How many years in did you realize...

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
donno about work less with mouths on the truck to feed besides my own, but figured out $69.95 for 2 rms and a hall res and $60 a pop 2bd rm empty apts didn't get it by year 4 or 5
(not at the quality we delivered anyway)

..L.T.A.

Reactions: Mikey P

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
One of my first customers was a property management company with lots of rental apt buildings. $25 for a 1 bedroom and $35 for a 2 bedroom. Even in the eighties I couldn't make money at that so we started charging for stain removal. Raised the average ticket to aprox $100.

Reactions: Living The Dream

hogjowl

Idiot™
I never realized that ... not in the way you describe. Working less has never been a concern of mine. However, it took me a couple of years to learn that I was going broke staying busy. How I learned that was being called in for an interview by Allstate at the end of my second year. They interviewed me because I was their number 1 restoration contractor that year.
I was somewhat shocked to learn that and still be broke. So I quit doing restoration completely and raised my prices on the other things I was still doing.

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
Its sure easy to chase your tail and not realize busy doesn't equate to profitable.

Back in the 80's we were running 8-tms and weren't make what we should have for the effort expended.

After taking a serious look at where we were making money we shifted our efforts more towards restoration.
I used to work for a company like that. 20 truck mounts charging less than anybody else. They moved into restoration with the same concept and went broke.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I used to work for a company like that. 20 truck mounts charging less than anybody else. They moved into restoration with the same concept and went broke.
You can go broke doing anything if you don't charge enough.

We were making money cleaning carpet but it just wasn't what we felt it should have been.

16 technicians, new trucks, new TM's but it didn't compare to WDR work which when we were unfocused we saw as a nuisance. 😲

Reactions: Cleanworks

Willy P

Name
Willy P
I can Easily Care about that company because they were nationwide Eatins. Wood ward sears and the list goes on. Lowballers all gone.

Reactions: Cleanworks

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
You can go broke doing anything if you don't charge enough.

We were making money cleaning carpet but it just wasn't what we felt it should have been.

16 technicians, new trucks, new TM's but it didn't compare to WDR work which when we were unfocused we saw as a nuisance. 😲
At the time they went out of business, I inherited some of their buildings. They were doing 1 bedroom apts for $55 when I was $120. Some of the building mgrs. Almost had a heart attack.

• Wow
Reactions: Desk Jockey
Name
BradFenstermaker
Couple yrs tops.

My ride along with Marty really changed my thought process.

When Marty told me, Brad you don't want to clean all the carpet in your service area!

I looked at him, told him about BBQ sauce on his chin, and asked why is that?

Marty informed me you won't make money on every job.

Pick your direction and stick with it and charge what your worth.

Thanks Marty!

FYI Marty didn't drip BBQ sauce. LOL

Cleanworks

Name
Ron Marriott
It took me exactly 1 week to realize that the prior owners business model was not sustainable.
We changed everything from the van, to advertising, to chemistry....
Then worked our asses off to prove ourselves....
We retained maybe about 15% of the original clients...
And built from there...
There's a guy in Osoyoos selling his business.

Reactions: Sierra Clean Care
Name
Jeff T
Old truck, who knows how solid the business is. Now if you had a good employee...
Penticton is ripe...
Long drive still, only 2 guys there... both old school, both I wouldn’t hire...
South end of Okanagan, start of Skaha lake, lots of lake front homes, guest cottages, and good sized boats...

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
I can identify with many others on this thread, starting out in 1985 charging $44.95 for 2 rooms and a hall! Over the years we steadily raised our prices, but the biggest gain we had was running 2 wands on just about every job to cut our time down. That was and still is, our biggest boost for being done with each and every job in a timely manner while still being thorough. I know many have said dual wands do not work very well in residential, but I differ. We never lack for vacuum, and certainly not lacking in the heat department.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom