I am an Ogre for wanting to be open on July 3rd?

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Yes I do copy and paste when discussing facts about a subject

There is a difference between piecing facts together and stealing entire articles. You steal verbatim and act like you wrote it. When you cut and paste entire articles just cut a little higher to the author.

truckmount girl said:
Depends. How much is morale, employee loyalty, good will and karma worth to you?

It's been my experience that everything you give comes back to you.

Take care,
Lisa

Amen to that read my sig...

Ken Snow said:
I don't think you are an ogre John. We will be open on the 3rd and the 5th. We only close on the actual holiday for all of them and even for a couple of those we may be open for a retail sale. I couldn;t even imagine closing and losing 200+ transactions.

Same here..

Ken Snow

RIP
Name
Ken Snow
A days production- 22-25k of location cleaning work can not be recouped. Every ay we are closed is one less day of revenue an income for the workers. Saturday is the holiday and since we are always open on Saturday we will be losing that days production, and will pay all the full time employees for the day. Adding Friday to that is not a smart option for us.

Ken

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
The Christmas season really messed up Kens back. Between the holiday pay and lost revenue he just couldn't sleep right. Hopefully his mattress is back to normal

1-7.jpg

floorguy

Supportive Member
Name
Doug
jsmith8004788908 said:
I agree with the wife on this one John.

However, consider this.....
I believe that working on 3rd and NOT using the time to simply increase the celebration of our AWESOME very costly freedom, will allow terrorism to WIN.

Or check this out.... I read this week...
http://www.alistapart.com/articles/fourdayweek

Oh by the way, a lot of banks are closing on the 3rd as well.
Now, the paid thing I don't know....

Banks CAN NOT be closed 3 days in a row...

so if its a fri or monday they are open sat, because of closed on fri or mon.

steve g

Name
steve garrett
Lora Olson said:
If the 4th was on Friday, it would be a paid holiday. So, if the 4th is a weekend, and they get the 3rd off, then the 3rd should be a paid holiday.

to me that seals the deal, don't hose your employees on a paid holiday. I hated that, the last place I worked for decided to eliminate the july 24th and good friday as holidays, however they still decided to close down for them, so what that meant is you had to use up 2 vacation days to make up for it, so the reality was it was a 4 day swing in days, most people didn't even realize how much they got hosed on that deal, the other thing was the office staff and estimators got paid differently than we did, so it didn't hurt them at all,they are also the ones that were off by 5 every day and with their families on weekends, however the hourly people like myself who commonly worked after hours and was oncall for weekends etc, got the shaft for it.

if you want to be open on the 3rd my suggestion is to offer your employees the option of taking it off and running a limited workforce or letting them come in and make extra money

Lora Olson

That's where I'm coming from Steve. I have had previous employers that have done that to me. I was upper management, and salaried, and worked a LOT of "free" overtime. But when holiday's came on the weekend, I wouldn't get the day off. My time was more important to me than any amount of money.

Now that I am an employer, I don't want to be the type of employer that used to employ me. That's a big part of why we went into this stress of business ownership. We have both worked for previous employers where we cared about their company more than they did. It was time we cared about our own company.

I have a delima at times, that I know exactly what type of employer I DON'T want to be, but I'm still working on the type of employer I DO want to be.

One thing I know for sure, that our long-term, happy, content, appreciated employees know that they are one of the biggest factors in all of us being successful.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
And having happy employees, results in happy customers. You can't have one without the other. John and Lora's customer service as well as hospitality reflect what a great business they've both grown.

We would sometimes get the day off if nothing was scheduled the day before a holiday. Most of the time we worked half a day, and was on call for the remainder.

G

I think if you have jobs scheduled have the employees knock em out asap; if you have to get off your duff lora as well as john and make it happen.

Other wise if you have nothing scheduled; cut the employees a break and work a half day John.

Of course I won't have anyof that stuff; My custy's pay for service; if service falls on a holiday I pay holiday wages and bill holiday prices.

CraigT

Name
Craig Tyler
If it were my business and we're not normally open on Saturdays, if a holiday landed on a Saturday I'd give my employees a paid day off, Friday or Monday (I'd probably let them decide then stay open for both days).

Ron Werner

Name
Ron Werner
Mikey P said:
Do I like I did and marry a JW and you'll never have to worry about this crap ever again
Don't get a birthday, don't get Christmas off, nada!

What happens if it falls on Wed? Do they want Mon/Tues or Thurs/Friday off?? They should take Monday off then so they can recuperate from all the dumbass drinking they'll do on Sat before coming back to work and dragging their asses for day.

Mandatory holidays are for employees. Last time I got a paid day off I was in the navy. BUt then I was on salary, which was based on 365days/yr.

I plan on being open for the 4th, I may even be working on the 1st. At least your day isn't on month end.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom