I need a Kohler expert

Chads

Supportive Member
I am putting a brand new motor on my machine, its a Kohler 27 hp , first problem starter would not completly engage. it would spin but not into the flywheel to turn over motor. took it off and back on 3 times it would spin the gear up when it was off just wont engage the fly wheel. So I out on my starte off my other motor. turn the motor right over like it was nothing. Second issue is the motor has no spark , it came with a tag on it saying to hook up a couple of wires together for a low oil pressure shutoff , and it was kinda hard to understand the way it was wrote. It says,

Caution
Oil sentry must be connected

To activate oil sentry for engine shutdown or warning light,
the green wire must be connected.
Shut down - Connect green wire to white wire.
Warning light - Connect green and yellow wires to 12v, user supplied light.

well I have tried many things and still no spark
any body have any knowledge of these machines.
My small engine repair shop couldnt figure it out either and really need to have it going by
monday. This is pretty crappy since this motor is supposed to be pretty simple ,mount it, hook up exhuast, fill with oil, hook up fuel line, hook up battery cable, start right up.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Chad,

I'm not an expert, but basically if the white wire going to the ignition modules is grounded, you will have no spark. If the oil switch is wired as a kill switch the engine will not start until you crank it enough to have oil pressure. This could take a while if you start with a new, empty oil filter (you did put oil in, right?).

Here is (I hope) the wiring diagram for your engine, see if this helps. The oil switch is wired one of two ways. Both are shown, you pick one or the other. If you wire it as shown on the left, it will kill the engine on loss of oil pressure, if you wire it as shown on the right, it just lights a lamp.

wiring.jpg

Chads

Supportive Member
Figured it out, and I always know to check and double check the stupid stuff and missed one. I checked to make sure the starter wasnt hooked up backwards, but I didnt check the battery post which I had hooked back up when I had pulled the machine. the post were hooked up backwards. I switched them and it fired right up. My small engine guy missed it too. Boy do I feel stupid but I am glad its fixed. :oops:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom