How many, if any TRUE one man shows do we have here?

Marc Imbesi

Mikey P said:
pt 2.
How old are you, how long have you been flying solo and how long do you think can you continue?

44, solo since 2001, I havent shown any signs of slowing down, prolly cause I've gotten back in shape chasing tail for 2400 miles :shock: (actual this "starting over" has been good for the body)

Bob Foster

How old are you?

how long have you been flying solo?

How long do you think can you continue?

Solo 1.5 more years but starting to blend a helper in now with the plan to have a full time in about a year or so

Even though I love to work now I plan on being off the truck except for back up in 3 to 4 years probably because I will need to due to my age.

How?

Building higher margin business by adding distinguishing services such as fine textile cleaning(rugs), stone and tile. This year has proven to be very successful with this strategy.

Joe "Goat" Harper :lol: :p is and has been an immense help in assisting me with analysis of my service area, demographics and advertising strategy. He helped me see the trees in the big forest.

You can't get off the truck if you don't have the business. You only have a job and a not a money machine if you don't have a true profit and you can't have a profit if you don't understand the true cost of doing business. My biggest vulnerability is not having a competent helper with me.
My biggest business mistake I am making is my poor leveraging of my customer base contacts. Service Monster appears to be ideal for those of us with small operations that do not have a office assistant. Face it, we're too tired at the end of the day to send out reminder cards and massage our customer base.

I will answer all my phone calls except when in front of a current customer. That may change if I start to miss too many calls.

I'm heading to a 1.5 to 2 truck maximum operation. Kind of like what Mike has now.

That's how this old carpet cleaner is going to roll...

BillC

I'm a one man team! Sometimes I will have a family member come with me on big jobs just to pull hoses. What's funny is when people hire help and they themselves don't know **** about carpet cleaning. That's the way it is around here anyway!

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Mikey P said:
you two crab cakes can KMA

Let's start with these..

If you are true one man show..

-How is your lower back?
I have worked in warehouses for the last 15 years before going out on my own. One was a freezer where I was in -10 all night. did that one for 11 years. My back feels better now that I clean carpets.
-Do you have signs of carpal tunnel?
Most likely, but that would from picking up boxes for all those years.

-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..."
It goes to voice mail. The one who I am talking to is going to write me a check soon.
-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running?
not much. I get all of the talking done and then fire up the machine. They usually leave me alone after that. Every once in a while I get a long winded person on the phone.
-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..?
I have a calender with me, along with the clipboard that I use for writing invoices for the job I'm on. Takes all but 2 minutes.

-Five or 6 days a week?
6 if someone wants me on a Saturday. If I have something to do, I just tell them I'm booked.
-When was your last vacation and for how long?
Last Sept. Took the family to Disney world for a week. Going back in January for another week.

-Are you fully content being a OO?
I love doing this. I answer to myself. No boss or timeclock chasing me.
-Did you use to have employees or office help?
No, I will take one of my boys if I need help. I have 3 of them to choose from. Whoever has their hair combed gets to go.
-Do you hope to?
Maybe, but not right now.
I'm sure my body will give up at some point, but I am enjoying the freedom and time with my family that I didn't have for the first 12 years of my marriage. I worked nights, weekends and holidays in warehouses. I hope to never do that again.

Yes I am a true one man show. Clean, take calls, go to the bank, go get supplies, do the books, do the taxes.
I am 39. Been doing it this way since I started in 2006.

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
-How is your lower back? Sometimes it aches, especially on long tiring days, so I keep my days short now. Never go to a chiroprator or get a massage for it though.

-Do you have signs of carpal tunnel? No. Again I keep my days short enough.

-When in a conversation with the home owner who's carpet you are cleaning right then and the phone rings do you let it go to message or tell Mrs Pift "Sorry I have to get this, it's next month's rent on the line..." I don't answer the phone for my business with my cell. I don't like to be bothered, so the phone just rings at home. If we are not there, we have an answering machine. (If I were trying to grow my business, I would have the phone answered, especially if I had a phone book ad)

-How much time do you spend talking to the new client while the truck is running? Very little.

-Do you carry a note pad or fire up your Ipad to book the appointment, while the truck is running..? I have an appointment book in my briefcase and another duplicate at the home office. Again, I don't take calls on the job.

-Five or 6 days a week? 5 short weekdays. No nights or weekends.

-When was your last vacation and for how long? Usually short trips to the coast, Yosemite, Tahoe, or to our 10 acres in the Sierra Nevada foothills. Don't like flying much anymore. A couple trips to Japan and yearly National Akita Dog Shows did me in. I still visit my folks in Minnesota though.

-Are you fully content being a OO? Absolutely. Why? My June 2006 Cleanfax cover article gave my reasons. I can attach it hear if anyone is interested.

-Did you use to have employees or office help? Never had employees, now in my 42nd year.

-Do you hope to? I hope not. I will probably go another 4 to 8 years. I need SOME exercise. Might as well get paid for it.

glenboy

Name
GLEN
just me and myself and sunday morning and 140 chairs and a whole restaurant carpet to clean, sometimes i wish i had a helper
thathurts thathurts

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
glenboy said:
just me and myself and sunday morning and 140 chairs and a whole restaurant carpet to clean, sometimes i wish i had a helper
thathurts thathurts

A helper will pay for themselves many times over.

You can sell while the helper sets up.

You can do more in a day and not get worn out.

You can complete more work at each job.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
Loren Egland said:
-Are you fully content being a OO? Absolutely. Why? My June 2006 Cleanfax cover article gave my reasons. I can attach it hear if anyone is interested.

Loren,

I would be interested in reading your June 2006 Cleanfax article.

Thank you

Loren Egland

Name
Loren Egland
Avoiding Burnout

It was many years ago when you started your carpet cleaning business. Some of your social circle may have looked upon your decision to enter the business with skepticism. After all, at first glance, cleaning someone’s soiled carpet would seem to be a lowly, unglamorous job. It might also seem like a lot of hard work at undesirable times, such as nights and weekends.

Your associates may have doubted the wisdom of your decision. They may have directed your attention to the numerous yellow page ads for carpet cleaning and the cheap prices they see advertised so frequently by the competition. It is easy to see how you could have been discouraged from becoming a self-employed carpet cleaner when faced with this doom and gloom perspective.

But in spite this negativity, you were filled with enthusiasm and looked on the bright side. You entered the cleaning business for some very good reasons.

Your personality, needs and desires may have motivated you to stay an owner/operator or to grow into a multi-truck operation. Too make a long story short, you now have many years behind you as a self employed cleaner.

Even if one has a successful cleaning business, whether as a single truck owner operator or as a multi truck company, the owner, over time, can have a change of attitude about his cleaning business. Unlike the enthusiasm he had when new in the business, the owner gets burnt out and feels he needs to make a change.

That change could mean moving on to a different profession, it could be getting off the truck and growing with employees, or it might mean just the opposite by simplifying ones life and downsizing back to being a one truck owner operator. Sometimes it can be the little changes that can make a big difference in your attitude.

How can cleaners avoid becoming bored, stressed, discouraged, even depressed after years in business? What can be done to avoid ‘burnout’.

I wish I had all the answers. There are probably as many answers as there are cleaners. Not only do we all have a different personality, we all do something a little different than our colleagues, and our life situations are not all the same.

Having spent the last 36 years as the owner/operator of two cleaning businesses I started in two very different parts of the country, I would like to share some things I keep in mind that have helped me avoid burnout and that should help keep my fire burning until my plan of spending 50 years cleaning carpet has been realized.

Though my thoughts on avoiding burnout will reflect my owner/operator background, some of them may also be of value to owners of larger cleaning businesses.

One suggestion is to consider the possible alternatives to what you are now doing. All you need to do is look around at people from different walks of life with whom we come into contact. You may have to look no further than to your neighbors.

I have neighbors that hate their jobs, don’t make enough money on their jobs, have long or lousy hours, or both husband and wife have to work full time. They feel trapped in a dead end job. They look dragged out. They don’t seem that happy with this part of their life.

Sometimes people we clean for lose their jobs or they get transferred to another part of the country against their will. For many, their commute can take hours per day of stop and go traffic. Others have less than desirable working conditions or simply just hate their tedious or high pressure job. Maybe they don’t get along with their boss or workmates. Perhaps their job requires extensive travel away from home and family.

You can see how this could all add up to being very stressful or depressing. When you see what so many others have to put up with in their job, it makes you appreciate some of the advantages of our profession.

Another way to help avoid burnout is to reflect upon the reasons we chose to be in the cleaning business, as well as where we decided to live and work.

Being in business for your self may be a dream of many, and for good reason. It gives you control over your life! Successfully building a business of your own is something to feel good about and something to take pride in.

Once you decided to go into carpet cleaning, your first order of business was to decide what part of the country you wanted to live and work. This alone may contribute more to your happiness than many other business decisions you make.

Weather can have an affect on your mood, and some climates may result in having a slow season. Being close to family might also be important in choosing a location to live and work.

Even if you are already in the cleaning business, you always have the option of starting over elsewhere. For me, moving and starting over was one of the best decisions I ever made.

Rather than fighting the cold weather and painfully slow winters, working in a warmer climate made my life much more enjoyable. In fact, after moving and starting over, I found I developed a better attitude about my new business, and felt better about myself. I became more professional, which no doubt contributed to the greater financial success I experienced.

When you first started in the cleaning business, maybe it was because you didn’t want to spend thousands of dollars and several years in college just to get a good job. Or maybe you have a degree but it hasn’t paid off the way you envisioned.

By comparison, the initial cost of starting a cleaning business was quite low compared to the time and money required learning a trade through higher education, or to start and build many other types of business. The learning curve was fairly quick. You realized it can be profitable right from the start with the right approach. In a short time, repeat and referral work may have become all that is needed to stay busy, since you have proven to be the consumer’s best choice.

When you think back upon your decision to enter the cleaning business, you can’t help but think you made a wise move, because there are many businesses you could have went into that would have been much more risky and that could have proven a financial hardship. You should have no regrets.

Being your own boss has its advantages over being employed for someone else. You decide what hours you want to work. So if you don’t like night or weekend work, you don’t have to schedule it, choosing not to pursue that market. You can even give yourself a raise.

The great thing about carpet cleaning is that you can just say no to working long hours, a major cause of feeling burnt out. If you do things right, you need only work a few hours per day to make a nice comfortable living. This gives you time for other matters that contribute to enjoying your life, such as hobbies, volunteer work, or having more time to do things with your family.

Its nice to be out and about part of the day and not have to be stuck in a dingy factory or sit in a cubicle all day. For the most part a cleaner is indoors in a nice atmosphere while cleaning carpet rather than working outdoors all day, often in bad weather.

With some jobs there is little satisfaction to be had from the work performed. This is not so with carpet cleaning.

It is extremely satisfying to start with an ugly soiled and stained carpet and transform it to a beautiful, like new appearance. Cleaners are often so proud of their accomplishment, they even take pictures to remember it by, and show these to other customers.

I remember the movie City Slickers with Billy Crystal and Jack Palance. Jack Palance’s character knew that the secret to life was “one thing”, and Billy Crystal’s character wanted to know what it was. The “one thing” was different for everybody. Doing something well was the secret to happiness. Billy Crystal’s character had been burnt out and unhappy, but rather than changing his job, he just decided to do it better again.

Isn’t it the case that when first starting in the cleaning business, we all try to do the very best job we can? However, after spending years in the business, it is easy to get complacent. We may not even recognize this about ourselves, yet we may not still be doing the little things that make a difference. Perhaps we clean a little too quickly. Maybe we get upset that we seem to compete more on price than we used to. A good self examination may reveal we need to get back to that same enthusiasm for being our best, resulting in a better clientele that can help bring a cleaner out of the doldrums.

It is usually a human desire to be good at something. Carpet cleaning is something that anyone can be good at if they put forth the effort and make the sacrifices necessary to be the best. Maybe all it would take is an impressive new truck or machine, or making other small changes that make you feel you are now the best.

One complaint some people mention regarding their work is that they do not feel appreciated at their job. Work isn’t always just about the money.

Don’t you just love it when your customers tell you how happy they are with you and your work? You never tire of hearing it, do you? Such compliments make you feel great. What job could you possibly have that would make you feel any better and still make good money?

It’s great to be the boss most of the time, but if you have employees, they can cause you a lot of stress in many ways.

The advantage an owner/operator has is that he is only responsible for his own actions and his own financial needs. His is a simple, worry free approach. Often the profit is as good or better than many multiple truck operations.

But sometimes a personality is happier with the recognition and accomplishment of building and owning a larger business. The added challenge may be just what the doctor ordered if one is just tired of doing the cleaning.

If the office is in the home, there are several tax deductions that can be taken that are not available to you if you are an employee working for someone else. A percentage of your living expenses and other deductions, are legal perks that actually increase your real profit by lowering income taxes.

There is a nice amount of social contact while working, yet a cleaner also has time to himself to think about things other than just the carpet he is cleaning.

When he goes home, he doesn’t have to bring the job home with him. Some professions require considerable mental involvement that may be hard to leave at the office.

Isn’t is great to be able to make plans to go somewhere or do something that you really want to do and know you won’t be told “No, you can’t go!” If you are employed on a job, it can come first, and something that may be important to you or your family will not be realized if your job demands that you work instead.

No job seems that secure anymore. Getting laid off or fired from a good job can be devastating. Even getting transferred to another state can be rough, especially when you your job transfers you every few years.

Owning your own business means you never have to worry or live in fear of such a negative life altering experience.

Some will argue that carpet cleaning is hard work and wonder if you will still want to clean when you get older.

But looking at the other side of the coin, a little exercise will keep you healthier as you age. Rather than paying to spend time working out in a gym, a carpet cleaner gets paid for the exercise he gets while cleaning.

As he gets a little older, he can simply do fewer jobs per day. If demand for his service is high, then raising the price will slow things down to an acceptable level, and plenty of money will still be made, especially if one’s home is now paid for and other investments have been made along the way. Carpet cleaning provides an excellent way to semi-retire.

So bottom line, if you feel burnt out and think you need to make a change, it would be well to look before you leap. The grass may not be greener elsewhere. Perhaps by reflecting upon your business, considering the many benefits it provides, appreciating your blessings, and weighing the alternatives, you too can keep the fire burning and ‘avoid burnout’.

Loren Egland
June 2006 Cleanfax

S

sam miller

I'm 48 and am ready to do that 4 day a week thing thats my goal! Or just win the Lotto !dork!

GCP

Hmm it does make you wonder.. Great post guys.

"Soooooooooo.....It is another sHiLL - tHreAd... !gotcha! "[/quote]

Mikey P

Administrator
a few more...

-If your back blew out and you needed to take a few weeks of what would you do?

-Your back needs to fused and your wanding days are over this Monday, what now?

-How many clients do you have that would absolutely not let your chimp do the cleaning?

-Do you have a son who shows interest in following in your foot steps?

-and would you let him on this board before his 21st birthday?

S

sam miller

Mikey P said:
a few more...

Pray and wobble, kinda like slop an gobble but not.

Go back to the PS and mailers and Lie steal and cheat Doah!

-How many clients do you have that would absolutely not let your chimp do the cleaning?
Thats a good question if I was there supervising they might be cool.

He hates cleaning carpets I dont blame him! but he's good at it. its all about money for college.

Um NO!

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
Mikey P said:
a few more...

My Father in Law is retired and went to work for Lowe's because he was bored. I'm sure I can put him on the truck and have him fill in. He has gone out on enough jobs to know what to do.

I would be screwed there. I guess that is where I would have to reconsider what I do. Get an employee and I would be the marketing and sales guy so I can keep him busy and feed my family.

I know of a few.

My kids got their mom's brains. I have one kid in advanced calculus. I hope they don't want to do this. One of my boys might work for me, he thinks like me and it scares me at times.

No, I would try to keep him off the boards.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom