Hurricane Work

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Anyone in NJ / NY areas that were hit hard out in the trenches -

Have a good bit of gear and a contractor contact wanting to partner up. I am thinking about packing it up and heading east to do so.

What's the word on

Fuel availability
Hotel availability
Power availability
Rentals availability

Most importantly, are the trenches swarming with service providers or is there still more need than available providers?

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Bronx and Westchester county, not much storm damage, but many areas still without power. Gas VERY spotty.
Forget about Manhattan.
The real of concern in NY 3 is Long Island, which is a fooking mess. Saltwater up to several miles inland. South shore destroyed. 85 percent of Nassau and Suffolk County without power and gas. No one being let into most residential neighborhoods without identification, especially after dark. Utility restoration going to be very slow due to the sheer numbers alone. Out on the island, it's basic survival mode at the moment, I'm not sure there is much restoration going on.
Same for Staten Island, and the Jersey shore, which looks even worse.
I honestly don't think the shock has worn off yet.
Right now the main problems are the vast number of areas with no power, areas off limits due to gas leaks, and the gasoline issues. From what I hear, the gasoline issues should begin to clear up this week in most areas that have power already, but the power/utility issues can still be weeks. There's a lot of gasoline just sitting in the ground, but with no power, the pumps won't work.
I can't see too much restoration going on until both these issues are mostly resolved. Other than that, I'm sure there is going to be enough work for everyone, for a very long time.
I would think that the closer you get to the destroyed areas, the harder it would be to find accommodations, so that would mean more driving, which would mean more gas, so I would wait until the gasoline issue is resolved before moving on anything.
It's really a sobering experience to see what has happened.
The Northeast/Tri-State area has been some what "Invincible" for a long time, so something of this magnitude is really a shock.

Reactions: Mikey P

Mikey P

Administrator
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo

Heartbreaking.

Things may also get worse before they get better.
My area is mainly experiencing gasoline issues, and with that alone, there is a strange feeling of uncertainty as to what tomorrow will hold. It is a constant topic of discussion as everyone strategizes about how they will find gas, and discuss expired rumors about stations that have gas or are expecting a shipment soon.
It's kind of crazy.
Now we only need gas to fuel our cars to get around.
I can imagine the fear of searching for gas if I was trying to keep a generator running to power my house for basic survival, which is going on across vast areas. Only a matter of time before a loud running generator in your yard becomes a big target on your back.
No electricity, no cooking gas, and no gasoline can make for a dangerous urban landscape, already in shambles.
Tonight is also the first of a string of cold nights around here.
Us New Yawka's and Jersey folk are a tough bunch, but there is a limit to what the human spirit can take amidst such frustration.
To make matters worse, it looks like there is another storm headed into the Northeast mid week.
So to anyone looking to head over here and find work, I would STRONGLY recommend waiting until things are somewhat more stabilized than what they are now, again gasoline first, and utilities second.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Frank I hope they get some fuel over to you soon before it does get worse and survial instincts take over. That would be so much worse, I would think "they" whom ever is in charge would be working to avoid that.

Hang in there!

Mikey P

Administrator
Frank

Im assuming your home has power?

are you getting on MB through your phone?

Is there anything the group here can do to help?

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
My guy has contacts in the Hamptons and Long Island areas. They have all said the same thing, gas, power - and because I don't have a stock of genny's nor a gas truck - I am going to sit back for a few more days.

My guy goes back east tomorrow - and I am having him line up work ahead of my heading out, solves many if not all the big items on my pre-leave list.

Probably going to rent a large RV regardless of the hotel situation - I want to stay as close to the areas we plant flags in as possible.

I heard a great many utility contractors were turned away in New Jersey because they weren't union.......

Wondering what trades that's going to affect.

Name
Al
I received a call from someone that needed big equipment to dry out a hospital in New York, not sure where. They wanted 50% of the equipment price for a finders fee and another 20% for permits, licenses, and unions. I am still at home in South Carolina.

Al Bradham
DisasterCare

Reactions: Mark Saiger

Goomer

Name
Frank Mendo
Frank

Im assuming your home has power?

are you getting on MB through your phone?

Is there anything the group here can do to help?

Your offer of assistance is greatly appreciated, but for themost part, my immediate area has been spared the worst. I’m sure that if therewas anything I needed, that I would be able to count on the members here that makeup this board.
I lost power intermittently during the storm, but made itthrough without a complete loss. Seems that any outages around my immediate areaare localized to only a few square blocks. Basically it was a long night of 50-60 mph sustained and 90 mph gusts.
Geographically speaking……..
View attachment 850

The Bronx is the only borough of NYC that is actually part of the mainland. Every other borough of the city is exposed to the ocean, which was their vulnerability here.

View attachment 851

You can see how the south shore of Long Island, together with the Jersey Shore make a natural funnel, which drove a large part of the storm surge right into Staten Island (Labeled "Richmond" here). From what I hear, most of Staten Island is destroyed, as well as anything that faced the ocean, and it's immediate interior.

90 percent of business are up and running where I am. It's the gas situation that has everyone on edge, and scrambling for a advantage over everyone else. It's taking an average 1-3 hours to get to a pump...granted you actually make it there before the station runs out. Any station that has, or is expecting gas, is practically under police control.
It's really a surreal sight, and an odd feeling. I guess the feeling is vulnerability, and the realization of how dependent we are on things we really have no control over, and how close to the "edge" we may actually be.
From what I heard tonight, it seems more stations are begging to receive regular shipments, and a major pipeline supplying bulk fuel to transfer stations in NYC is on-line again and at 100 percent capacity, so everyone is hoping for the best.
It's really odd, being used to a city that never misses a beat,.....always the same tempo.....to see it so awry.
Can't even get a pizza delivered because no one wants to drive. When you can't get a pizza delivered to you in NYC, you know something is seriously wrong.

No matter my problems at the moment, in no way do they compare to the anguish that is going on in other parts of the city. I am counting my blessings that my family and myself have a roof over our heads, and warm homes to sleep in.
There has never been such destruction, so close, before. It's strange, but seeing destruction as such, in some other part of the country, is very different than a seeing it, and realizing that it is a mere 20 minute drives distance from you.
Knowing that it's so close, you can almost feel the anguish in the air.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mikey P

Administrator
http://www.kennethelamb.com/ • 5 hours ago −
I was wondering how long it would be before the shock overcame the awe. I've chased 38 hurricanes over the past 18 years for NYC's biggest paper, and for the largest paper in SE FL; been in the eye of 30 of them. So please take this with the experience I have while writing about this topic.

Bloomberg was another Nagin with his completely unrealistic predictions about when things would "get back to normal." Christie is following in his footsteps.

Nagin said New Orleans would be up and running in 90 days. Bloomberg had the transit system running in "2 or 3 days," - that's by tomorrow! - and the electrical up in "3 to 5 days," an equally delusional prediction.

Christie is talking about recovery as a day-by-day metaphor; he obviously has no idea of the magnitude of his state's disaster.

Why do they tell such lies? Don't they understand they are going to do nothing but infuriate the their residents, and destroy their own reputation? Did they learn nothing from Katrina and Nagin's foolishness?

Apparently not a single thing. And the disillusioned citizens will express themselves with unbridled anger.

You people are a combination of Ivan and Katrina. If you want the Real World of what to expect, read up on them. The pictures of your area could substitute for the devastation photographed in Pensacola from Ivan, and Mississippi and Louisiana from Katrina. It will take years to rebuild. More than you can now expect will never be rebuilt.

I am, like many of you, amazed at the cold, callous, judgment of Bloomberg about the Marathon and other priorities. You have people who are beyond destitute - and the top priority is not them. It is taking care of his fellow banksters and Wall Streeters; the everyday people be damned.

Let me give you the Reality Check that Bloomberg, et al. won't give you:
1) It will be at least two weeks before you are done rescuing people. You'll know it's over when they go from people sniffing dogs, to cadaver sniffing dogs;
2) You'll be lucky if you have electricity restored everywhere in two weeks; don't be surprised if some areas are out for nearly a month.;
3) As supplies of food and fuel disappear, it's going to get violent;
4) As the police begin to drop out from their 80-hours shifts, the looters will be out - look for the National Guard or US Army to finally restore order;
5) The insurance companies are going to withhold every penny they can from you - the truth is they don't have the funds to pay out what it will cost to pay off policies. I'm sure incredible numbers of people don't have flood insurance because they never thought it would ever flood, a la New Orleans - so those people will be financially wiped out. Even those who do get insurance money will soon find that the money they get won't let them build up to the new code requirements, so they are finished as well. Expect the insurance companies to be merciless;
6) Price gouging will be widespread as supplies dwindle;
7) Rebuilding will take years because of a) lack of people to do the work, and b) lack of money to pay for it - see the remark about the lack of flood insurance to understand why;
8) Some will never rebuild, a la New Orleans and Pensacola;
9) Drug and alcohol abuse will skyrocket, and with them domestic and street violence as people find no other outlet to dissipate stress and depression;
10) The use of mental health facilities, and stress related illnesses will also skyrocket, putting major demands on money for medical and prescription costs;
11) Bankruptcy of cities, townships, counties, and maybe even the state will become the only way out for over-burdened governments;
12) Bankruptcy will also sweep through all the marginal businesses in the area - they won't survive the timeline that they need to restore cash flow - and you can count on the banksters to do absolutely nothing to help them. The banksters aren't about to lend out the money they can write to themselves as multimillion dollar bonuses.

That's the top of the list for you. It's the Real World that you about to live. There is no easy way out - only the toughest will survive - the rest will end up dead from the stress, from suicide, from drug overdoses, or simply move away unable to cope with the devastation.

I pray for every one of you. There is no way to sugarcoat what you are about to experience. May God, or the Goddess, or your Higher Power, or whatever you believe exerts influence over your life, be merciful to you.

You are only beginning to experience Hell on Earth."

is this guy a fear monger or is he right on?

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
little fear in there...

but sounds about right....

The difference....we may continue to see coverage of this...unlike in the dirty south....

think about how long it would take to pump out those tunnels 12' or taller by what 3 or more lanes wide:dejection:

plus i heard (and if you think about the combo, of salt water, steel and electricity) they have to gut and redo those subways:eekk:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom