Hydramaster CDS 4.8 Clutch Pully

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Well, my 1998 Lima Bean Special makes a screeching sound from the clutch pulley for the PTO that is mounted on the engine. To quiet it down I sprinkle a little Bar Keepers Friend on the pulley and that works for a day or two. I'm not going to keep sprinkling this stuff on there, I need to fix this. I'm not sure I got the correct part but I ordered a new electric clutch pulley from NAPA online Part #TEM 948435. It was $179. SteamBrite wanted double that. Anyway, I'm kinda guessing that this is the correct part. Can anyone help me out for sure? My van is a 1998 RamVan 2500 with a CDS 4.8 installed. @FredC , @Pioneer Floorcare

1636252620759.png

Last edited:

hogjowl

Idiot™
I was having constant problems with my Cleanco needing a new belt every three or four months. Both vans. My mechanic put a slightly larger pulley in ( like 2 mm) and haven’t heard a squeak out of it since.

Reactions: Nomad74

Rob Grady

Name
Rob Grady
I was having constant problems with my Cleanco needing a new belt every three or four months. Both vans. My mechanic put a slightly larger pulley in ( like 2 mm) and haven’t heard a squeak out of it since.
You should verify that your driveshaft bearings are in good working condition, while you have the clutch off for replacement.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
My cleanco uses a Pitts clutch #14194 100 foot pounds
The trick with squeeking belts is when you change them is to use a small wire brush and brush the metal grooves in the pulleys to get out the rubber stuck in there.
In my case it isn’t the belt that is squeaking. Its the bearing in the pulley.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
And everytime you replace the belt turn the clutch so you don't put wear on the same place

KevinD

Name
Kevin Dumas
Yes they do, they hide the part number so you're forced to buy from them. But after some digging it looks to be a standard GM electric clutch that is used on their a/c systems. It looks like what is mounted on the engine of my Dodge.
Hide it? Back in the early days they would grind all the part numbers off before assembly.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Clean all the pulley surfaces(not just the clutch) and replace the belt before you get into replacing the clutch. I don't see how applying Bar Keepers Friend would do anything if it were the clutch.

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Clean all the pulley surfaces(not just the clutch) and replace the belt before you get into replacing the clutch. I don't see how applying Bar Keepers Friend would do anything if it were the clutch.
You guys really aren't mechanical are you? Do you ever add graphite to a squeaky door? Are you familiar with how a bearing works?
This is how I "Fix" the squeak. I fold a small piece of paper in half. I then pour a couple of ounces of Bar Keepers into the fold. I then line the paper up with the crack of the pulley and flick it into the bearing. It stops the queek for about a day. I guess the previous owner did this all the time but for me it's not an option. I want it fixed. I'm replacing the pulley. The problem isn't the belt slipping, it's a bearing. Replacing belts (Which I already did) and cleaning pulleys isn't going to fix this.

Shane T

Name
Shane Tiegs
Go ahead and replace the clutch then and be sure to report back how that works out for you. I've been wrong before but why would you want start with the hardest thing. It's going to need a new belt anyway.

Name
Jeff T
My cleanco uses a Pitts clutch #14194 100 foot pounds
The trick with squeeking belts is when you change them is to use a small wire brush and brush the metal grooves in the pulleys to get out the rubber stuck in there.
Post of the day right there for DD’s… EXACTLY what fixed the squeal on my van…
Apparently, Chev/ GMC hate having dirty pulleys. After they were cleaned properly, not a single issue… they like to run CLEAN!!!

Reactions: Lee Stockwell

Nomad74

Boy Sprout
Go ahead and replace the clutch then and be sure to report back how that works out for you. I've been wrong before but why would you want start with the hardest thing. It's going to need a new belt anyway.
Sorry If I seemed a bit snippy there. I've had my head under the hood for hours trying to isolate the noise and narrowed it down to the bearing. Already replaced the belt. Not the belt or Pulleys. Hopefully it's an easy fix. It looks pretty simple to remove the clutch pulley. I've got both vans booked out with jobs for the next three weeks solid so I need this fixed fast. IF I can't get it done, I guess I'll just keep giving it cocaine bumps ( Barkeepers friend)

Reactions: Shane T

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Sorry If I seemed a bit snippy there. I've had my head under the hood for hours trying to isolate the noise and narrowed it down to the bearing. Already replaced the belt. Not the belt or Pulleys. Hopefully it's an easy fix. It looks pretty simple to remove the clutch pulley. I've got both vans booked out with jobs for the next three weeks solid so I need this fixed fast. IF I can't get it done, I guess I'll just keep giving it cocaine bumps ( Barkeepers friend)
3 weeks booked? Wait until you can afford for it to be down for a minute. Why take a chance on making it worse and not having the unit available. 🤔

Last edited:
Reactions: BIG WOOD
Back
Top Bottom