I need a power inverter

What do I actually want?

I need something that I can run a steamer off for red stains and possibly a vacuum or small spotter.

How will I hook it up?

Is there one that is portable that can be recharged?

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
danielc said:
What do I actually want?

I need something that I can run a steamer off for red stains and possibly a vacuum or small spotter.

How will I hook it up?

Is there one that is portable that can be recharged?

Yeah, go with Larry's suggestion. There are no portables that big that I know of. Even if you built a portable with a full-size vehicle battery it would only run your steamer or vacuum for just a hair over 30 minutes.

If you want to install one in your van, the current draw from the battery to the inverter will be in excess of 140 amps, so will need to be wired with welding-cable sized wire. Unless the vehicle has a special alternator, the battery will still slowly drain even with the engine idling (your typical alternator has to spin quite fast to provide full output). It can be done, but only realistic if you need short periods of steaming and/or vacuuming.

Here's an example of a decent quality 2000W inverter with high peak output (good for starting motors like a vac):

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-PV2000 ... 044&sr=8-1

It would be wired direct to the vehicle's battery with heavy cables.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
My brother Dan had one installed on his Four Runner for tailgating. It drives a 300 watt sound system, I'm not sure of the brand but I thought he told me it could do 3-4-hours. ??? The off road store next door sold it and installed it for him.

K P

I use a 750w one that has alligator clips to the battery,use it for a auxilary fan in the summer.Probably go to 1000 w this way but that is not going to do a portable.

Bob Savage

Name
Bob Savage
Dainel,

Do you want this device for AC power where there is no power available at the jobsite?

Larry described a gasoline powered inverter/generator that is self contained. It has it's own alternator that produces DC voltage, and then digitally converts it to AC voltage (up to 2200 watts).

The digital AC inverter/generator is quieter than a standard mechanical AC generator, and is able to run at lower RPM's, thus saving fuel, whereas a standard mechanical AC generator has to run at 3600 RPM all the time.

Dan Gardner described a power inverter, that hooks directly up to your van 12 VDC battery, and converts that DC voltage to AC voltage.

They are 2 different animals.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
Bob Savage said:

true that, Bob
and it's good you clarified ..'cept one ain't worth a chit for what he wants to do

might be fine for a radio at a tailgate party
But plug in 50ft-75ft extension cord , run into an empty and try and vac a whole house with a vac that draws 12 amps .
Forget about running a rotary or similar tool .

AND why burn gas having a van engine running? ....don't make $en$e to me

Dan'l, just buy a 2000wt inverter generator and be done with it.
I might, maybe better mention...since it's YOU....
DON'T use it indoors ....set it just outside the entrance when in use

..L.T.A.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Erskine Allin said:
....don't make $en$e to me

Which is why I suggested he go with your suggestion in the first place. Yes, a 2kw inverter will indeed run a vac even at the end of a 50' ext. cord, but battery life will be laughable, and alternators replaced aplenty.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
dgardner said:
Erskine Allin said:
....don't make $en$e to me

Which is why I suggested he go with your suggestion in the first place. Yes, a 2kw inverter will indeed run a vac even at the end of a 50' ext. cord, but battery life will be laughable, and alternators replaced aplenty.

yep, which is why suggested the inverter generator .
Small and light weight (relatively)
quiet and efficient.

..L.T.A.

dgardner

Name
Dan Gardner
Hmm... this thread was started by Daniel, Dan replied, and Richard chimed in with his brother Dan's experience. What were we talking about?

Yea the Honda looks nice but I'm not spending a grand.

I like the one Larry posted and I need at least 1500 watts to run the steamer.

One job will pay for it.

I researched a few others and I think the smaller 50lb 2000W is what I want and need.

Dolly Llama

Number 5
Name
Larry Capitoni
danielc said:
Yea the Honda looks nice but I'm not spending a grand.

I like the one Larry posted and I need at least 1500 watts to run the steamer.

One job will pay for it.

I researched a few others and I think the smaller 50lb 2000W is what I want and need.

the Generac brand one is a pretty decent unit from the research I've done.
Some Lowes stores stock them, all can order it

..L.T.A.

Mike Draper

http://www.theinverterstore.com/?gclid=CMOq_I-xiq4CFUKFQAodtGqX5g

Call them and tell them what your needs are. they will tell you what size you need.

inv3.jpg

I bought the generac Larry recommended and so far happy with it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAUu3_7hzIo&feature=youtu.be

S

sam miller

Erskine Allin said:
[quote="Bob Savage":jqx84u2a]

true that, Bob
and it's good you clarified ..'cept one ain't worth a chit for what he wants to do

might be fine for a radio at a tailgate party
But plug in 50ft-75ft extension cord , run into an empty and try and vac a whole house with a vac that draws 12 amps .
Forget about running a rotary or similar tool .

AND why burn gas having a van engine running? ....don't make $en$e to me

Dan'l, just buy a 2000wt inverter generator and be done with it.
I might, maybe better mention...since it's YOU....
DON'T use it indoors ....set it just outside the entrance when in use

..L.T.A.[/quote:jqx84u2a]

My first truckmmount a steamgenie sgs 36 on a trailer I parked it in my Sister inlaws garage and went to work half way through the job I got dizzy and it hit me I'm killing myself LARRY!

Thats a bad sit in sleep commercial where the guy says YOUR KILLING ME LARRY! really annoying.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom