Hypro Pump

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
I ran my Hypro out of oil today and it was making a ticking sound after I added oil it seemed to be fine. I had the water side rebuilt this summer and I did not change the oil side because the guy said the oil sides rarely go bad. It was leaking oil thats why I took it in. Well apparently its still leaking on the oil side. I finished my job and it seemed ok. Is the pump ok?

Golden Boy

Name
Lee Stockwell
Just drain the oil into a transparent container, looking for water (or milky water emulsion) and metal particles.

Refill with new oil. Pump will be ok for a while, but get plan B ready within a few days.

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Its about a 500 dollar pump should i have the oil side seals changed I put a 150 bucks into the water side this summer. Or should I just get a new pump. The pump is probaly 7 years old.

Golden Boy

Becker

Name
Becker
1st of all..

You ran your pump out of oil..

Lets break it down.

I don't know a lot about pumps.
But mine does not burn or otherwise consumer oils.
So where did the oil go?

Sounds like it might be pumping water OK for now.

But the answer is.

IMO.

If the pump is consuming oil there is a problem..

John Watson

Jest change the seals cause their leaking and double check bearings. might want to use a syn oil or one of those high milage oils that fills the wear grooves. If you spent more time checking stead of stroken your waldo--------------------

Goldenboy

Name
Mike Waldron
Becker I think the pump is leaking oil maybe a slow leak.. Do you think the oil is going in the water side?

Golden Boy

Charlie Lyman

Supportive Member
Name
Charlie Lyman
My pump was leaking oil. I took it apart and simply replaced the seals. It is not hard to do. What kind of pump/ machine is it?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Few Hypro pumps are worth $500, for that money you could get a really good pump with run-dry (for hours) seals and the ability to handle over 200 deg. water. I got a General Emperor for that.

Oil is cheap, seals are cheap. Change often and as needed.

You may have damaged the bearings, but if it spins without leaking badly or squalling now...you are just lucky.

I put a 1/2" dia. clear line about 12" long on my drain plug with the end UP from the pump. Makes it easier to keep up with the oil level and condition. Did I mention oil is cheap?

Name
Lee Stockwell
Oil doesn't get in the water because it isn't pressurized and therefore goes the other way. Water however IS pressurized and if a seal is bad water gets into the oil, or both leak out to the atmosphere around the shaft or thru the cap vent.

John Watson

On my Jem those clear hoses are connected to both pump and blower to show oil levels at all times on front panel of my machine...If internal seals fail it will show the milky fluid too. I have often wondered why other machine manfactors didn't use such a simple system. Makes it so easy to drain and change oils. So clean you don't spill a drop draining it. Easy to fill to make sure you get the right amount..

curt johnson

Name
Curt Johnson
In my top 25 opinion I would just run the shit out of the leaking pump until it finally dies then be forced to over-spend on a new one altogether. This type of preventitive maintenence is what has led me to a perenial top 25 ranking and loads of monetary success.

GeneMiller

Name
gene miller
In my top 25 opinion I would just run the shit out of the leaking pump until it finally dies then be forced to over-spend on a new one altogether.
murphy's law was created for just that kind of thinking.

gene

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Stepping over dollars to pick up pennies is a risky game to play. How much will you lose if it turns out bad? 2-3 days of work if you have to order a pump or more? How much will that cost you plus the pump isn't going to go out before you start your next job it will wait until you've pre-sprayed.

I had this same conversation about the heater we put into this last trailer we finished Wednesday. Owner asked why he should spend the extra 100 for the 5 brick instead of the 3. TW asked him how much he thought it was going to cost if he only froze the RX-20's and drag wands and hoses in the back of the trailer but the machine was fine. He got the 5 brick heater.......

Back
Top Bottom