I need a new printer

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
my printer blew up Sunday
My printing needs have increased substantially since the CCW gig
Seems I'm buying ink cartridges every couple weeks

what printer is the most ink economical ?

..L.T.A.

Giorgio

Name
Giorgio
A color laser would be most ink economical. Especially, when you refill your own toner cartridges.

i think Brother still holds the title as most inkjet efficient.

Able 1

Name
Keith
I got this one from a dentist that I clean for. It's a Brother MFC-9840CDW printer,scanner,copy machine, and fax... I love the thing, lots of buttons though! :icon_redface:
View attachment 1475

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
We just recently purchased a Brother MFC-8950DW. Black & white all in one machine with a 12000 page toner option for 150.00 bucks at most supply stores. Also has built in WIFI and Airprint which is nice if you have a Ipad/iPhone. Full duplexing and all kinds of neat options. I have owned a lot of printers and this one is by far the best. BTW, the bad thing on the Brother color lasers is if you run out of any color it will shut the machine down. Thats why I stayed black & white.

ruff

Name
Ofer Kolton
I've been using Dell color lasers. They're great and good customer service
Great dependable printer. Relatively the best (lowest) cost of ink. Does not shut on you if one color is low.
A good laser color printer will cost a little more but will save quite a bit.

Personally I don't like the multipurpose ones. They seem to do nothing really well. All I want my printer to do is print, but do it well and be dependable. So far Dell has been the best.

Last edited:

steve g

Name
steve garrett
I have a brother color laser printer, similar to able 1's machine. it works great holds quite a bit of paper and you are not constantly having to buy ink that costs a fortune. I flat out refuse to buy HP anything after being hosed so bad on ink for years. it also seemed to run out right at the worst times and when I needed it the most. The scanner on my machine has it through the doc feeder and just face down under the lid. I also hated that my HP ink jet machines made all sorts or noises and movements just thinking about doing any printing. it seems like it made odd noises for 30 seconds at least until something actually printed. I think I paid 80 bucks for reman toners that were used and refilled by a company online, they work just as well. the only think I don't like about my brother machine is its a little confusing to get connected to wi fi and getting the right printer drivers loaded on my computer isn't easy for some reason either. just had a computer crash and have yet to get the drivers on and running for the printer to work wireless again.

GCCLee

Supportive Member
Name
C. Lee
At home we use this:
Epson WorkForce 845
All in One
Wifi (Epson App for your phone)
Color
2 trays
Scanner
Fax ( we don't use it)
SD & and a ton of other cards compatiable

Between 3 PC's and 2 Phones we Love it.

HP makes some small office machines that are really affordable and you can actually run pretty hard if you do your own flyers and stuff, but then your at $80+ per color cartridge so....
Don't forget places like Quill for Cartridges.

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Laser is the only way to go as far as consumable costs. WAY less costly.

I have 2 samsung colors and 2 hp black. Love the samsungs, hate the HP. HP is not good about driver updates imo, and both the autofeed scanner beds suck.

Get one that can print on both sides automatically, saves paper where you can have documents with front and backside print.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
thanks Gents

i looked at a Brother, Dell and HP today..all B&W laser
the Brother looks to be the best value so far

I'll look more tomorrow .

..L.T.A.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
here ya go Larr...
ya WRITE wit the sharp end..
correct the mistakes wit the other....
PENCIL.jpg

SMRBAP

Supportive Member
Name
Anthony
Even though I despise HP - I'd do that before brother, I went through 4 MFC (something or others) in a 2 year period. Still have a stock of toner carts, like 6, I never got to. I kill trees - though. So maybe with less load they'd do better.

Look at the duty cycle - make sure you won't print more than 75% of what that rating is - and don't ever buy a laserjet with a separate imaging drum. Make sure each toner cart has it's imaging drum. You'll spend less on consumables imo.

Doug Cox

Supportive Member
Name
Doug Cox
Larry- I've had a Brother MFC-495cw for a few years and it has worked flawlessly. Cost 100 bucks. Color. All in One. Wireless. And sits on my desk unlike Ables.

Becker

Name
Becker
I have 2 printers hooked to my computer.

For black only I use a laser brother..

Color an HP, about to buy a new color printer. Going with a wifi printer next time.

Dan

Supportive Member
Name
Dan
thanks Gents

i looked at a Brother, Dell and HP today..all B&W laser
the Brother looks to be the best value so far

I'll look more tomorrow .

..L.T.A.

Yep. Like I said the mfc-8950dw is by far the best bang for the buck out there. Do yourself a favor and look at the specs on brothers website. Notice I only directed you to the best. Contact me if you have any questions.

rick imby

Name
Rick
The least expensive way to print is with a CIS system also called a CISS (Continuous INkflow system). I have one hooked to an old HP k5400 that I have literally gone through over a gallon of black ink. It is around 100 bucks for a gallon of black ink (ebay) and you just refill the bottle on the CIS. I also bought the CIS for $80 on ebay and it came with I think two pints of black ink and a pint of each of the other colors. Yes $80 for the CIS and Pints of ink. It is $80 for a set of cartridges alone.

Rick

If you buy an HP only buy the Office Jet "PRO". If you are buying and refilling cartridges the "PRO" will get almost twice as many copies from their XL cartridges as you get from any of the Office Jet printers.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom