Huge tile job

hogjowl

Idiot™
IMG_1414.JPG For me, anyway. We cleaned 3200 s.f. of this. ^^

It had grout haze all over it. I didn't know how to approach it, so I called Mikey and got the scoop. It turned out great. THANK YOU BUCKET HEAD!!!

I elected not to call Saiger, because I really needed to get it done before dark.

D Luke

Supportive Member
Name
Derek
View attachment 18887 For me, anyway. We cleaned 3200 s.f. of this. ^^

It had grout haze all over it. I didn't know how to approach it, so I called Mikey and got the scoop. It turned out great. THANK YOU BUCKET HEAD!!!

I elected not to call Saiger, because I really needed to get it done before dark.

Is a ladder the secret to success in big tile floor jobs?

I knew I've been missing something.

Reactions: Willy P

BIG WOOD

MLPW
Name
Matt w.
Tile installers just wipe the grout with a wet sponge with just water to get it off. Why couldn't you just get a wet white pad and a 4-500 psi plain rinse to get it off?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Would vinegar work ? It's an acid. Spray on and bonnet off?

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
Sometimes installers (and especially do it yourself types) use a broadaxe to smear the grout around. This blurry picture shows one that actually looked like dog poop. I had to use a concrete brightener (phosphoric mix acid) to soften the grout and work it down by hand, as a pad would have torn itself up.
IMG_0428.JPG
IMG_0429.JPG

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Old Coastie

Supportive Member
Name
Stephen
A non-cementatious grout would be even more fun. There, you'd want fantastic site-to-exterior ventilation (explosion proof fan and flexible ducting) and use acetone or xylol to dissolve the cured epoxy or vinyl grout.

I once had to curtain off adjacent spaces with plastic thoroughly taped down, then open an exterior door. I used a rubber trash can with the bottom cut off and a large box fan blowing air into an opening in the plastic to provide positive ventilation, forcing clean air into the space to displace the fumes. I did not have an explosion proof fan and did not feel like burning up the house and what's left of my hair.

Use an appropriate respirator, no matter what you do. It can be a big deal.

Reactions: BIG WOOD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom