hydroxyl generators

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Who here uses them and what for? What kind of results have you had?
Thanks al

rwcarpet

Supportive Member
Name
Robert Hodge
Who here uses them and what for? What kind of results have you had?
Thanks al

I,too, would like to know what the difference is between hydroxyl generators and ozone generators. Would either one take the shoppy, mildewy smell from new clothing?

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
HG's put out a minute amount of ozone. They take 5 times as long as a 3 gram per hr ozone gen but are safe for occupants. well, I am going with that anyways.
Al

Mark Saiger

Mr Happy!
Name
Mark Saiger
i use one is slower but safer and can be used with people around it. Has been very popular with my adjusters and clients. There have still been sometimes i will pound an area with ozone and then keep hydroxyl running later to fianalize. Another good option to have. Also have been running the odorkleenz filters in air scrubbers. Another helping tool.

Mark Saiger

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
I had forgot about hydroxl generators. We have an upper end town home complex we work with. Sometimes the residents smoke inside even when they're not suppose to. Everything gets washed down and deodorized. There have been a few instances the new tenants still complain of smoke smell and we've used the S.O.S. Cartridges because we don't want to inconvenience the tenants to vacate.

Typically how long do you guys have to run the HG's for them to get your desired results?

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Now this is just my personal opinion so please no lawsuits from the Hydroxyl crowd.

It's pure bullshit to me! A lot of pseudo science played on a bunch of restorers.

Operating the unit while people are occupying the area sounds extremely risky. To me I still smell a low level of Ozone:frown: .

Who is responsible if and when someone screams they are feeling sick from your machine.:eekk:

My experience has been it's slow to ineffective. It takes longer than Ozone to do it's job and is more expensive to operate. Who wins on this? Not the homeowner, not the insurance company....you and the Hydroxyl salesman. :icon_neutral:

Ozone is not safe to use when occupied but works faster and works well. Just air the space out before it's reoccupied.

RW ozone should be fine to use in small doses. Run it a few hours and smell the clothes, if they still have an odor run it longer. The concern is elastic and natural rubber in wrist and waist bands they can take a small amount of expose but too much will degrade the rubber and damage the clothing. Ozone also does not penetrate
well so don't pack the too close together, use a small fan to help distribute the gas.

Hydroxcel.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Thanks for the reply Richard. Hope you are wrong because I just bought one. Trying to get the people out of the house for Ozone is just too difficult sometimes. I am going to do some testing and will report back.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Al,
I'm never wrong.

Well ok, now and then........ok frequently if you ask my wife.:icon_razz:

Can you take it back? :cry:

We fooled around with one for a couple of weeks, it seemed like an underpowered Ozone unit. I ran it here in the office and I swear I could smell ozone and makes me a little light headed. So did the Hydroxyl.

If you use it in occupied space I'd at least let them know if it bothers them how to turn it off and if they need an airmover to call you.

I agree it is difficult if not impossible to displace the insureds. I'd do as Mark passively does and use the OdorKlenz cartridge with an airscrubber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
Well, I ran it for 20 hours (they recommend more like 4 days) in my office that smells like cigar smoke. It is 12x16x10. Smell was 100% gone. We don't do many fires but I hope we get one before the 30 days is up to return it. I did not smell any ozone but it was only 20 hours. Going to give it a try on some urine rugs next week.
Al

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Thats great Al! I hope it works fof you. Im suprised you can't smell the ozone.???

Ozone doesnt work on urine, it works best for incompete burning of hydrocarbons. The ozone finishes the oxidation process. I dont think the Hydroxyl generator will fare much better on urine.

Able 1

Name
Keith
it works best for incompete burning of hydrocarbons.

Um, so what odors does ozone work best for; curry, smoke? What ozone unit is the best and where can I get it for the best deal? I usually rent the ozone unit locally, but would like to buy one soon..

PS. Sorry about your Bears! Well not really!:lol:

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
I am going to give it a go but I have low expectations on urine. The salesman at connections mentioned it is helpful as ozone is but I have had poor success with ozone on urine also.
Al
ps This is a Titan unit. Same as the one you tried?

Jim Bethel

Name
Jim Bethel
Hey Rich,

There was a mob at Connections that had one of their competitors units operating and on display in and enclosed box, along with their version too. Depending on the brand you tried previously, your nose wasn't fooling you (according to this demo in front of everyone) as one of the unis WAS putting out ozone and the other brand wasn't. Quite effective marketing if you ask me as to what brand I would purchase. Did you see that demo Al?

Name
Shawn Forsythe
I would not use an effective HG in an inhabited structure. That being said, I think a good ozone generator will outperform any HG. The goal of the HG is to produce oxidizer substances, just in an altered fashion and degree to that of an ozone unit. While there are some HG units that produce little or no ozone, they all produce substances that act upon living beings in the same manner. Reactive Oxygen Species, of which Ozone is as well, all oxidize organic substances to perform of the task deodorization for the restorer. The differences between ozone and other ROS's, are less than the similarities, as to the detrimental effects. It is more a matter of degree.

This doesn't mean I am against HG and Ozone, I just think that structures should be abandoned during treatment, and the most effect means ought to be used.

http://www.adjusterinsightsonline.com/article21.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom