I'd rather be angry..

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
Excellent post Bryan............................well except if I sent him my note, it might just make matters worse! :icon_twisted:

J/K
I agree with the apology too! :neutral:

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
Wow. If I didn't know better I would assume that Bryan had been trained by the great Ken Snow.

Steve

PS One of my favorite sayings (which I probably co-opted from Ken) is "Run your business based on your customer's emotions but NEVER do business emotionally." Like Bryan (and Ken) say, word up.) "Chalk it up to marketing, fix your employee systems and move forward while feeling magnanimous." (I had to look that one up!)

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
I don't know where you guys live but a drive into the suburbs nowadays is anything BUT quick.
Quick is like an hour or more for a pre-inspection in these parts when you include driving, face time.

Reactions: Derek

Steve Toburen

Supportive Member
Durango, Colorado/Santiago, Dominican Republic
Name
Steve Toburen
The phrase is " jus sayin"..

You wannabe urban hipster dufus
Thas pretty funny. I had it as "I'm jus sayin..." And then I thought, "OK, one of the board Nazis here will bust me for bad grammar" so I "fixed" it. Can't win here.

And BTW... it is "Doofus"!

Mr. Urban Hipster Wannabe

PS Glad to hear you are "working on it". Staying in business (much less improving one) has always been a "moving target".

Reactions: Mikey P

Jim Pemberton

MB Exclusive.
Name
Jim Pemberton
Do you really want to build a bridge back to this guy? I am in complete support of the wise advice you've been given by Mssrs Ohaleck and Toburen, but that guy still shows signs of a personality disorder at the least.

I HOPE he doesn't contact you....for your sake Mikey

Call me cynical...

Able 1

Name
Keith
I don't know where you guys live but a drive into the suburbs nowadays is anything BUT quick.
Quick is like an hour or more for a pre-inspection in these parts when you include driving, face time.

Yeah, you all can do your Pre-inspections.. Time IS money, if I have to throw in a little here and there I'm still saving money and making more.

Name
Lee Stockwell
Times have changed over the last 30 years even in my laid-back western Kentucky market. People are busy, time is precious, most aren't patient enough for a "pre-inspection visit." 85% of our work is at least annual repeat, and we only make a few "inspect and bid" trips.

We've had more than a few eccentric Californians retire here in the last few years. Most are alright, the fruits and nuts usually move back there.

FredC

Village Idiot
I think I can speak for others that we've met, or have even been involved with, such people, and know that anyone who makes that kind of statement is going to be someone you do NOT want to have any going relationship with, either professional or personal.

Hey now....I've been that guy. At car dealers, with service pros, etc.

I've walked out of places signing my disapproval....told people to pack their shit and gtfo out of my house....etc AFTER they said "well we'll do it for that".....

afterwards developing long term relationships with others........

Depending on the day I might have told Mike the same thing..........ESPECIALLY OVER $25....I can see where that might seem counter-intuitive since I'm only being charged $25 dollars more....at the same time he is haggling over $25 afaic.............no matter the number he has in his head he is discounting

Last edited:

Mikey P

Administrator
Haggling would take two people going back and forth with offers and counter offers..

It was more like..

Did my office give you AN ESTIMATE?
No they told me the price of 225
Uhh....
Leave!

FredC

Village Idiot
Fred would love Santa Cruz.

I'm sure I would...I love other cultures. :D

btw...I'm not against wheelin and dealin, hagglin, negotiatin, or even bribes................just saying I might have very well done the same.......

idreadnought

Supportive Member
Name
Richard
What I have heard is the biggest reason people don't do in home estimates is because of the hour it takes? Because I work a large geographic area sometimes in home estimates take me over an hour. However it makes me tons of money imo. First some customers prefer an in home estimate so they are comfortable with the price before the day of cleaning. Second it probably doubles my conversions. If a customer answers the phone and they are a target customer I want to go do an estimate for them. The estimate gives me a chance to create a relationship with the client and also sell my process. I get a percentage of customers that think my prices are a little high but after I explain the process and sell the job they still book. My conversions from in home estimates is in the 90%s.

To be short if your skimming, An hour investment into a new client is not a large investment when you consider the lifetime revenue potential of a new client.

Reactions: Desk Jockey

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I agree Richard. It also sets you apart from the competition because they don't want to give estimates. Sure the up front costs are higher but the potential for sales is better than most any other thing you can do.

You have a captive audience, they invited you into there home. All you have to do is close the deal and it's not that hard, because they are already ready to make a purchase. We don't high pressure sell, just look over the area, ask about there concerns and address their questions.

rhyde

Name
rhyde
There are things you just can't price over the phone with us repairs are a biggie ....how many here have has that "average size sofa" turn into a 5 pc sectional or" average size bedroom" turn into a 2,000 sqft suite ?

Problem is people want instant pricing info! The bigger companies send out a sales rep for a no obligation price quote on all manor of their services maybe thats in your future?

Shane Deubell

Supportive Member
This is one of those bb debates that's been around forever...
Round and round.

We are not giving in home estimates for small jobs, if you find it profitable, then go for it.
I personally do not.

Desk Jockey

Name
Rico Suave
I believe its the clientele you serve, some expect that level of service other do not. In fact they would be irritated with it because all they want is a price. I don't believe there is a right or wrong it's all about who you serve.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom