How much prespray per area?

Green&Clean

How much prespray do you guys use per area? I have no idea how much is a good amount. I realize that trashed carpets need more...but then again you probably remedied that by using a higher concentration. The reason I ask is because I'm using a hardware store inexpensive tank sprayer. (hydroforce is first on my list as soon as I make some money). So it's not enough to tell me one pass, two passes. I really need to know how far a gallon goes for you? Do you have a predetermined figure as to how many gallons to a certain square footage? How do you determine your amount?

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Green&Clean said:
How much prespray do you guys use per area? I have no idea how much is a good amount. I realize that trashed carpets need more...but then again you probably remedied that by using a higher concentration. The reason I ask is because I'm using a hardware store inexpensive tank sprayer. (hydroforce is first on my list as soon as I make some money). So it's not enough to tell me one pass, two passes. I really need to know how far a gallon goes for you? Do you have a predetermined figure as to how many gallons to a certain square footage? How do you determine your amount?

The short answer is that usually the product will come with instructions that will specify the exact amount necessary for that many square feet.

In general, (very much despised by manufacturers and distributors) and what I would do is- Use the least amount needed, that will still do the job.

The more you put, the higher the chance of re-appearing stains. That can happen by spraying too much and pushing the stain into the pad. Also, pre-sprays have a penetrating agents that make the rinse go deeper-the carpet gets wetter- again a potential wicking issue.

Start with less and if it dos not work increase slowly. No need to mention that time , chemical strength and agitation can be also utilized. The heat I assume is a given.

And luck always helps too :p

ACE

Name
Mike Hughes
It's good to hear someone is more broke than I am :lol: . Keep hustling and you will make it. The goal is to put down enough prespray to come in contact with most of fiber and not to dry out before you rinse.

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
ACE said:
It's good to hear someone is more broke than I am :lol: . Keep hustling and you will make it. The goal is to put down enough prespray to come in contact with most of fiber and not to dry out before you rinse.

This, and to give you an idea, when I use my battery sprayer I generally use an average of between 2-3 gallons for an average 3 bedrooms, living room, dining room, and hall type deal.

That said I mostly use and inline sprayer. For me it's way faster and more convenient, and I tend to use LESS chemical.

Name
BradFenstermaker
A quart to 1/2 gal per room. Of course it depends on how dirty. This amount can get you started.

1 tip I will give you to save on cleaner it to prescrub after you prespray. Either a 175 or grandi groom if its all you have.

John Watson

This was a reason why we use to use a cleaning rinse with our TLC.
TLC : Traffic Lane Cleaner

WE would use the tlc on the soiled Traffic areas only and our prevaccing and rinse normaly took care of the "un trafficed" areas. Found we used alot less of the costly Juice. WE also saved by using an electric or battery powered multi-sprayer for delivery of the tlc.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
If the rooms not very dirty, really your just using the pre spray to lubricate the carpet for the wand. Just a quick mist.

We can clean a whole house, 4br, hall, lr/dr, stairs with about 3 gallons of pre spray. Or less.

G

greentech

If you are not agitating, you may also want to do a cross pattern to make sure you are getting a more even spray pattern.

Left, Right. Up, Down.

Fill your sprayer with water. Spray your driveway or sidewalk. You will be able to see how much coverage you are getting.

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Basically you want to wet down the carpet, more so in the areas that need it, ie traffic lanes and spotted areas (ie under dining room table)
Wherever the prespray hits it will clean better.
Invest in a grooming BRUSH, not a Grandi groomer. You'll get a good workout plus you'll get better agitation.

The above suggestion will work well for you as you will have a mental picture of the application

"Fill your sprayer with water. Spray your driveway or sidewalk. You will be able to see how much coverage you are getting."

Green&Clean

Thanks for the advice guys. I think I've been putting the right amount on my practice cleanings, according to your posts. And yeah, spraying the driveaway should give me a good idea of how much coverage I'm getting.

tmdry

Name
Bill Martins
Im not sure the brand of your pump up, but I would get the 2-3 gallons b&g sprayer from jondon, it'll go along way, I'd also get an extra 06 tip for the pre spray, 04 for protector comes with it.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
one size don't fit all

a trashed restoration/salvage rag might need nuked at a gal pr 100sf in some areas .
light soil, well maintained carpets doesn't need much.. (or any) ..like 600+ sf pr gal

300-400sf pr gal is a good average to wet out the fibers though

..L.T.A.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
It may sound stoopie but spray the traffic lane cleaner where it's needed. I often find with new tech's they want to spray the entire room when it's not necessary.

Beneath the furniture and a few feet along the edges of the wall only need vacuuming of the dust. The rinse solution and will clean it fine with no need for applying preconditioner to traffic areas.

New tech's start spraying everything because they have no concerns for the cost of the prespray. :x

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom