If Big Brother took the internet away..

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Ron Werner said:
wouldn't affect me much at all.
Now what if the cellular network went down? Back to the days of the answering machine.

I remember hitting phone booths before jobs.....when was the last time you saw a public phone booth on a street corner?

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
I think the impact would be great for some if the internet was only taken away from YOUR business.

It does happen if black hat methods are used for SEO.

Google will give the cheating business the boot.

One thing that can do it is something that you may be seeing other cleaners doing in your area.

Which is to use fake address/listing in multiple towns in Google Place listings

If you do searches you can see that business that get the boot when they get discovered have a very hard time getting a listing back. (It can take years)

If you know of anyone doing this in your area.

Reporting or flagging for Google might be an easy way to get rid of the cheaters.

Hoody

Supportive Member
Name
Steven Hoodlebrink
They have one right outside the carry out at the corner. But I guess your point is they're not as common as they once were.

In all honesty. I think most my generation and even younger would absolute SPAZ without having internet. Kids would actually have to go outside and entertain themselves, which could be a good or a bad thing.

Newman

Name
Chris Newman
Chaos and pestilence will prevail.

715H1Q5HVPL._SL500_AA300_.gif

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Dave Yoakum said:
I think the impact would be great for some if the internet was only taken away from YOUR business.

One thing that can do it is something that you may be seeing other cleaners doing in your area.

If you do searches you can see that business that get the boot when they get discovered have a very hard time getting a listing back. (It can take years)

Reporting or flagging for Google might be an easy way to get rid of the cheaters.

Google will give you the boot even if the addresses are real.

Google is an ignorant inforcer at best.

In the real world justice is blind...but in the Google world justice is indifferent.

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
Brian R said:
[quote="Dave Yoakum":24xdpd3w]I think the impact would be great for some if the internet was only taken away from YOUR business.

Google will give you the boot even if the addresses are real.

Google is an ignorant inforcer at best.

In the real world justice is blind...but in the Google world justice is indifferent.[/quote:24xdpd3w]

Are you talking about a real listing that is a duplicate listing?

If so it still would be a violation.

I've seen cleaners that have over 10 Google Places listing in multiple areas and I'm waiting to see how long they can get away with it.

I'm surprised that their competition doesn't rat them out to keep everyone on a level playing field.

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
It would hurt me bad for tile and stone, but I'd be okay for carpet since I have commercial accts that pretty much cover my costs to survive. There's other ways to get the message out besides the internet, I was doing it before Algore's invention :mrgreen:

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
I have commercial accts
if the internet went down...
i wonder how those commercial accts would be doin'........

as used to the internet as this society has become....
i believe that we would ALL be raising chickens an' hogs and living on our own gardens...and we as a society would be set BACK...100 years...........AFTER the anarchy and looting has subsided.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Rainbow Carpet And Upholstery Cleaning
The U.S. Post Office would be back in black instead of getting ready for a government bailout.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
Art Kelley said:
The U.S. Post Office would be back in black instead of getting ready for a government bailout.
keep yor shirt on Art....
there would be a LOT more happen than just THAT..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bee Busy

Name
Bee Busy
bob vawter said:
I have commercial accts
if the internet went down...
i wonder how those commercial accts would be doin'........

as used to the internet as this society has become....
i believe that we would ALL be raising chickens an' hogs and living on our own gardens...and we as a society would be set BACK...100 years...........AFTER the anarchy and looting has subsided.
of course that would happen...we wouldn't even be cleaning carpets if Algore's invention :mrgreen: just disappeared...I thinks Mike's question was if we couldn't advertise or show our business on Algore's invention :mrgreen: correct? My accts would suffer a bit as well because Algore's invention :mrgreen: is vital to their advertising, but they would survive by going back to old school advertising methods from the past

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
just to gear up machinery to build CASH REGISTERS and land lines would take a year or so.......

Brian R

Name
Brian Robison
Good point....I doubt anyone would be getting the carpets cleaned if it disappeared across the board.

But the hypothetical of just us cleaners losing it would just mean going back to basics.

Door to door probably would be such a bad idea, again with the phone books and newspapers.

I think the companies already doing that....and not putting stock in the internet advertising now would suddenly be a huge step ahead of us.

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
bob vawter said:
[quote="Art Kelley":3hmmwnyz]The U.S. Post Office would be back in black instead of getting ready for a government bailout.
keep yor shirt on Art....
there would be a LOT more happen than just THAT..... :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3hmmwnyz]

You remember WW11 Bob. The American people would rise up to the challenge.

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
You remember WW11 Bob. The American people would rise up to the challenge.
Art i remember when ya had ta CRANK a telephone to make a call.....HOWEVER..
these young kids TODAY would PERISH.....cuz they're lazy little phucktards!

Askal

RIP
Name
Al
All of the internet vendors would be out of a job but if you are buying a widget then you would go to the real store and buy it. The internet workers would be working at a real store. Unemployment would actually go down, inflation up, etc.. I'm not an economist nor do I play one on TV but I think because some of us are so reliant upon the internet that we feel everyone else is too and that is not always the case.
Al

Art Kelley

Supportive Member
Name
Askal said:
All of the internet vendors would be out of a job but if you are buying a widget then you would go to the real store and buy it. The internet workers would be working at a real store. Unemployment would actually go down, inflation up, etc.. I'm not an economist nor do I play one on TV but I think because some of us are so reliant upon the internet that we feel everyone else is too and that is not always the case.
Al

It's actually not out of the realm of possible events to happen in the future. Kind of like taking your computer in when a virus has disabled it. We all know what happened when Skynet took over control of the internet. It was Cornholio Island.

S

sam miller

If big brother or Gov shut it down, 80 percent of what I do is repeat referral I would just do mailers to repeats and stay in phone book and use Pennysaver for imediate results

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
The internet is overrated and it will never take off.

I'm ready to quit mine and go back to the Yellow pages and telemarketing.

Who needs 5-6 jobs a day for next to nothing anyway?

It's too much work to ask, "Would you prefer Tuesday or Thursday?" To clients that really don't care about price.

randy

Name
Randy
Dave Yoakum said:
The internet is overrated and it will never take off.

I'm ready to quit mine and go back to the Yellow pages and telemarketing.

Who needs 5-6 jobs a day for next to nothing anyway?

It's too much work to ask, "Would you prefer Tuesday or Thursday?" To clients that really don't care about price.

Come on Dave have some compassion. Some of us have worked hard getting over the emotional injuries from past telephone sales. !gotcha!

bob vawter

Grassy Knoller
Name
bob vawter
the problem being...if the internet went down....
so would MOST of your custys INCOME as well.....
and their carpets would be the last thing on their minds as they're killin' off all the zombies... :twisted:

randy

Name
Randy
Mikey P said:
how long would it take your business to fold?

I'd be toast in two weeks :shock:

50% of our work comes from new customers finding us on the web.

I would be busier than ever running guns to the resistance and building truck bombs out of all the old carpet cleaner vans that you find abandoned along the road. Imagine the boom that you could get out of a junked Vortex.

I mean with all that liquid peroxide you guys have laying around......

Royal Man

Name
Dave Yoakum
randy said:
I would be busier than ever running guns to the resistance and building truck bombs out of all the old carpet cleaner vans that you find abandoned along the road. Imagine the boom that you could get out of a junked Vortex.

I mean with all that liquid peroxide you guys have laying around......
[/quote]

You know that Obama has been monitoring the internet, right?

(They jerked a middle school student out of class a couple of weeks ago for a facebook posting.)

Don't be surprised if a black SUV shows up at your door and whisks you away to a "re-education camp".

Next time use the code sheets that you have been provided with from the resistance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom