How much oil does a cat 290 pump take?

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
Can't find my book.ugh and it is already 5 hours over being changed........ anyone know??? Sue me if its a dumb question.lol

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk 2

Mike Draper

waste of time and money. My friend owns 2 large car washes, no pump in either car wash has ever had the oil changed. Some of the cat pumps are 19 years old and still running. When there is no combustion, the oil is not going to break down like it does with an engine. It may get dirty over time, but thats about all.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I disagree.....I change it every 300 hours....and that oil is black as hell. Compared to new clear oil...........so if its that black, what does that tell you?

Mike Draper

It tells me u have something wrong. My old van is running the same exact pump. I installed it at 1900 hrs. The pump now has 1800 hrs. on it. With no oil changes, the oil still looks good. I know because I still help with maintenance on the van. You're at it, you can buy the magical oil that cat pump sells because it's way different than grocery store oil.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
I'm guessing from memory... 16 oz. maybe. 7.00 for a bottle of magic oil sounds like a fair deal to me. I would tend to agree somewhat with Mike that the manufacturers tend to recommend change intervals way too often, although its cheap insurance.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Ten ounces. It's often hard to use the dipstick in the red cap, or to see the sight window in the side of the pump. Thus I've replaced the drain plug with a clear hose that turns up against the machine and makes a much better sight gauge and drain hose.

Oil picks up moisture and heat related contaminates, especially when running hot and hard.

It's cheap, change it often.

joeynbgky

Supportive Member
Name
Joey
I have two.......machines with the same pump....same dark oil from both.....nothing is wrong........I use cat oil.....its not that much money........ that's why I would never buy a used machine from anybody.......y'all suck at maintenance

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
next time you drain take out the sight glass and clean it . it makes filling a no brainer, then mark on the pump the exact amount you use. it beats trying to remember. everything i own has the amount and wrench size marked on it.

gene

handdi

Supportive Member
Name
Randy
i think we have 3 cat pumps and they all have site glass on them
so whats the problem?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom