I am an Ogre for wanting to be open on July 3rd?

John Olson

Name
John Olson
Lora thinks i'm being a big meanie for saying the 3rd isn't a holiday so we will be open.

So who agrees with her or who thinks since it isn't a holiday everyone should be at work.

Name
I'm Rick James
Americans put in more hours at work than any other nation, surpassing even the workaholic Japanese. We average nine more weeks of labor per year than our working counterparts in Western Europe, who get at least 20 paid days of vacation each year.

Finland tops the list of vacation-supporting industrialized nations with 30 paid vacation days per year after the first year of work, plus 14 paid national holidays, according to a July 2007 report from the Center for Economic and Policy Research. (This is in addition to the possibility that the country might soon grant "love holidays" so that some couples can rekindle passions and have kids.)

Canada and Japan are near the bottom of that list, with a legal minimum of 10 vacation days, while the United States has the dubious distinction of being the only industrialized nation that does not have a mandatory minimum of vacation time. In fact, out of the world's 195 independent countries, 137 have some kind of vacation/annual leave legislation in place.

Medical and poll-based evidence indicates that we seriously need relief. Work-related stress can lead to sudden heart attacks, obesity, anxiety and depression. A World Health Organization and Harvard Medical School study last year put the United States at the top of the list of depressed (or otherwise mentally disordered) countries, while the Gallup Daily Happiness-Stress Index finds that the only consistent upswing in mood occur when Americans get some time off on the weekends or holidays.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
I don't think you are an ogre John. We will be open on the 3rd and the 5th. We only close on the actual holiday for all of them and even for a couple of those we may be open for a retail sale. I couldn;t even imagine closing and losing 200+ transactions.

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
paid friday and saturday? we do pay our an extra day when it falls on a weekend regardless of whether they are scheduled to work or not.

I agree with the wife on this one John.

However, consider this.....
I believe that working on 3rd and NOT using the time to simply increase the celebration of our AWESOME very costly freedom, will allow terrorism to WIN.

Or check this out.... I read this week...
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fourdayweek

Oh by the way, a lot of banks are closing on the 3rd as well.
Now, the paid thing I don't know....

John Olson

Name
John Olson
No matter what some of my customers and employees might think ...WE ARE NOT A BANK..

Lora Olson

If the 4th was on Friday, it would be a paid holiday. So, if the 4th is a weekend, and they get the 3rd off, then the 3rd should be a paid holiday.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni

it will depend how buried we are.... rather, whether it "has to be done" or not.
Otherwise, it will be optional if Shane or Cody wants to work or not

..L.T.A.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
should be either Monday after or Friday before off if not it should be the way Ken does it.

Brent you should give credit when you plagiarize someone

Brents article by
by Silja J.A. Talvi

Lora Olson

Ken Snow said:
paid friday and saturday? we do pay our an extra day when it falls on a weekend regardless of whether they are scheduled to work or not.

Oh, we're not open on Saturday, so it would be just ONE paid day off.

Name
I'm Rick James
Matt Murdock said:
should be either Monday after or Friday before off if not it should be the way Ken does it.

Brents article by
by Silja J.A. Talvi

Yeah no shit. How else you think I got those facts about america being the most overworked nation in the world.

For Greg,

Headline:

Overworked, Vacation-Starved America Ranks #1 in Depression, Mental Health Problems

http://www.dare-to-dream.us/archives/20 ... n_depr.php

Author:
Silja J.A. Talvi is an investigative journalist and the author of Women Behind Bars: The Crisis of Women in the U.S. Prison System.

Footnote:
This piece was originally written for In These Times, a national, monthly magazine based in Chicago.

Date:

Month:
Unknown

Day:
Unknown

Chicago-not sure if she wrote it at home or in the office.

Hope this helps out.

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Since I've been in the supply business since rugs were beat on a closeline, I can say that July 3rd will be a VERY slow day for carpet cleaning supply purchases. I'll probably give all but one or two people the day off.

But we can't afford to close on a non holiday, especially with restorer's emergeny needs in mind.

The most our employees can get is to use it as one of their paid vacation days, but not a paid holiday.

Oh and yes Laura, John is an ogre. But he's more of a nice ogre like Shrek.

Just be glad he isn't Ebenezer Scrooge like I am. I never understood how he lost his mind and went bad at the end of that story....... :lol:

hogjowl

Idiot™
If you'd kept her in the kitchen, where she belongs, you wouldn't have to listen to her left-wing, liberal do-good-ism.

Tell em if they want to be paid, then get there a$$ to work.

truckmount girl

1800greenglides
Name
Lisa Smith
Depends. How much is morale, employee loyalty, good will and karma worth to you?

It's been my experience that everything you give comes back to you.

Take care,
Lisa

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Sometimes Marty sounds frightenly like my father; it must come from growing up as poor farmer's sons.

I'll try to remember your advice Lisa.

I just find that not all the world is inhabited by the good and the fair minded dear friend.

Not that I'm becoming bitter or anything....... :wink:

steve frasier

Supportive Member
Name
steve frasier
Depends. How much is morale, employee loyalty, good will and karma worth to you?

It's been my experience that everything you give comes back to you.

Take care,
Lisa

I feel the same way, some things are really more important

it would be a paid holiday for me and I would pay them extra if they wanted to work
local suppliers usually work a half day around here, they would post a sign for several days prior to let customers know

I wouldn't think the Ken wouldn't lose that many customers if the shop was closed, people understand. He could easily work it into his advertising if that is what he chose to do.

many local restuarants here that have a family tradition here close on the holidays and they let loyal customers know they are family and have many hard working employees that deserve the time off

but I will be working my fireworks stand and everyone will be there :shock: :lol:

I feel that in the end you would man the shop yourself and let the workers take an unpaid day or a vacation day

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
We will be closed Friday Saturday & Sunday, with the exception of the On Call crew.

Money is money and if you think you would do enough business to make it worth being open, then I would do so.

But if you think it's going to be slow, why not take the day off.

Just warn your customers and enjoy the time with the family!

joey895

Supportive Member
Name
Joey J.
Personally I think July 4 should be a paid day off IF a company can afford it. July 3rd is NOT a holiday. If business was slow I'd certainly be willing to close early onn the 3rd but you can bet we'd be open at least till after lunch.

On a side note I can't believe that someone would suggest FORCING a company to give ANY number of paid days off. Someone like that must think that an unemployment rate in the mid to high teens is a good thing.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Brent said:
Matt Murdock said:

Brents article by
by Silja J.A. Talvi

Yeah no shit. How else you think I got those facts about america being the most overworked nation in the world.

For Greg,

Headline:

Overworked, Vacation-Starved America Ranks #1 in Depression, Mental Health Problems

Author:
Silja J.A. Talvi is an investigative journalist and the author of Women Behind Bars: The Crisis of Women in the U.S. Prison System.

Footnote:
This piece was originally written for In These Times, a national, monthly magazine based in Chicago.

Date:

Month:
Unknown

Day:
Unknown

Hope this helps out.

Yea but, Your a chronic plagiarizer. You never credit for any of the info you Quote on this blog. :p

Name
I'm Rick James
everfresh1 said:
Brent said:
Matt Murdock said:

Brents article by
by Silja J.A. Talvi

For Greg,

Headline:

Author:

Footnote:

Date:

Month:
Unknown

Day:
Unknown

Hope this helps out.

Yea but, Your a chronic plagiarizer. You never credit for any of the info you Quote on this blog. :p

Yes I do copy and paste when discussing facts about a subject, usually a bird room discussion. Everyone here has done it and the only time it gets mentioned where it was from is if it was included with the copy and paste. Funny it gets brought up now. Go look in the bird room as see all the copy and paste going on during the discussions and from who.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
everfresh1 said:
Brent said:
Matt Murdock said:

Brents article by
by Silja J.A. Talvi

For Greg,

Headline:

Author:

Footnote:

Date:

Month:
Unknown

Day:
Unknown

Hope this helps out.

Yes I do copy and paste when discussing facts about a subject, usually a bird room discussion. Everyone here has done it and the only time it gets mentioned where it was from is if it was included with the copy and paste. Funny it gets brought up now.[/quote]

Actually, I was going to bring it up before but, I just figured you did want it known what liberal leaning articles, websights and so called experts you were quoting from on the Obama threads. :wink:

Name
I'm Rick James
quote]

Actually, I was going to bring it up before but, I just figured you did want it known what liberal leaning articles, websights and so called experts you were quoting from on the Obama threads. :wink:[/quote]

I really have no one website or news media I go to for all my Obama propaganda or Iraq info. You better go hit up Joey about his latest copy and paste in the bird room.

everfresh1

Name
Jamie Cohen
Brent said:
quote]

Actually, I was going to bring it up before but, I just figured you did want it known what liberal leaning articles, websights and so called experts you were quoting from on the Obama threads. :wink:

I really have no one website or news media I go to for all my Obama propaganda or Iraq info. You better go hit up Joey about his latest copy and paste in the bird room.[/quote]

:eek: At least you admit it's propaganda got give you credit for that.

Name
I'm Rick James
everfresh1 said:
Brent said:
quote]

I really have no one website or news media I go to for all my Obama propaganda or Iraq info. You better go hit up Joey about his latest copy and paste in the bird room.

:eek: At least you admit it's propaganda got give you credit for that.[/quote]

Sorry Obama muslim propaganda.

packfancjh

Name
Chris Hagen
We will be closed on Friday but we give our customers plenty of notice about closing on holidays and most of my customers have a way to get a hold of me in emergencies after hours.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom