How would you handle this? Custy wins raffle, too far to service...

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
Yea, I made the mistake of not putting location restrictions on a gift cert. for a local raffle. The cert. is for a hundred bucks.

The custy that won the raffle is in the city(downtown Chi.) about an hour and a half at least. Just finding parking in the actual city can take hours, let alone in front of her place...

What would you do to get out of this? I'm thinking of just giving her a hundred bucks.

Any thoughts? Other than, well maybe she'll add on hundreds of dollars in other sales...

Thanks

We have done these(gift certs.) before and it's worked great, helped send a local travel baseball team to Cooperstown(baseball hof)... Very cool. Just never had this issue.

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
I think I would send the $100.
I've never thought about people winning that live out of my area. I give gift certs to schools all of the time. I think I'll start including that on them.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
You try to a good thing and someone always tries to hose you.

I'd be inclined to tell her to suck myDitka.:winky:

suckmyDitka.jpg

Seriously, I'd call her and apologize for the mix up but she is out of your service area and as much as you'd like to clean for her you don't service the downtown area.

Then tell her because you feel so bad about it, you are willing to honor the certificate for any friend or relative that does live in your service area. Plus for being so understanding you're going to send her a $50.00 dinner certificate because you feel bad about the mix up.

If she has any family in your service area, they are going to love you! :icon_cool:

If she doesn't want to play ball, then send her Ditka! :icon_twisted:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hogjowl and jcooper

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
oops, very important to mention service area when your in that type of market. I would not go service an account like that under those conditions. I would rather pay her the price she paid for it. If it was a raffle then pay her the list price on the certificate. Good thing is that if you make someone mad that they are not in your service area

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Smooth move Cooper. Pull your pants up and take the ride, or sit and wonder.

I am a cleaner and would rather clean than pay someone to not clean, duh!

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I am a cleaner and would rather clean than pay someone to not clean, duh!
I'd much rather cut my losses and hope to salvage a client out of her relatives or friend. She had to be there for some reason, she didn't drive an hour and half just to buy a cleaning from a raffle. Most likely somebody's grandma?

Cleaning would be three hours round trip, plus parking and cleaning time. Why waste a whole day screwing around with a job you don't ever want as a repeat. :hopeless:
The other thing that happens when doing something like this is you'll get a call back, spot didn't come out, traffic area looks a little dark, I live alone and cannot remove the block you put under the furniture.

Ya know what on second thought, just send her the Ditka picture and tell life is a bitch and so is a three hour round trip!
:p

Reactions: GCCLee

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
I would ask her whether she would rather have the $100 cash or the cleaning. If she wants the cleaning, suck it up and do it. Maybe she will get upholstery too, maybe you can knock on neighbor's doors and offer a killer deal on cleaning that day and make up for the drive.

Lesson learned, now you know to get specific.

Take care,
Lisa

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
Doc hit on it right here!

"She had to be there for some reason, she didn't drive an hour and half just to buy a cleaning from a raffle. Most likely somebody's grandma? "

I just don't like the thought of him paying someone an actual $100 bill ! That is not the purpose or intent of his drawing.

Chris

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Doc hit on it right here!

"She had to be there for some reason, she didn't drive an hour and half just to buy a cleaning from a raffle. Most likely somebody's grandma? "

I just don't like the thought of him paying someone an actual $100 bill ! That is not the purpose or intent of his drawing.

Chris

But it will cost Jerry more than $100 to do the job?

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
I tried to help out a friend (that has donated his DJ services to my Daughters Scholarship Dinner for 10 years now) by giving a room of carpet, installed, up to I think 30 yards, at a wedding show. We also advertised our services there. I was purchasing the carpet from ProSource, but I was pricing the gift at full retail cost. The first year, the winner was local, but needed another 30 yards to complete the job. This guy was a big goomba, and wanted to haggle over price. I finished that up but with some hard feelings. The second winner was 75 miles away, and had to waste a trip just to measure out the carpet area, which 30 yards wouldn't finish. After that, I was finished. I've had local success with donating carpet cleaning to fund raising drives, but I spell out the limits in the contract.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
The point is he admittedly goofed and didn't put restrictions on it. $100 is a really inexpensive lesson- most of my screw ups cost me 1-2 more zeros.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Name
Steve Lawrence
We give these certificates to schools, too. I always list the city it is good for, no high-rise or inconvenient access and job must be performed M-F during business hours. CYA boy here.

jcooper

Name
Jerry Cooper
It's not just the drive, It's downtown Chi. there simply is no parking in her area or anywhere in the actual city(downtown) for that matter.

Five hours of work for a hundred dollar gift cert. makes no sense. We will offer her, Richards idea(thanks again.) or simply give her a hundred bucks.

It's our bad, whatever it takes to make her happy.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
Ditka ain't from Topeka, he'll cost a whole lot more than a hundred.

Waldo will do it for change though :shifty:

Or even better. Send Mardie.

Becker

Name
Becker
Go down clean it, and give her $100.00..... Then you'll be sure to never make that mistake again.

Last edited:

SamIam

Name
sam miller
I think if you raffle a $100 cleaning at a local school there obviously limits to how far You travel. If we were to travel an hour and a half our minimum would be a $300.00 and if there's a touch up needed Your screwed!

So to think I can buy a raffle a hour and a half away when Your donating the cleaning is absurd. Your cost on the cleaning is $50.00 tops so offer her that and if she gifts to someone local honor the full value.

But no way would I get hustled into driving that far, now Your out half a days pay too from driving. Your cost of being a good guy tripled!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Reactions: KevinL

KevinL

Supportive Member
Name
Kevin Leach
Definitely do as Richard said. Don't even get guilted into going that far. What was she thinking when she took it from that far away. Pay her what she paid for it and let her give it to someone in your area.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
if you stretch yor hose across a sidewalk in downtown Chicago...
don forget the camcorder so you can show us all the frivolous slip and falls...as a result..........

Last edited:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
since I'M the one in charge of entertainment in the RR.....
i feel that we'd ALL get a good laugh outta it!

Name
Steve Lawrence
She only got a $100 credit. Maybe your minimum job requirement for downtown Chicago is $600 so she'll have to cough up some more to redeem it. Perhaps that's a bargaining chip.

Please keep us posted. Interesting dilemma.

mirf

Supportive Member
Name
David Mirfin
If you do not do it or send the money she may complain to the group that held the raffle in your area. What did the cert. look like?

Back
Top Bottom