a tax professional, I actually worked for HR block for a few seasons. But hated wearing a tie and really hated getting emergency flood call on a Saturday mooring and be in a suit and tie and have to say I can’t make it. Until one day as to why I am not sure maybe it was a bump to the heard of lack of, but I decided I needed some help. I decided to have a little faith in my wife’s ability to run an office. Not sure why I ever doubted her because she worked as receptionist and office clerk several times throughout her working carrier. So we got signed up for Service Monster again why I was being a cheepo in the past over 50 bucks I don’t know, but the best 50 a month I spend. My wife loves the software and it leaded to the next task to be delegated and that was the phone. One of the main reasons I always hesitated in my wife handling the phones was time, she has house stuff, kid stuff and me stuff to take care of. So we got signed up with Full Circle, sure they have some issues too but we forward the phone in the morning and in the after noon. The rest of the day she handles it just fine. Next I finally hired some help, been training them for a while and got them to where I am not too stressed to send them out alone lol. Now I work on getting more work especially commercial accounts. So far things are better so let’s see how I do this winter because the last two weeks have been slow lol.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Mikey P said:
Second round of questions

- Does she play dot to dot with your liver spots and try to find Brittney's or Hanna's face in the constellation on your back?

-What are the intervals you go between the Golf Channel and the Disney Channel on your remote?

-Does she have pet names for or ever performed a puppet show with your skin tags?

-Does she think your AARP magazines are about furry aliens that live in the basement?

Is he as disturbed an individual as he sounds?
Or is he just having a bad, off night? :p

Name
steve snail
Let's start with these..

-How is your lower back?

-Five or 6 days a week?

-Do you hope to?[/quote]

Lower Back: great shape thanks to CC and hot yoga. We are soooo lucky, CC can built incredible abs that support the lower back. Ask that lower back question to a desk jockey.

Carpal Tunnel. Did once, found some stretching exercises that seems to have cured it. And change hand and body position constantly while working.

Keep the phone turned off most of the day, very rude to be talking to others on the customers dime.

5,6, sometimes 8 days a week EGAD!

Vacation: ski the Rockies and Tetons 5-7 weeks per winter. Will clean for POW! Did a quickie long weekend to Aspen / Moab a couple of weeks ago. needed a break.

I'm a Happy Happy boy, in the words of the beet farmers.

Always had a CPA.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Ofer Kolton said:
[quote="Mikey P":276xjdf7]Second round of questions

Is he as disturbed an individual as he sounds?
Or is he just having a bad, off night? :p
[/quote:276xjdf7]

He is just DRUNK.... :oops: "Cheep wine....Vortex is really cutting into his LiQuOr budjet... :roll: "

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Mikey P said:

Let's start with these..

-How is your lower back?

-Five or 6 days a week?

-Do you hope to?

I run it by myself. No wife, no kids, no marketing team, no one to answer phones but me. Yes the truck runs while I converse. If it rings, sometimes I take it, sometimes it goes to VM.

I can book the appointment while on the phone by entering it in my phone.

Normal week is 5 days, but one weekend a month I work at a commercial account.

Last Vacation was in July, spent 6 days in Arkansas on Lake Hamilton, year before Disney World, one week, year before that traveled to Wisconsin Dells for a week. Next year, planning a trip to some beachy area before the kids get to old to want to go.

No employees, but use to have a part timer for commercial.

And yes my lower back sucks. I've had too many injections for a normal person and 3 knee surgeries. Sometimes I sleep in the lazyboy, but no carpal tunnel.

Able 1

Name
Keith
[quote="vincent]

Last Vacation was in July, spent 6 days in Arkansas on Lake Hamilton, year before Disney World, one week, year before that traveled to Wisconsin Dells for a week. [/quote]

What did you think of the Dells??

vincent

Name
Vincent Sapp
Able 1 said:
[quote="vincent]

Last Vacation was in July, spent 6 days in Arkansas on Lake Hamilton, year before Disney World, one week, year before that traveled to Wisconsin Dells for a week.

What did you think of the Dells??[/quote][/quote]

It was great. We went in June before the crowds.

S

sam miller

Ive answered phones when my wife went to Russia but then I had a helper which I just started using the last year or 2 but my wife is priceless. she does the books and writes checks I know what goes to the bank but shes great on the phones,

Name
Noble Carpet Cleaners
I marvel at the responces , "everything but.......". There are truly very few "true" single truck folks out there. There are even fewer cleaning business assistance sources out there for folks (like me and a few others) who are one man bands. To my knowledge there is only one source (Steve Marsh) and even he had his wife as a helper when he was still cleaning and probably still now in his coaching business.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
I am chief cook and bottle washer wrt booking, cleaning, TM maintenance etc.
I give my receipts to an accountant to look after all the expenses. I track all income and give her the #'s.

-How is your lower back?

Lower back is good and strong. Fortunately Mike West taught me proper wanding posture early in my busn. My upper back and neck needs the chiro treatments most.

I twinges every now and then but usually nothing. I slipped on ice and fell on that arm in 89, it weaked that wrist for years till a chiropractor fixed it. Using the 2" wand puts it at an odd angle. Shoulder bugs me more than my wrist.

I have answered the phone, most times now I answer, ask to call them back later. If I'm working I will answer and may book a job or ask to call them back. At one point I turn the phone on vibrate and just let it go to voicemail.

Sometimes 5 min, sometimes more. Depends on what comes up; I might be explaining a concern with the carpet.

I sched with my Franklin Planner, then upgraded to a Palm Pilot, then upgraded to a smart phone, usually always near by.

-Five or 6 days a week?
I'll work everyday but Sunday. I might work Sunday if its really necessary.

What's a vacation???!
Spring of 08, went to Orlando with my daughter. Still ended up picking up a part for my TM. Usually my vacations are either back to see family or busn related, ie MF, or COnnections or a course.

Yes, I am. Except when I start reading the board too much. Then I go back out on my own and realize, I really like this.

I hired a lady last month to help clear up the desk.
I use a bookkeeper/accountant for all that paperwork that bogs me down.
I let a friend help me a couple times, more to let him make some extra money than it was for help.
I've had a couple of my daughter's friends help me; same reason.
Only time I had a helper for "me" was cleaning a couple big condos.

-Do you hope to?[/quote]
Thought of it. Maybe someday.

Mikey P

Administrator
pt 2.

Not for Hugh Hefnorp.

How old are you, how long have you been flying solo and how long do you think can you continue?

jerry ACC

Name
Jerry Lightcap
I am a TRUE one man show, I do everything including the taxes.

-How is your lower back?
Arthritic from top to bottom from an injury in 1992.-

Do you have signs of carpal tunnel?
NOPEI am married, so I have a great wrist strengthening program.

Phone is on vibrate while in the home.-

How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running?
As little as possible.-

Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..?
I'll write it on my arm if I have to.

-Five or 6 days a week?
7 days if I can get the work.-

When was your last vacation and for how long?
Can't even remember. 10 Years ago?

Yes-

Did you use to have employees or office help?
No-

Do you hope to?
Some day.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
pt 2.

Not for Hugh Hefnorp.

How old are you, how long have you been flying solo and how long do you think can you continue?

228873_10150423821202586_666667585_10883163_387571_n.jpg

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
HARPER said:
Mikey P said:
pt 2.

Not for Hugh Hefnorp.

228873_10150423821202586_666667585_10883163_387571_n.jpg

Why is it that only Harp knows how to sum it up so shortly, yet so elegantly?
For the solo O/O not necessarily bdcc; Harp's the man.

joe harper

Name
joe harper
Mikey P said:
Did the goat eat your nips?

Geeeeze...."Just a little FaGGisH..!"...there JugHeaD... :oops:

NIpples are FINE....jus taking a lil napp...PhAgTaRD.... :roll:

Carful..."Brandi"...is very protective of my nipples..."You don't want to PISS HER OFF." :idea:

215340_555517019009_172801749_31557660_4224980_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom