If you could only have one prespray.

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
Heres a trick that chem suppliers don't want you to know.

You can use your emulsifier as a prespray.

Not lift up your wand and prespray but mix it as a prespray.

Shhhhh! Don't tell anybody!

And heres another secret.

Your emulsifier has the same basic ingredients or the same ingredients as a prespray only product.

Just choose a emulsifier/prespray with all the right ratios of solvents and surfactants.

Or in other words a well balanced emulsifier.

TimP

So far I like Judson O2 for nylon/polyester and based on price. However I think Ultrapac and zone perfect deliver better results. For olefin/nasties I've been using prochem power strike with impressive results, I also have some bridgepoint power break to replace the power strike. I'm not impressed with Judson for nasties or olefin. Judson stuff is an excellent product for what it's designed for but it's not a grease cutter. I'm interested in seeing how the Judson powder works. As far as the judson rinse I think it's about the best rinse I've used other than a stronger emulsifier which I prefer to rinse the fiber not flood it with surfactants. I usually rinse with acid otherwise, fab set mostly.

Chads

Supportive Member
I'm sorry if I had only one chem to use would be Prochem powerburst its hands down the best from nastys to the very up kept houses I just dilute it down and don't spray as heavy.

Larry Cobb

Name
Larry Cobb
Jimmy;

Here's a fact for you...

Presprays are formulated for use at dilutions 4 to 16 times stronger than...

Cleaners for use thru the floor wand.

They will both have some cleaning effect, but you will be wasting a significant portion if you use them incorrectly.

Larry

SRI Cleaning

Name
Anthony Firmani
Also, some of the strong enzyme cleaners say not for use on stain resistant carpets. Do they really damage carpets? Or is there only a possibility of them doing damage?

TimP

Anthony,

The reason powerburst and other strong cleaners aren't safe for stain resistant carpet is because they remove the protector and therefore void the stain resistant warranty. However the need for powerburst for cleaning means that the customer didn't have a warranty anyway. Either the protector had worn off due to age and traffic or the carpet has been abused anyhow. That's why it's best to change up your pre conditioner for your soil load and carpet type.

G

How often do you worry about 'too high of pH might void the warranty"? :?

Jimmy L

Name
Jimmy L
CTI's extreme powder can be used for either an emulsifier or prespray.

Says so on the label.

I've seen people who use PC's Dry Slurry do the same.

DevilDog

Well Josh, if you are a professional (and apparently you are not) then you would be concerned about screwing up the protectors in carpet. High PH can do that.

Do the test yourself.

The idea is to not just get it clean...but to protect any protectors in the carpet. Of course with so many hacks that frequent this board....that idea probably is not well received.

It embarrasses me at times to read what some of you do with your clients carpets...not because it is good for the client and carpet...but because it is good for you.

Shame on you hacks.

DevilDog

Chris A

Name
Chris
"Shame on you hacks"

Right, because on an abused carpet, the warranty hasn't already been voided from misuse? Unless your signing off on Mrs. Piff's warranty card every 12 months, she doesn't give a shit, and if its that dirty, neither should you, the most important thing is Getting it clean.[/quote]

Chris A

Name
Chris
... and how much is stain resist gonna help in that situation anyway? Stain resist doesn't mean soil-proof

Fon Johnson

I know you asked for one, but that is about impossible to do.. It would come down to two products anyway: Super TLP, and Element 8.

1) Element 8 works for just about any residential or commercial job. It won't get all of the really tough stuff (bad grease and petroleum products) but will get most. You can boost it with a citrus solvent and it is darn near perfect. I use it as a pre-spray and rinse with it. What residue it may leave (mostly if used to heavy) is a light powder that will vacuum away.

2) Super TLP from Accelerated Chemical Technologies (Duane Oxley.) It is a blend with a Solvent in it, and will will get just about anything. I use it as a pre spray and rinse with clear water or Ultra Rinse.

3) Clean Streak. This is a powder from Duane that we use for restaurants and really bad commercial work. With a shot of citrus solvent, there is not much of anything it won't touch. If you like Power Burst, then you will LOVE this stuff! (Yes, I've used Power Burst too.)

4) Ultra Rinse (from Duane, again) as our rinse agent. I use this following Super TLP and Clean Streak. It is an acid rinse, but contains more than just acid. I'll explain this in a minute..

5) Citrusolvit for a booster (also from Duane.) I add a little of this whenever there is a B A D case of grease, or if there is a petroleum product on the carpet, or for such things as tape residue. All of the above work so well, I don't need much of this. The above also almost eliminate the use of spotters. The only spot cleaners I really use are red relief, stain magic and a solvent spotter for getting those bad greasy spots (usually petroleum based) and ink, etc. that you "uncover" as you clean.

I always start with the least aggressive chemical needed. After a few years of this, I can look at the job and know which cleaner I need. While there is more than 1 listed, I will rarely have to use more than one on a job. After YEARS of trying stuff, these are my staples. I know that if I can't make any carpet look good with these, then it is pretty much so time for replacement. As you see, there are 3 pre-sprays, 2 rinses, and a booster (Element 8 acts as pre-spray and rinse.) The reason for using an acid rinse comes down to pure chemistry. An alkaline cleaner (pre-spray) will break down the organic soil. The acid rinse will break down the inorganic soil, as well as facilitate the removal of the pre-spray.

Duane Oxley

Moon Unit
Name
Duane Oxley
Thanks, Fon...

Jimmy...

I don't know about other formulations, but the ones I formulate are not the same for emulsifier vs. prespray.

As Larry said, dilution rates are different, but, in addition to being a different chemical makeup from the prespreays, OneStep emulsifier (liquid and powder versions) also has a corrosion inhibitor / anti- scale product added as well. This was especially necessary with the advent of heat exchangers as a heat source, since the tubes in many of them are very small and tend to clog.

I can tell you this from experience, because when I first formulated OneStep liquid about 3 years ago and sent it to a dealer who dealt exclusively with heat exchange systems, we had a problem with clogging and had to find a way to rectify it.

It's true that OneStep can be used as a prespray, however...

If it's not intended to be used as an emulsifier, chances are that it doesn't have anti- scaling agents in it.

By the way...

SuperTLP is the product that Paul Brown raves about. He calls it, "Duane's Liquid Heat" and says that each ounce you add is like raising the temperature of your system 10 degrees. He found out about that one time a while back when he had to do a job with cold water...

Ricky Thurman

I am absolutely on board with Jeremy using Cobb's Powermax.....I haven't tried Fibermaxx's Powermaxx.

I think Judson's O2 is really only typical BB hype. I went through a case and never was really satisfied even with the Hot Sauce Modifier (although I do greatly appreciate that they sent the modifier as a free sample).

If I could only use one...Powermax is it.

Ultra-pac and Grand Slam are excellent, but way heavy on the butyl and a little pricey.

Cobb's liquid Preconditioner Concentrate is pretty good, but I can't stand the smell and it gives me headaches.

Magic Wand's Trashed is decent and works well when boosted with Citra-Pure, but the price just keeps going up, up, up.

I've tried a handful of others, but I can't remember em all or why I didn't like em.

J Scott W

Name
Jeffrey Scott Warrington
DevilDog said:
Absolutely no doubt I would take Planet Guard. If you cannot clean with that stuff....get the f out of this business because you are f'ing clueless. And I am serious.

DevilDog

Thanks, Todd. I expect sales of our Green Balance products to sky rocket now that you are endorsing the competition.

Scott Warrington

G

c_adkins said:
"Shame on you hacks"

Right, because on an abused carpet, the warranty hasn't already been voided from misuse? Unless your signing off on Mrs. Piff's warranty card every 12 months, she doesn't give a shit, and if its that dirty, neither should you, the most important thing is Getting it clean.
[/quote]

Good point, but I guess Toad is too much of a pro to understand.

timnelson

Todd,
Jade called. Her shift is over at the massage parlor and she needs you to pick her up, please.

captaincarpet

Name
Thomas Cermak
I agree that PC power burst(11-11.5) is a super cleaner, but only for "restorative" cleanings where the carpet is beyond warranty and needs "saving".
We carry six different pre spray's as well as 3 "boosters" to use as the fiber, soiling, and situation demands.

pre-spray

CTI of Pro's Choice's EXTREME CLEAN is awesome....If you haven't tried it I'm sorry...Do yourself a favor and try a Jar....it can be used as an emulsifier as well....it is even written on the label that you can use them for both.....

Fon Johnson

If any of you guys who like power burst and extreme clean would like to try a sample of clean streak, super tlp and ultra rinse, PM me with your address. I talked to Duane today, and he is sending samples out to some of my buddies to try. If you don't like it, then you have not lost anything, but I think most will like it. 8)

G

DirtBuster said:
I use Trashed Green, if the carpet is bad I add Oxyblaster

I keep Trashed Green on the van for when I do run into a carpet that requires a neutral pH. Good stuff but kinda pricey.

Did you buy your machine from Magic Wand too?

Just keep an open mind and you'll do good in your business.

Visiting carpet cleaning boards is a good start. Keep coming here and ask plenty of questions, there's alot of knowledge to be gained on these boards.

Farenheit251

I'm going to agree with Jimmy twice tonight.
Double up on your dosage before mixing different products together. I originally got this idea when I tipped the hydroforce over on a filthy commercial. Carpet was coming clean just fine but was significantly cleaner in that spot. Don't worry about residue until your can rub a white towel on the traffic areas without much transfer. Too many cleaners leaving carpet residue free but still dirty(?). I've been trying to use up all the overhyped products I ordered that didn't work. Mixing them really strong to use them up and damn if they don't work real well now.
Second item was using emulsifier as a prespray. Doing alot of restaurants my usual liquids never worked as well as a powdered enzyme. Ran out one night on a filthy chinese buffet and mixed Chemspecs 90 (old version) and it kicked ass. Seemed it was the powder and not the enzyme. Clean it and Masterblends extraction powder also work well both ways. My Prochem distributor tells me Dry Slurry was originally designed to be a powdered prespray. Actually my plan was to pick a good powder and buy in bulk using only one cleaner and my spotters.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom