I know, I know. I should've been doing it. Scotchguard

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I have protector on the truck but I never push it because I am always running to the next job. Yesterday after purchasing some cheap electric sprayers I said to myself I am going to mix some protector and push it..

3 jobs this morning
First Job $176.90 plus 3 rooms Scotchguard $29.95 $206.85
Second Job $145.00 plus 4 Rooms Scotchguard $39.95 $184.95
Third Job $119.95 Large room Scotchguard $19.95 $139.95
Totals $441.85 $89.95 $531.70

One more job this afternoon for $256.90 hopefully I can grab the $79.95 in Scotchguard on that one. What percentage will say no thank you to the Scotchguard and whatother easy upsells do you do?

I upsell upholstery and tile but most is scheduled for a later date because I do not have time.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Greg...is it the real chit or is the old bottleawater trick, that most of ya's use.....i use Tefflon...mysef!

Sorry that you still use that old petro-based product.......!

TimP

Don't sound like you're charging enough Greg.

I use maxim advanced....and it's about the cheapest I've seen on the market. Anyways it costs about 4-5 cents a ft in actual cost if you're putting it down right. Depending on what you're charging per ft you need to sell it for at least 10 cents a ft to make it worth it. Usually the price is supposed to be around 50% of the cleaning price is what I'm told most cleaners charge.

Maxim advance makes 1200 ft of residential carpet per gallon...which it costs about 43 bucks a gallon. If you charge 10 cents that's 120 per gallon minus 43...that's a net of 77 bucks. Not too great of a number when you look at it like that.

Teflon makes 1,000 ft per gallon and it's 41 bucks a gallon. you charge .10 cents that's 100 bucks minus 41.....that's 59 bucks profit per gallon. It don't take long to put down but it seems like at the amount of carpet it seems like you're cleaning you may not be making squat. But without you telling us how many ft you cleaned I can't say for sure.

Anyways I hope you're charging enough.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
I use name brand Scotchguard and Dupont Teflon Bobby Boy. I got a deal on a couple cases and charge about .08-.10 a sq ft

You will never catch me cutting or scrimpming on anything Bob

I paid about $24 a gallon and mixed to spec

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
why am I even defending myself to Bob Vawter the king of homeless shelter cleaning

Bob asked me to share something with you guys. Please be sensitive to his situation it is tough after so many years hiding his feelings
1-7.jpg

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
greg sez:

"the king of homeless shelter cleaning"

DANG...
it DOES have a ring to it......!

I lik that...remember the pic that i showed of it.....it WAS quite a miracle!

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
you could really entice some of them old homeless men for a fin or a sawbuck huh bbobby"King of Homeless Shelter Cleaner" not to be confused with the purple truck

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Purple trucks are aserrt of the ghetto.......'cieds...Ken don use no walk paper...they would beat him wit a broom......

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
It's not rocket science. If you want your SG sales to explode all you have to do is ... ASK! Most carpet cleaners don't which never fails to amaze me since net profit per application will easily run 300.00 per hour and up.

Steve Toburen

PS Applied cost of Scotchgard will run about 3.5 cents per foot. Unless you are a charitable organizatiomn 8 to 10 cents per foot is way too cheap. When I poll our incoming seminar attendees they are averaging .15 per foot. Our goal (using a few simple ideas) is to bump folks up to .20 to .25. For the list of our SG selling techniques just e-mail me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com No charge- no obligation- it is up to you.

TimP

Not hard to sell protector when your price of cleaning is way too low.

TimP

Steve Toburen said:
It's not rocket science. If you want your SG sales to explode all you have to do is ... ASK! Most carpet cleaners don't which never fails to amaze me since net profit per application will easily run 300.00 per hour and up.

Steve Toburen

PS Applied cost of Scotchgard will run about 3.5 cents per foot. Unless you are a charitable organizatiomn 8 to 10 cents per foot is way too cheap. When I poll our incoming seminar attendees they are averaging .15 per foot. Our goal (using a few simple ideas) is to bump folks up to .20 to .25. For the list of our SG selling techniques just e-mail me at stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com No charge- no obligation- it is up to you.

Where are you getting protector that cheap????

Way I have it figured it's 4. + cents

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Tim P;

It's probably a volume price.

At 24 gallons, our Conc. Scotchgard is about 3.1 cents per sq. ft.

The Dynachem water-based fluorochemical is about 2.33 cents/ ft.

The key is to mention the protector, and do the demos.

As your success rate improves, the sales price can increase.

Larry Cobb

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
[quote
Where are you getting protector that cheap????

Way I have it figured it's 4. + cents[/quote]

Gosh, Tim, I guess I get mine from a little place called Jon-Don just because they hire such nice people. www.jondon.com

Island Boy

PS It doesn't matter to us whether you apply Teflon or SG (we frown on the the application of the world famous "Aqua-Gard") or even whether you buy it from the almost-as-nice-people down at Larry's or even from my buddy Scotty W. Just sell it. (However, I will say SG has some important marketing advantages as I mention in the sales tips list I reference above. Yours free for the asking by writing stoburen@homefrontsuccess.com Please put "SG sales Tips" or some other acronym to jog my fading brain cells into action.)

TimP

I just checked Jondon online.

Scotch guard.

1 4 gallon case 177.38 each = 4.435 cents per gallon
3 4 gallons cases 146.52 each = 3.663 cents per gallon
5 4 gallons cases 130.91 each = 3.272 cents

Anyways I'm not into buying 12 gallons at a time..anyways maxim is cheaper at 16 gallons vs 20 gallons at jondon and I prefer maxim due to the lower water volume at rtu. But I see how you got the # now.

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
Tim pull your head out of your arse. It is not a fight or an argument I was just happy I was finally selling some. I get so busy I always give myself no time for upsells. I could have cut from 4 to 3 jobs today and made as much money and filled another day next week. I am using scotchguard because I got a great deal on that and the dupont teflon

Steve I am about to email you for your tips

Chris A

Name
Chris
how many upsells do you lose by not saying " would you like ScotchgArd applied. Maxim may be a better product, but its all about the branding.

TimP

I'm not trying to argue. I was just figuring it out. I don't purchase multiple cases as I don't go through it that fast. Remember I'm in a poor ass area. Some days I sell protector easily some days I can't sell it for the life of me. I've got brochures and everything, I recommend it but some people just aren't spending the cash. I'm doing good to get what I charge for my cleanings....I'm priced right near the top and I know it's that's cheap too. And I sell it for 10-12 cents a ft depending on my mood and how much carpet they have. I know I'm cheap but I get a lot of no's so I don't think I can get more. And I do have plenty of time to do the up sells since I hardly ever book more than 3 jobs in one day. I see no point as I hardly ever have 15 jobs a week....hell last week I only had 3 :shock: but it's my slow time so it's ok I suppose.

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Name
Steve Toburen
"I could have cut from 4 to 3 jobs today and made as much money and filled another day next week."

I couldn't agree more, Greg. In fact, I challenge every SFS class to follow these steps:

1. Raise your SG (or whatever protector you choose) prices by 20%-30%.
2. Train your employees in the low pressure upsell techniques we teach and I share in the list I mention above.
3. Double the bonus you pay your employees on upselling protector.
4. Book one less job per day for each truck, thereby giving your people the time (and the incentive) to sell more protector and other services.

The SFS members who have implemented these steps tell me both they and their employees are making more money, the employees are not burning out and when and if there is an additional job that needs to be fitted in they have eager volunteers in reserve to do it.

Let me know how these ideas work for you, Greg. I'm sending you the SG Sales Tips right now.

Steve

PS Folks, there is no need to get into a peeing contest over which brand of protector to apply. I personally really like SG only because 3-M has invested millions over the years building brand awareness plus Jon-Don has partnered with 3-M to make a wide array of in-the-home marketing stuff available (blotter cards, 4-color brochurse, decals and uniform patches) and all of these things are free. But the tips I share are transferable to any brand of protector.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
In non-scientific surveys of our customers of customers, we have consistently found that people will purchase protector on about 50% of jobs - IF YOU ASK.

Bridgepoint frequently runs a special deal where you get a demo kit free with the purchase of a case of Maxim Advanced. Those who demo Maxim protector at each job tell su they make the sale 75% to 80% of the time. When people can see the value of protector with their own eyes, they are sold.

Scott Warrington

XTREME1

RIP
Name
Greg Crowley
no I don't think I am, I am starting to sell it and learn. I took Craig Jaspers class along time ago but the only time I layed down protector was when asked. So now I am moving into it fully. I average around $650.00 a day in sales and wanted to find a way to put a better cushion on it.

I have a b&tch of a time getting through my day so it is tough to upsell. I have to drop the kids off at 8:00 and pick up at 3:30 each day

Becker

Name
Becker
But you clean and vac much like Happy Ron?

I need to find myself a time machine!

raise the price so you can make a profit off it.

the sales might look good on the books, but at the end of the day once you cover the costs of the product, and then do the math to see what ya grossed per hour putting the stuff down, you will see you are wasting your time. ( but learning how to apply it )

:D

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom