How to equalize wand pressures when dual-wanding?

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
When one wand is keyed, won't the other lose pressure?

Much obliged.

Name
Lee Stockwell
A little bit, like when someone is using the kitchen sink when you are taking a shower. Depends more on the capacity (volume) of the pump than on the pressure.

I do kick up the pressure a bit when dualing, but more importantly, speed up the machine.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Lee is correct.

We use the same pressure (about 450 PSI) when dual wanding as we do when single wanding. Increasing the RPM of your pump will increase your high-pressure flow.

You also need all 3/8" ID hoses at your machine, from the pump to your heating system, and from your heating system to a 3/8" manifold that will go to 2 separate 1/4" ID QC's.

If yo do all that, and still have too much drop when both wands are keyed, you need a pump with more GPM output.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Bob Savage said:
AZ

If yo do all that, and still have too much drop when both wands are keyed, you need a pump with more GPM output.

Check the spec's on your pump. You need at least 4 GPM to consider dual- wanding with it. Better to be closer to 5 GPM. And it may be under- driven, which means that even if it's rated at what you need, it may not be driven hard enough to deliver it.

But 4 to 5 GPM requires heat that very few systems can generate... !gotcha!

BTW, if your pump is rated and turning at the RPM you need, and your regulator isn't new, it may need a rebuild or replacement.

Also check your jets, especially if they're not new and ESPECIALLY if they're brass. As they get some time on them, they get larger and allow more flow at a given pressure. Too much of a pressure drop could simply be a matter of worn jets.

Johnny

Supportive Member
Name
Johnny
Thanks for all the good advice.

My old 25/47/3CP Freedom has been good to me and is, I think, ideal for single-wand. It's still going strong, but I might need a bigger or a second machine to dual-wand.

However, I am going to try it with the Freedom first. (Bob Savage's vid got me thinkin'.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom